• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Truly, People Come Into Our Lives For A Reason, A Season, Or A Lifetime

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
There once was a sad little boy who was in search of happiness and so wanted to meet God. He knew it was a long trip to where God lived, so he packed his suitcase with cupcakes, several cans of coke and started on his journey.

When he had gone about three blocks, he saw an elderly woman sitting on a park bench watching the pigeons. The boy sat down next to her and opened his suitcase. He was about to take a drink, his coke when he noticed the lady looked hungry, so he offered her a cupcake. She gratefully accepted and smiled at him. Her smile was so chanting that he wanted to see it again, so he offered a coke cane as well. Once again she smiled at him. The boy was delighted!

They sat there all afternoon, eating and smiling without saying a word. As it began to grow dark, the boy got up to leave but before he had gone no more that a few steps, he turned around and ran back to the old woman, giving her a big, big hug. She gave her the biggest smile ever.

When the boy arrived home his mother was surprised by the look of joy on his face. She asked: "what has made you so HAPPY today?" He replied: "I had lunch with God." Before his mother could respond, he added: "You know what? She's got the most beautiful smile in the whole world!"

And when the woman went home, she told her son that she had lunch with God and he was much younger than believed.

Quote:
Truly, people come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Take no one for granted and embrace all equally with JOY... we never know when we may meet God!

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
This lovely story has been sitting here lonely for over five years just waiting for a comment. I stumbled in here "by accident" so I'll make a comment to keep this lonely story company, maybe for another five years.

My husband and I - and our teen-age son - visited India in May 1984. During that time I had a very strange and haunting encounter.

He was a Hindu boy, about the same age as my son., with a very interesting question. "How can I make God my friend?"

What a question! And why on earth would he ask a Sikh? "You're a Hindu, young man. Why not ask a Brahmin?"

"I am a Brahmin. No one gives me an answer that makes sense."

So I give it a try. "If you want God to be your friend, maybe you should be a friend to God."

He perked up at once, then again looked dejected. "I don't know how." He looked hopefully at me.

"When you greet people, you put your hands together and say 'Naamaste," do you not?"

He nodded.

"And when you say that, you are recognising the God in each person, right."

"Yes."

"OK. To be God's friend, greet everyone you meet that way, no matter who they are, and mean it. See the God in everyone you meet."

"OK, I'll do - Wait a minute, you mean EVERYBODY I meet? EVERYBODY?"

"Everybody. It doesn't work unless it's everybody."

"Even Dalits and Shudras?"

"Especially Dalits and Shudras, anyone you believe is less than you are. And people you dislike, too."

"There's no other way?"

"Not that I know of."

Dead silence. Then, suddenly, out of nowhere, a big grin. "OK. I'll try it! I really want God to be my friend."

That's the end of the story. I never saw or heard of the young Brahmin again. I still think about him now and then and wonder whatever became of him.

And I still haven't figured out why he asked a strange Sikh woman such a question.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
haha, using God to over come shyness and inequality.
Awesome! Will definitely try it. It's gona be hard though... I will be in toronto and a million people will go past me....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: