• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Shabad That Brought Me In

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
At the end of 2002 I had just finished high school and moved back in with my mum and stepdad on the other side of the city. They had an unassuming courtyard house (long and narrow) with paint and carpet tinted with pink. Between the front bedroom which was used as a study, and my bedroom, was an atrium full of plants, which was a lovely sight out the window. The house was ordinary, but had an outstanding "vibe" about it. It was comforting, airy, and very homely.

It was here, in the study one night, where I downloaded a Word document of Dr Khalsa's translation very nicely presented, and started reading. There was one shabad in particular that reached into my core and triggered that warmth which has stayed with me since then. It was this one:

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਘਰੁ ਦੁਪਦੇ
Ḏẖanāsrī mėhlā 5 gẖar 8 ḏupḏe
Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl, Eighth House, Du-Padas:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਸਿਮਰਉ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਵਉ ਸਾਸਿ ਸਾਸਿ ਸਮਾਲੇ
Simra▫o simar simar sukẖ pāva▫o sās sās samāle.
Remembering, remembering, remembering Him in meditation, I find peace; with each and every breath, I dwell upon Him.

ਇਹ ਲੋਕਿ ਪਰਲੋਕਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਹਾਈ ਜਤ ਕਤ ਮੋਹਿ ਰਖਵਾਲੇ ॥੧॥
Ih lok parlok sang sahā▫ī jaṯ kaṯ mohi rakẖvāle. ||1||
In this world, and in the world beyond, He is with me, as my help and support; wherever I go, He protects me. ||1||

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਬਚਨੁ ਬਸੈ ਜੀਅ ਨਾਲੇ
Gur kā bacẖan basai jī▫a nāle.
The Guru's Word abides with my soul.

ਜਲਿ ਨਹੀ ਡੂਬੈ ਤਸਕਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਲੇਵੈ ਭਾਹਿ ਸਾਕੈ ਜਾਲੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Jal nahī dūbai ṯaskar nahī levai bẖāhi na sākai jāle. ||1|| rahā▫o.
It does not sink in water; thieves cannot steal it, and fire cannot burn it. ||1||Pause||

ਨਿਰਧਨ ਕਉ ਧਨੁ ਅੰਧੁਲੇ ਕਉ ਟਿਕ ਮਾਤ ਦੂਧੁ ਜੈਸੇ ਬਾਲੇ
Nirḏẖan ka▫o ḏẖan anḏẖule ka▫o tik māṯ ḏūḏẖ jaise bāle.
It is like wealth to the poor, a cane for the blind, and mother's milk for the infant.

ਸਾਗਰ ਮਹਿ ਬੋਹਿਥੁ ਪਾਇਓ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਿਰਪਾਲੇ ॥੨॥੧॥੩੨॥
Sāgar mėh bohith pā▫i▫o har Nānak karī kirpā kirpāle. ||2||1||32||
In the ocean of the world, I have found the boat of the Lord; the Merciful Lord has bestowed His Mercy upon Nanak. ||2||1||32||

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM