• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Spiritual Pendulum

May 22, 2007
THE PENDULUM THEORY

JEEVATMA<----------------MAAN------------------------>PHYSICAL BODY

With WAHEGURU’S blessings allow me to throw light on the three entities described above :-

1) OUR MAAN :- Quoting from JAPJI SAHEB “PUNNI PAPPI AAKHAN NAYE KAR-KAR KARNA LEKH LE JAI” i.e. PAAP (Sin) and PUNN (good deeds) are not just mere karmas to be talked about. Any PAAP or PUNN done with utmost concentration is immediately recorded on to our MAAN (the mind). …Beware…. leave alone committing a sin, even thinking about a sin is considered a PAAP by gurmat.
So our MAAN can be considered a repository storing all the karmas we have indulged in from time immemorial (life after life). Death of the physical body does not mean the death of the MAAN (because death of MAAN is MOKSHA or SALVATION) and after death of the physical body the MAAN as a part of our JEEVATMA (soul) lives on in search of the womb of a mother with matching karma. Depending on which of the karmas (good or bad) are more, one’s SANSKARS (behavior patterns) are designed and this HUKAM is embossed by Almighty on to our MAAN even before the JEEVATMA attains another physical body. We behave according to the HUKAM implanted in our MAAN.
Our MAAN is also the home of the five Satans – KAAM (lust), KRODH (anger), LOBH (greed), MOH (emotional attachment) and AKAHKAR (egotism). This army of five is largely responsible for bringing out the bad in us.

2) OUR JEEVATMA :- In other words it is our soul, the ansh (particle) of the PARAMATMA (The Supreme soul), which is as pure as PARAMATMA, but is surrounded by our MAAN (the culprit) which acts as a hazardous layer between our JEEVATMA and PARAMATMA. Destroying the MAAN will dissipate this layer and our JEEVATMA will merge and become one with the PARAMATMA.

3) OUR PHYSICAL BODY :- Gift of God provided to our soul to achieve the greatest of all mergers, the merger of our SOUL with the SUPREME SOUL. This merger is not possible in any other life form (stony, flora & fauna, animal or even the soul alone). The soul has to reside within a Human being to achieve the merger.

Now have a look at the pendulum of our MAAN. If in your thought or thinking process :-

a) The 5 Satans (bad virtues) are running : You can confirm that the pendulum of your MAAN is bent towards the PHYSICAL BODY because it is for the worldly comforts that one resorts to all sinful means. Remember that despite all your efforts of comforting your PHYSICAL BODY it will die one day, so what is the use of running after it ?

b) Naam is running : You can confirm that the pendulum of your MAAN is bent towards our JEEVATMA (our soul). Remember that it is your SOUL that never dies (till it merges with the PARAMATMA), and keeps changing physical bodies (any of the 84 lakh species that occupy this planet).

Now based on the above pendulum, let us delve on the three types of human existence :-

I. THE WORLDLY ANIMAL :- Such a human being can be labeled a animal in human disguise because the SANSKARS in his MAAN are the lowly of the lowliest. Such people get so absorbed in the MAYA that their MAAN goes into deep sleep and totally forgets the creator of this MAYA. They run after MAYA and the 5 Satans run after them leading them to a dead end where the King of death YAMRAJ awaits them.
The pendulum of the MAAN of such people is bent towards the PHYSICAL BODY, it has remained as such for countless lives, and will remain so for nobody knows how many more lives.

II. THE JIGYASU (TRIER) :- A human being who through the SGGS, the Guru’s teachings, has discovered that NAAM-SIMRAN is the only way to wash the MAAN off all the dirt that has accumulated in it. Has discovered that the MAAN can be conquered and obliterated only by NAAM-SIMRAN. Such people’s MAAN has woken up a little and they have started to walk the spiritual path, but MILES TO GO BEFORE HE SLEEPS.
Such people our Gurubani says have TAMSI virtue i.e the pendulum of the MAAN of such people keeps swaying sometimes towards the JEEVATMA ( such are the times when amidst NAAM-SIMRAN your concentration is intense ), and sometimes towards the PHYSICAL BODY ( such are the times when instead of WAHEGURU you are thinking about any wordly matter ).

III. THE ACHIEVER, THE CONQUEROR, THE KING :- One whose MAAN is fully awakened and who has managed to merge his JEEVATMA with the PARAMATMA, thus breaking the shackles of birth and death for ever. His SOUL holds all the virtues of the SUPREME SOUL.
The pendulum of the MAAN of such people is bent towards the JEEVATMA, and by Almighty’s blessing remains that way always.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Pritpal ji,

But God created everything in the universe, and willed all into being. Did Waheguru create something filthy? Did Waheguru will evil into being? Just thought questions.

Respectfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 11, 2007
Waheguru creates. Willed it all. The evil is neither here or there. Exsists everywhere just like good. Guru nanak is sent as a person to show the world what god is about and how to be the best of what you are. Its like you make a car you also need to know the full working of it to keep it running. A manual. If you dont tell someone you need to check the car oil tyres filters the car will have faults and in the end wont work or last. So the question is not wether the car will last, that depends on how you look after it. If it goes fast or slow its dependant on the driver. Guru Granth sahibs teachings could be thought of as a sort of manual on how to run this body mind and soul. Just my add-in. :)

May 22, 2007
WJKK WJKF,

Dear Aad0002ji, “ Did Waheguru create something filthy? “ is not a question for the one’s willing to learn from the SGGS. Dear Sir, As NANAK says the rat of time is constantly chewing upon therope of our invaluable life, and there is no time for questioning God. Rest assured that being born through a womb is the biggest sorrow that exists (the filthiest thing possible), and this has come upon us due to the deposition of sins (done by us) in our MAAN i.e due to our doings and not God’s (as you suggest). He is merely performing his HUKAM by creating us again in Physical form to pay for our sins. THIS IS PAYBACK TIME DUDE !!!
But it has been like this for countless lives before this. Do we want to go through the same rigmarole again and again. Don’t we want to bring an end to all this and go further ahead ? Coming back life after life is something like if a student fails in one class and is asked to remain in the same class and do the same studies again for another year. Don’t we want to get promoted to a higher class ? Just ask our souls.
As far as the PENDULUM goes, me neech (as Cheema humbly says and as should everyone) would like to add that all deeds done in which the PHYSICAL BODY and our MAAN is in unison, are embossed on to our MAAN or mind. For example to commit a murder, rape, robbery etc. one has to have full concentration because there is fear of been caught by law & order. In this case the body and mind both will be under intense concentration and the deed would be embossed onto the MAAN. In contrast while reciting gurbani or naam-simran, the body (mouth) is doing it’s job but our mind is elsewhere. So there is no unison and such deeds are not embossed on to the MAAN. DEEDS LIKE NAAM-SIMRAN WHICH CLEANSE OUR MAAN OUR NOT BEEN EMBOSSED, WHEREAS BAD DEEDS ARE BEING EMBOSSED. ALL OF US ARE BEING BORN WITH A MAAN (MIND) COMPOUNDED BY BAD DEEDS AND THIS CAN EXPLAIN THE DETERIORATION OF MORAL VALUES ALL AROUND US.
DURING GURBANI RECITAL OR NAAM-SIMRAN MAKE IT A POINT TO TRY TO LISTEN TO WHAT YOU ARE RECITING. THE SHABAD OR BANI WILL FLOW THROUGH OUR EARS AND REACH YOUR MAAN. THERE WILL BE UNITY IN THE ACTIONS OF YOUR PHYSICAL BODY AND MAAN AND NAAM WOULD BE EMBOSSED ON YOUR MAAN THUS STARTING THE PROCESS OF SPIRITUAL CLEANSING.

………..These views are from Giani Sant SinghJi Maskeen’s kathas. More than anybody his kathas changed me. Please listen to them to bring about change in you. God Bless !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Pritpal_singh

Why do you think I am questioning God? I am merely questioning you-- think about the origins of good and evil.

May 22, 2007
WJKK WJKF,

Muslims & Christians advocate the presence of two powers : 1) The power of Good i.e. GOD and 2) The power of Bad i.e. SATAN (SHAITAN), and, the world is nothing but a conflict between these two forces.

Hinduism advocates the presence of Brahma (The Creator), Vishnu (The Manager) and Shiv (The Destroyer) as three different forces.

But Gurmat preaches the presence of the one and only unique force of WAHEGURU who is the creator of both good and evil. Why to believe in only the ONE ? because mind and belief can concentrate on only one thing at a time, and believing in multiple Gods ends up rupturing the mind. AND AS EVERYBODY KNOWS RUPTURED SEEDS DON’T SPROUT I.E. IF WE SOW CHANA IT SPROUTS, BUT IF WE SOW CHANA DAL IT NEVER SPROUTS (AS SAID BY GURU NANAK)

Aang no. 275 (SGGS)

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਹੋਏ ਪੂਜਾਰੀ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਆਚਾਰ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੀ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਭਏ ਤੀਰਥ ਵਾਸੀ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਬਨ ਭ੍ਰਮਹਿ ਉਦਾਸੀ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਬੇਦ ਕੇ ਸ੍ਰੋਤੇ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਤਪੀਸੁਰ ਹੋਤੇ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਆਤਮ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਧਾਰਹਿ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਬਿ ਕਾਬਿ ਬੀਚਾਰਹਿ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਨਵਤਨ ਨਾਮ ਧਿਆਵਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਤੇ ਕਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਹਿ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਭਏ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੀ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਅੰਧ ਅਗਿਆਨੀ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਕਠੋਰ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਭਿਗ ਆਤਮ ਨਿਕੋਰ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰ ਦਰਬ ਕਉ ਹਿਰਹਿ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰ ਦੂਖਨਾ ਕਰਹਿ
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਸ੍ਰਮ ਮਾਹਿ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰਦੇਸ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਹਿ
ਜਿਤੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਲਗਨਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਤੇ ਕੀ ਜਾਨੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਚਨਾ
ArQ:- (pRBU dI ies rcI hoeI dunIAw ivc) keI kroVW pRwxI pujwrI hn, Aqy keI kroVW Dwrimk rIqW rsmW krn vwly hn; keI kroVW (bMdy) qIrQW dy vsnIk hn Aqy keI kroVW (jgq vloN) auprwm ho ky jMglW ivc iPrdy hn; keI kroVW jIv vydW dy suxn vwly hn Aqy keI kroVW v`fy v`fy qpIey bxy hoey hn; keI kroVW (mnu`K) Awpxy AMdr suriq joV rhy hn Aqy keI kroVW (mnu`K) kvIAW dIAW rcIAW kivqw ivcwrdy hn; keI kroVW bMdy (pRBU dw) in`q nvW nwm ismrdy hn, (pr) hy nwnk! aus krqwr dw koeI BI AMq nhIN pw skdy [1[
(ies jgq-rcnw ivc) kroVW AhMkwrI jIv hn Aqy kroVW hI bMdy pu`j ky jwihl hn; kroVW (mnu`K) SUm qy p`Qr-idl hn, Aqy keI kroV AMdroN mhw kory hn jo (iksy dw du`K q`k ky BI kdy) psIjdy nhIN; kroVW bMdy dUijAW dw Dn curwauNdy hn, Aqy kroVW hI dUijAW dI inMidAw krdy hn; kroVW (mnu`K) Dn pdwrQ dI (^wqr) myhnq ivc ju`ty hoey hn, Aqy keI kroV dUjy dySW ivc Btk rhy hn; (hy pRBU!) ijs ijs Awhry qUM lwauNdw hYN aus aus Awhr ivc jIv l`gy hoey hn [ hy nwnk! krqwr dI rcnw (dw Byq) krqwr hI jwxdw hY [2[
What this means is that for reasons known only to God, some beings are indulging in good deeds and some in bad. And also the fools trying to find the reason for the above end up badly humiliated, because no human being has the power and resources for describing the Supreme being and his actions.

So instead of trying to measure God and his decisions, Gurmukhs are advised to fall on the Guru’s feet, surrender their TAAN and MAAN, and unconditionally follow Guru’s advocated path of doing the supreme seva i.e NAAM-SIMRAN with love and longing for PARAMATMA.

Only God knows the origin of Good and Evil. So instead of banging our heads to trace the origin of God’s deeds, we are better advised to believe in the SGGS, our Ten Gurus and the Supreme Soul WAHEGURU, because unless and until we strongly believe in them, questions will keep on arising in our minds and we shall live a worthless existence.

May 22, 2007
WJKK WJKF,

Just adding to the SPIRITUAL PENDULUM :-
DEEDS LIKE NAAM-SIMRAN WHICH CLEANSE OUR MAAN OUR NOT BEEN EMBOSSED, WHEREAS BAD DEEDS ARE BEING EMBOSSED, BEACUSE ONE HAS TO HAVE FULL CONCENTRATION SINCE THERE IS FEAR OF BEEN CAUGHT BY LAW & ORDER. ALL OF US ARE BEING BORN WITH A MAAN (MIND) COMPOUNDED BY BAD DEEDS AND THIS CAN EXPLAIN THE DETERIORATION OF MORAL VALUES ALL AROUND US.

But as Baba Nanak says ‘MAM SAR MUYE AZRAIL GIRAFTE’ i.e. since the day we were born, THE SNAKE OF DEATH STANDS ON OUR HEADS WITH RECOILED HOOD AND OPEN FANGS, READY TO STRIKE ON GOD’S WILL. THE MESENGER OF DEATH “AZRAIL” IS TIGHTLY HOLDING ON TO YOUR HAIR, READY TO PULL ON GOD’S WILL.

SO THE REASON FOR FEAR ALWAYS EXISTED FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL, but only if we had realized the FEAR OF DEATH. As Baba Nanak says that it is not the interest in God that one starts on the spiritual path, but it is the fear of death and what follows after death, that spurts one to take refuge in the Almighty. As Nanak says ‘PEHLE MARAN KABOOL’ i.e. the first step on the spiritual path is the acceptance of death.

SO FEAR DEATH AND GOD. WITH GURUJI’S BLESSINGS THESE FEARS WILL LEAD YOU TO YOUR SALVATION.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Pritpal ji

This is our point of disagreement I don't agree with the statement below:

"WAHEGURU who is the creator of both good and evil. "

But thank you for following up on my question to you. I also do not agree that fear of death drives us to seek our connection to God. This happens for some people, not everyone. It is not true in my case-- therefore, I will infer that there have to be others for whom fear was not the motivation.

The argument that God created everything, and therefore God created evil --raises some very bothersome questions about the nature of God. If God created evil then why would God care enough to be present in our immediate lives (be felt as an immanent God) offering an alternative to evil?

Again, like the arguments about free will, this question has been visited by philosophers and theologians for generations. Sikhi is not a religion that takes a single-minded and simple-minded view of these questions. Waheguru does not set virtue traps for us to see if we will sin, then stand back and from a-far and wait to see what we will do about it. A God who does this is tricky, under-handed and deceitful.

Would you want such a god to be present in your life? Or this God?

soriT mhlw 5 ] 
sorath mehlaa 5.
 bKisAw pwrbRhm prmysir sgly rog ibdwry ] 
bakhsi-aa paarbarahm parmaysar saglay rog bidaaray.
 gur pUry kI srxI aubry kwrj sgl svwry ]1] 
gur pooray kee sarnee ubray kaaraj sagal savaaray. ||1||
 hir jin ismirAw nwm ADwir ] 
har jan simri-aa naam aDhaar.
 qwpu auqwirAw siqguir pUrY ApxI ikrpw Dwir ] rhwau ] 
taap utaari-aa satgur poorai apnee kirpaa Dhaar. rahaa-o.
 sdw Anµd krh myry ipAwry hir goivdu guir rwiKAw ] 
sadaa anand karah mayray pi-aaray har govid gur raakhi-aa.
 vfI vifAweI nwnk krqy kI swcu sbdu siq BwiKAw ]2]18]46] 
vadee vadi-aa-ee naanak kartay kee saach sabad sat bhaakhi-aa. ||2||18||46||

The Supreme Lord God, the Transcendent Lord, has forgiven me, and all diseases have been cured. Those who come to the Sanctuary of the True Guru are saved, and all their affairs are resolved. || 1 || The Lord’s humble servant meditates in remembrance on the Naam, the Name of the Lord; this is his only support. The Perfect True Guru extended His Mercy, and the fever has been dispelled. || Pause || So celebrate and be happy, my beloveds — the Guru has saved Hargobind. Great is the glorious greatness of the Creator, O Nanak; True is the Word of His Shabad, and True is the sermon of His Teachings. || 2 || 18 || 46 ||

Last edited by a moderator:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
The biggest philosophical difference between semitic religions and us when it say 'no ko hoa na ko hoey - that even God cannot create one more God even he wishes so. Guru Nanak doctrine is completely different than the other religions. The argument that when God created everything and therefore God created evil is not correct. What leads us astray or who our enemy are 'Satan' is, The five wicked enemies (lust, anger, greed, attchment and pride) who are within our body, they lead us to practice evil and corruption thus misleads our path to truth. As Gurbani tells us, "When anger enters the body, it blinds the ones with eyes, and makes deaf the one with ears". Guru Granth ang. 1219.9. Thus guru Nanak prays and request to Akal Purakh, 'taskar panch nivaroh thakhur saghlai bharma home jaroh - drive out the five thieves, On my akal purakh and let me doubts and ego burn like incense thus I don't do any evil." SGGS 828.7.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

rosethorne

SPNer
Aug 13, 2005
New Delhi
Dear Gursikhs, It is a very good debate running here. All the points here made by Pritpalji are too good to read. But in my view the post has the answer in its own name "The Spiritual Pendulum". Pendulum means a balanced mechanism of anything. GOD has the finest of balance in making the universe. GOD is creator of everything, but truly our sins, means our Karmas,make our soul to stay in life again and again, It is GOD's wish for some souls to remain in Chakra of life and death, And by GuruGranth Sahib's teachings, one can reach SACHKHAND. It is a GOD's balance of good and evil.
It is very much true that even of thinking of a sin makes us a PAAPI by Gurmat. Gurmat Is surely capable to motivate souls to reach Sachkhand. So please find a place in Gurmat and go to know about it.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Japjisahibji ji

Thank you for your comments. In particular,

Thus guru Nanak prays and request to Akal Purakh, 'taskar panch nivaroh thakhur saghlai bharma home jaroh - drive out the five thieves, On my akal purakh and let me doubts and ego burn like incense thus I don't do any evil." SGGS 828.7.

I was thinking this morning about the difference between the Sikh view and the Judaeo-Christian view (where God in some versions of Scripture is waiting in the background for a human to make a mistake). Then the human repents and things are OK for a while. This cannot be the way a loving God operates!

Rosethorne ji,

The image of a pendulum is a good one., because it speaks to the search for balance.

But so far no one has explained how all those who sincerely seek a connection with Waheguru do this without being mindless robots. Once they go astray, then Waheguru hits the reset button and starts all over again? You know that there is more to it than that!

Apr 11, 2007
GOD CREATES IT ALL, THE PATH THAT GOD WANTS YOU TO FOLLOW IS THROUGH NANAK. HOW CAN THE ONE THAT CREATED, good not be the creator of evil. Without them both the circle of life is broken. If life is always good were's salvation. If life is always bad i'll ask the same question again were's salvation!! Then we have already achieved heaven or hell. We havent achieved anything its a process of learning sikh to go on the path of Guru Nanak. To be pure. Through that we achieve salvation. Miri and piri balance of life.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
soriT mhlw 5 ] ?
sorath mehlaa 5.?

hm mYly qum aUjl krqy hm inrgun qU dwqw ]
ham mailay tum oojal kartay ham nirgun too daataa.
hm mUrK qum cqur isAwxy qU srb klw kw igAwqw ]1]
ham moorakh tum chatur si-aanay too sarab kalaa kaa gi-aataa. ||1||
mwDo hm AYsy qU AYsw ]
maaDho ham aisay too aisaa.
hm pwpI qum pwp KMfn nIko Twkur dysw ] rhwau
ham paapee tum paap khandan neeko thaakur daysaa. rahaa-o.?
qum sB swjy swij invwjy jIau ipMfu dy pRwnw ]
tum sabh saajay saaj nivaajay jee-o pind day paraanaa.?
inrgunIAwry gunu nhI koeI qum dwnu dyhu imhrvwnw ]2]
nirgunee-aaray gun nahee ko-ee tum daan dayh miharvaanaa. ||2||
qum krhu Blw hm Blo n jwnh qum sdw sdw dieAwlw ]
tum karahu bhalaa ham bhalo na jaanah tum sadaa sadaa da-i-aalaa.
qum suKdweI purK ibDwqy qum rwKhu Apuny bwlw ]3]
tum sukh-daa-ee purakh biDhaatay tum raakho apunay baalaa. ||3
qum inDwn Atl suilqwn jIA jMq siB jwcY ]
tum niDhaan atal sulitaan jee-a jant sabh jaachai.?
khu nwnk hm iehY hvwlw rwKu sMqn kY pwCY ]4]6]17]
kaho naanak ham ihai havaalaa raakh santan kai paachhai. ||4||6||17||

English translation

We are filthy, and You are immaculate, O Creator Lord; we are worthless, and You are the Great Giver. We are fools, and You are wise and all-knowing. You are the knower of all things. || 1 || O Lord, this is what we are, and this is what You are. We are sinners, and You are the Destroyer of sins. Your abode is so beautiful, O Lord and Master. || Pause || You fashion all, and having fashioned them, You bless them. You bestow upon them soul, body and the breath of life. We are worthless — we have no virtue at all; please, bless us with Your gift, O Merciful Lordand Master. || 2 || You do good for us, but we do not see it as good; You are kind and compassionate, forever and ever. You are the Giver of peace, the Primal Lord, the Architect of Destiny; please, save us, Your children! || 3 || You are the treasure, eternal Lord King; all beings and creatures beg of You. Says Nanak, such is our condition; please, Lord, keep us on the Path of the Saints. || 4 || 6 || 17 ||
SGGS 613

Does this mean that Waheguru is the destroyer of all that is evil? That everything that Waheguru does is pure, perfect, compassionate and kind?

Would Waheguru destroy anything he created?

When we think of the pendulum, could it not be that evil is on our side and good is on the side of Waheguru? Could the balance depend on our moving away from where we are in evil, and onto the path of the saints?

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Member sahib -The original author of the post.

I wish to know the basis of your saying that Maan is part of the Soul? this means the Soul is not a single entity, it is divisible into different constituents. Your statement suggests that the Soul to gets affected by our Karmas.

Why you say that all the deeds get recorded in Maan. please tell me what is Maan i.e. how do you conceptualise it for better understanding.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Apr 11, 2007
Never think about wining or losing, let nature take it course. Just focus on the event in hand, which is to be pure. The destiney is within god on your outcome, just do your karam. Like running a race. Dont focus on the wining or losing. They are the egos over indulging in the thoughts. One must concerntrate on the race itself. On how he runs the race on self to think of each step. Until he comes to end. The outcome is within god. Destiney. Let nature take its course. Only god knows his plans. Any person that doesnt have the right focus does not perform to there best ability such is life.

May 22, 2007
Dear Amarpalji
Waheguruji Ka Khalsa Waheguruji Ki Fateh,

I request you to kindly read my original post where you will find that I have never mentioned that MAAN is part of the SOUL (JEEVATMA). MAAN is a hazardous layer (containing all our sins) sorrounding our SOUL.MAAN is not SOUL. Because SOUL can never be soiled and dirtied by our deeds as it is PARAMATMA’S ANSH (particle) itself.

Also it is not me who is saying that our deeds get recorded in our MAAN. It is BABA NANAK himself suggesting in the JAPJI SAHEB ‘PUNI PAPPI AAKHAN NAHE, KAR KAR KARNA LIKH LE JAYE’. If our physical body is been is been destroyed and left here, then what is going ahead. It is our JEEVATMA along with the voice-recorder (our MAAN).

OUR JEEVATMA IS AS PURE AS PARAMATMA, and it does not get effected by our deeds, it remains untouched. Only that it is separated from the PARAMATMA by our MAAN. If WAHEGURU permits and we win over our MAAN ( destroy the powerful empire of the 5 great sins ) the MAAN dissipates and our JEEVATMA merges into the PARAMTAMA. That is Salvation as SGGS say ‘ JYOTI JYOT RALI JAAL KA JAAL HUA RAM’ i.e. our SOUL is like a wave of the ocean. It can never consider itself independent from the ocean because for some time it rises high in the air, but finally has to subside back into the ocean. GOD IS THE OCEAN, WE ARE THE WAVES. But our problem is that we consider ourselves independent from God. We consider ourselves having an individual identity. We start to question GOD’s existence and decisions ? (Are you there AAD002 ji !!!).

Actually THE REALIZATION THAT OUR JEEVATMA IS A PART OF THE PARAMATMA begins our spiritual journey.

I am a mere learner. I do not know GOD’s ways. I am just a follower, a disciple. If my views are incorrect according to SGGS, please correct me.

Best of luck !

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Japjisahibji ji But so far no one has explained how all those who sincerely seek a connection with Waheguru do this without being mindless robots. Once they go astray, then Waheguru hits the reset button and starts all over again? You know that there is more to it than that!

If I understood correctly you are referring to hukam rajaaeyee chalna. Then hukam rajaaeyee chalna is not mindless robot. Gurbani clearly advises us pehla vasat seejan kai ta keejai vapar. Seeking connection with waheguru is 'mann jeetai jaghjeet' and not hollow rituals, fasting torturing 'harminder eho sareer hai'. As the hukam of fire is heat, light is the nature of sun. In similar way hukam for us is, 'mann tu jot sarup hai aapna mool pachhan and go in that direction to find our root and merge.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

May 22, 2007
Dear Aad002ji,

I do not know if you are a Sikh, because your profile says that you are on the path of adopting Sikhi. I hope you know the definition of a SIKH as per our Rehat.

You had suggested to me earlier that you are not questioning GOD but me. But later on the fact that GOD CREATED EVIL troubles you. Sorry to say but you are not disagreeing with me here, but Gurmat itself. I don’t know how you will find refuge in Sikhi because the basis of our religion is one GOD and this universe HIS CREATION.
But if you consider is HUKAM as bothersome nature then you are disillusioned. If his HUKAM is virtue trap-setting then you are disillusioned.

In your views you stress on YOU, YOURSELF. For example you say “Could the balance depend on our moving away from where we are in evil, and onto the path of the saints?”
Who are you to move away from evil without his HUKAM. I think that you are finding it difficult to swallow that it is not YOU who is in control of yourself but the SUPREME LORD. My Dear, just comtemplate WHO designed your present physical attributes from the initial filthy and dirty drop of matter that originated from your father. Is it not something magical and extra-ordinary? This is just YOU. Just think about the abounding Universe HIS CREATION.

Our SOUL is like a wave of the ocean. It can never consider itself independent from the ocean because for some time it rises high in the air, but finally has to subside back into the ocean. GOD IS THE OCEAN, WE ARE THE WAVES. But our problem is that we consider ourselves independent from God. We consider ourselves having an individual identity. We start to question GOD’s existence and decisions ?

The basic belief of a SIKH is to kill the I, ME in us and replace it with YOU,YOU,ONLY YOU GOD i.e to be very, very humble. We are nothing but very lowly players in the great game of MAYA that WAHEGURU is playing and enjoying.
“AAVAN JAAVAN EK KHEL BANAIYA, AGYAKARI KINI MAYA”. This life and death is a mere game being played by him. WHY IS HE PLAYING THIS GAME ? Sorry but the answer is beyond us. Mr. Aad002 ji, you are trying to find too many answers, and Gurbani says that All those trying to find answers to God’s deeds are wasting their time, because from time immemorial the Human race has tried to find justification of God’s deeds but all such attempts have resulted in ZILCH.

Instead a Sikh is required to make an unconditional surrender to the Guru, who then guides him towards WaheGuru. You are trying to be scientific because according to science anything that cannot be proven is non-existent. Whereas DHARAM or religion is exactly opposite to science, where you have to first believe in God’s existence (As Bani says “JIS RIDEY BISWAS PRABH AAYA, TAAT GYAN THIS MAAN PRAGTAYA” i.e. the moment the belief in him sets into your heart, immediately you are blessed with his knowledge). You believe in him, and then he shows you all the proofs you need about him.

Once Swami Vivekanand was asked by some disciples whether it is right to have BLIND FAITH in something. Swami’s reply was that TO HAVE BLIND FAITH IN SOMEONE IS OK ONLY IF THE ONE YOU HAVE FAITH IN IS NOT BLIND.

A Gursikh should have BLIND FAITH in WAHEGURU. He should be a MINDLESS ROBOT to follow God. This epitomizes A Sikh’s humbleness without which you can’t set foot on God’s path.

LET GO OF EGOS BECAUSE QUESTIONS ARISE FROM EGOTISM. BECOME AMRITDHARI AND FOLLOW THE GURU’S TEACHINGS. THEN ALL YOUR QUERIES SHALL BE ANSWERED.

Best of Luck!!!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Veer Pritpal_Singh ji

You finally have answered the ONLY question I was asking. So you do agree that God did not create Evil. That is all i wanted to know. Everything else in your post above seems to be a stern lecture about other worries. But I had no argument with you from the beginning on the journey of the soul.

Japjishaib ji -- You misunderstood my sentence or I was not clear. We are in total agreement. You make complete sense in your statement and think things through. Thank you for taking the time to say more. No one can be a "mindless" robot who worships God-- and the hukamnama makes that very clear. And your reply this morning has become something to focus on-- it is very inspiring.

Cheers

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM