• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The U S A Was Not Founded On Religion

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
The Laws Of America

I know that in this climate of “alternative facts” those of the “religious right” would like us to believe that this country and our Constitution were created under the structure of Judeo-Christianity, Under God. This is NOT true! This is a false statement. Thank goodness those incredibly wise and forward-thinking gentlemen had the wisdom to know that our great nation would populate itself with immigrants from all over the world, bringing with them their own faiths and customs. They correctly wrote into our creation the “Separation of Church and State”, all will worship freely the tenants of their faith. We shall NOT have religious wars!

Soo…any ideas of bringing “God” into our public school should at the very least look like this: Monday will be prayers from the Quran, Tuesday - Hinduism, Wednesday - Judaism, Thursday - Sikhism, Friday, prayers from the different eastern religions. Since there are approximately 20 school days in the month we should be able to accommodate most. To be constitutionally correct we must also include those that practice Satanism and Voodoo.

We sure do need a visit from those founding fathers, to explain quite a few things. A quiet visit under a tree from the son of God to the religious right would also go a long, long way, in explaining how they really, really lost their way.

Theresa Roberts

St. George

Letters: The U.S. was not founded on religion; too many rentals in Santa Clara

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
In fact, several of the Founding Fathers were Deists, who believed that God created the universe with its natural laws and then left it - and us - to its own devices, clearly a non-Christian belief. Amongst the Deists were John Quincy Adams, Ethan Allen, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Thomas Paine, and George Washington. The Christian Right either don't know this or they ignore it and hope everyone else will, too.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
In fact, several of the Founding Fathers were Deists, who believed that God created the universe with its natural laws and then left it - and us - to its own devices, clearly a non-Christian belief. Amongst the Deists were John Quincy Adams, Ethan Allen, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Thomas Paine, and George Washington. The Christian Right either don't know this or they ignore it and hope everyone else will, too.

Thanks for your input.

I just want to understand whether the governing policy (separation of Church & State) is better !

Both world powers (US & China) don't seem to promote State religions.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
No the opposite, whether separation of Church & State is good for a nation.

Both US & China dominate others in terms of Money n Power.

Could it be that having no state religion made them progressive ?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Thanks for your input.

I just want to understand whether the governing policy (separation of Church & State) is better!

Both world powers (US & China) don't seem to promote State religions.
I made this point because right now in the USA there is a gang of very conservative fundamentalist Christian evangelicals who are trying to get the country to declare itself as founded on Christianity. Their primary argument is that the Founding Fathers were all devout Christians. Their plan is ultimately to get everyone either to become Christian or to be forced to get out. They won't succeed, but they cannot be ignored.

Separation of church and state, as well as freedom from religion as well as freedom of religion, were some of the best ideas that Tommy Jefferson et. al. came up with.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Okay but what will they gain ?

The whole idea of state religion is outdated !

If it worked than why do we have globalisation & migration ?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Okay but what will they gain ?

The whole idea of state religion is outdated !

If it worked than why do we have globalisation & migration ?

easy, because of the internet and cheap travel, if you back a hundred years it was a very different scenario, state religion only works if you mushroom people, in today's environment such is impossible. Of course state religion is outdated, in the same way that slavery, sexual inequality and racism are outdated,

what will be gained is control of people

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Very true but

“Live and let live” should be the motto of life.

maybe it should just be 'live'? I am slightly confused, what is the crux of the argument? you say 'but' which implies your statement stands opposite my statement, but it doesn't, surely 'and' would have been a better word than 'but'?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
easy, because of the internet and cheap travel, if you back a hundred years it was a very different scenario, state religion only works if you mushroom people, in today's environment such is impossible. Of course state religion is outdated, in the same way that slavery, sexual inequality and racism are outdated,

what will be gained is control of people

Outdated, to be sure, but they are still facts of life to be coped with on a daily basis.

I don't know about you. but I don't want to live in The Handmaiden's Tale, which would be the result of a state religion in the USA.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Outdated, to be sure, but they are still facts of life to be coped with on a daily basis.

I don't know about you. but I don't want to live in The Handmaiden's Tale, which would be the result of a state religion in the USA.

it will never happen, not now, religion is on the way out, its a means of control, it will be replaced by a way of living that is compatible with universal truth.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
maybe it should just be 'live'? I am slightly confused, what is the crux of the argument? you say 'but' which implies your statement stands opposite my statement, but it doesn't, surely 'and' would have been a better word than 'but'?

In reality what you said is true but am hoping for a better tomorrow where people are free & tolerant. Hope that world would be a peaceful place "live n let live"

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
images

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
it will never happen, not now, religion is on the way out, its a means of control, it will be replaced by a way of living that is compatible with universal truth.

I beg to differ with you. We can just check all the Islamic Republics. In these countries, religious repression is the only way for the honchos to stay glued to their guild thrones cum bidet.

The sad part of all this is that even Israel, the cradle of the 3 Abrahamic religions, wants itself to be called the Jewish State hence ignoring Christianity and Islam, the other two. The American Evangelicals love this idea too because they know after Jesus' return anyone who does not embrace Jesus will be thrown into the boiling cauldron including the Jews.

People fail to understand that "political religion" has its own dogma some sans a deity. The best example of this is Hitler, Mussolini, Franco and others. They all had their own ideologies. The same thing is repeating itself again in Austria, Italy, Germany, Poland, Hungry and many other countries where the ultra-right movements are gaining ground at a hare's pace.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I beg to differ with you. We can just check all the Islamic Republics. In these countries, religious repression is the only way for the honchos to stay glued to their guild thrones cum bidet.

The sad part of all this is that even Israel, the cradle of the 3 Abrahamic religions, wants itself to be called the Jewish State hence ignoring Christianity and Islam, the other two. The American Evangelicals love this idea too because they know after Jesus' return anyone who does not embrace Jesus will be thrown into the boiling cauldron including the Jews.

People fail to understand that "political religion" has its own dogma some sans a deity. The best example of this is Hitler, Mussolini, Franco and others. They all had their own ideologies. The same thing is repeating itself again in Austria, Italy, Germany, Poland, Hungry and many other countries where the ultra-right movements are gaining ground at a hare's pace.

I beg to differ with your beg to differ, look at the world 100 years ago, now look at it today, imagine what it will be like in 100 years, the old men with the white beards will be dead, it will not happen in our lifetime, but in time to come, there will be no religion, its a comforting thought although we will find something else to go to war on

there are many many articles on the subject

Religion Declining, Secularism Surging | HuffPost

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM