• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Rule Of Giving And Receiving

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
The Rule of Giving and Receiving
By Ralston Heath

Most people regard life as a struggle, but it isn’t, life is a game you must play. It is not that you had a choice, you have no choice; you are alive so therefore you must play this game. Like all games you get good at it by knowing the rules and practice.

So what are the rules for the game of life? There is no way to cover all the rules in today’s short lesson, but we will discuss the first and simplest rule: Giving and Receiving.

So let us examine the rule of giving and receiving. The rule states that what you produce you will have. What this basically means is what you give out, you will receive back. A great way to put this is: What you sow, you reap… Pretty simple don’t you think? So why is it that so many of us have miserable and unhappy lives? The answer is a hard pill to swallow, but swallow you must, it is because we have sown misery and unhappiness and so that is what we have brought to harvest.

When you project anger, you receive anger. When you project love you receive love. What you project is what you get. It all starts with our minds, we think therefore we exist. What we think becomes our reality. Thinking leads to actions and actions lead to reality. You do as you say; you say as you think, in other words you live as you believe. What you give out through your thoughts is what you produce, and what you produce is what you receive. It just can not be stated any more plainly than that.

Thinking poorly results in poor results, and unfortunately we have all been trained to think poorly very well. We have learned from out parents that there is not enough, so we believe it and project it and receive not enough.

We learned from our teachers that life is not fair, so we believe it we project it and receive a not fair life. We have learned many incorrect things from those we trust, too bad that those we trusted did not know what they were saying. They must not have ever been exposed to other trains of thought, nor did they study the rules of life for themselves. They took from those they thought were in a position of authority, and accepted their word as dogma.

What was not understood by them is the simple rule of giving and receiving; that is what you give you will receive. Your relatives and teachers did they best they knew how at the time, so do not be angry with them, forgive them for they did not know what they did. Allow the past to remain in the past, and start your life anew right now. A simple process that is easy to learn but will take your lifetime to master: Think good thoughts that lead to good deeds that lead to good rewards, which cumulatively will lead to a good life.

Start today by knowing this unshakable rule of life; giving and receiving: That what you sow, you reap.

Be Blessed

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If you help others you will be helped, perhaps tomorrow, perhaps in one hundred years, but you will be helped. Nature must pay off the debt... It is a mathematical law and all life is mathematics.
Gurdjieff

To receive everything, one must open one's hands and give.
Deshimaru, Taisen

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
If you help others you will be helped, perhaps tomorrow, perhaps in one hundred years, but you will be helped. Nature must pay off the debt... It is a mathematical law and all life is mathematics.
Gurdjieff

there is one flaw in here

this rule of maths keep you on earth for sure and wont let you become angel and jon Akal

If some body do good to recieve good than he has to stay here to recieve all the good he is doing so again he remains in the cycle whether good or bad

I think this where Sikhism teaches breakthrough ! By doing sewa !! selfless service as no self is there just good is done without any look out for return and so it liberates the soul and bound it to recieve the good

just it came to mind so shared it randomly .Just ignore it if it appears too aawkward

JAtinder Singh

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Hi Khalsa ji

Just to add a few of my thoughts, I think selfless seva can't be done without love. Seva has a sankrit origin and it means "to enjoy", and you can't enjoy unless you have immense love for the Guru...

One incident I remember, one guy who was doing seva at harmandir sahib when the sarovar was renovated . This guy was an NRI and he was doing seva of taking the sand out of the sarovar in buckets. While doing that he was unable to contain the tears droping down his eyes. Such an immense love, he was doing that with such a vigor that one will get surprized. He seemed to be from a very well to do family and I am sure he must not have done such a work ever in his life.... Whenever I think of that scene I feel the chill in my body and feel like bowing in front of that man...

I told this story cos I feel that selfless seva can't be done without immense love for Guru and it is this love which takes the person to that blissful stage where anything that happens in the outside world whether good or bad doesn't matter. I think that is the only breakthrough that sikhi has provided.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM