• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Panj Pyare Today - Who Are They?

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Something that really intrigues me is the Panj Pyare. The story of the Original 5 being intiated in to the Khalsa on Baisakhi day is amazing.

Recently, I had the good fortune to see a Baisakhi Day parade. The Panj Pyare from my local gurdwaray were leading the way, outfitted in a traditional uniform. It was a beautiful sight to see.

My question is in regards to this beautiful seva. Who serves as the Panj Pyare today for our local gurdwaras? How are they "selected" (for lack of a better word).

If one has to go to the Panj for whatever reason, how does one "find" the Panj?

It may be obvious that I haven't taken Amrit yet...I'm getting more and more curious...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The PUNJ can be any FIVE Rehitwaan SINGHS ( this includes women as "SINGH" is gender free) from among the local sangat. By this I mean the Five must be Amritdharee, following the Rehit strictly, and living a role-model life ucha sucha jeewan !!..and they MUST have the Punj Banis memeorised as this is a requirement of Amrit Sanchaar ( One hand is required to be placed on the rim of the Amrit Batta, while the other is to hold the Khanda for stirring the Amrit..so obviously a "gutka" etc is impractical !! and thus ruled out.

Jarnail Singh

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
Gyani Jarnail ji,

Thank you so very much for responding. Do you mind if I ask a few more questions?

How does a simple sangat member find the Panj Pyare?

By that I mean...

If a Sikh commits a bajjar kurehit...or even does something that they feel is wrong, but is not sure whether such a thing is a bajjar kurehit or not - how does that Sikh find the Panj Pyare to discuss?

Are the Panj "only" present during an Amrit Sanchar?

If so, how does one find an Amrit Sanchar to go before the Panj?

(and one more question...)

If a Sikh is ready to take Amrit, how does that Sikh "find" an Amrit Sanchar ceremony to partake in?

I'm sorry if these sound like very basic questions, but I am not Amritdhari myself so I don't know the answer........

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh!

If one were ready to take Amrit...they could talk to the Bhai, or Gyani who takes care of the gurdwara and they would have the best idea as when and where you would be able to receive Amrit. Amrit Sanchaar is usually planned ahead of time so that they have an idea of how many people want to "take the plunge"
But as per...the Panj Pyare they are only there for Amrit Sanchaar and afterwards those Singhs go back to just being average people.
( forgive me if some of this is wrong... i only speak from what i kno)

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Khalsa

SPNer
Jun 21, 2004
How does a simple sangat member find the Panj Pyare?
- A simple sangat member can find the panj pyare usually through the Granthi of the Gurdwara Sahib.

By that I mean...

If a Sikh commits a bajjar kurehit...or even does something that they feel is wrong, but is not sure whether such a thing is a bajjar kurehit or not - how does that Sikh find the Panj Pyare to discuss?

Are the Panj "only" present during an Amrit Sanchar?

- The punj pyare are mainly available during an amrit sanchaar, you can speak to them either at the beginning or at the end of the amrit sanchaar.

If so, how does one find an Amrit Sanchar to go before the Panj?
- Again, you can talk to the Granthi at the gurdwara sahib, or if you see a proper singh/singhni at the gurdwara sahib, you can talk to them, they usually have contacts with the punj pyare.

(and one more question...)

If a Sikh is ready to take Amrit, how does that Sikh "find" an Amrit Sanchar ceremony to partake in?

- Again, you can talk to the Granthi at the gurdwara sahib :up:

If you have any more questions please post!

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
Thank you Khalsa ji and everyone else for responding.

I do have another question. I realize that the Amrit Sanchaar ceremony is private, and the details of such are not always discussed...so please forgive me if this is not an appropriate question.

If a Sikh commits a bajjar kurehit and is seeking pesh from the Panj, how "private" is the conversation?

I know the Panj would/should not disclose anything told to them...but what about the other Sikhs that are there for Amrit or Pesh? I personally wouldn't want to overhear such a conversation - intentionally or accidentally.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The PESHI is PRIVATE between the Panj and the Peshek. NO other Amrit abhilakhees are allowed in at this stage. The Punj ask questions, and suggest what is to be done..tankhah or retake Amrit. Just like the Roamn catholic Priest hearing confessions.... the Punj will not divulge any private conversation.

Earlier the Panj themsleves PESH themsleves before each other in what is called SHUDHAII - purification..in that it is ensured that each Panj is an amrtidharee, nitnemi, kakaars dharnee etc etc. This is also Private and only the PANJ are before Guru Granth ji maharaj.

Only when all these have been settled satisfactorilay are the other Amrit abhilkhees allowed in. The Doors are then sealed and guards posted.
Jarnail singh gyani

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
their names if u look at them and if u know what they mean (the ones i gave are in order) are in the order of importance that shud be used in our lives

bhai daya singh ji comes first

daya comes first so guru jis saying help others so if u need to lie to help sumone then do it (not like u lie to help sumone is a wrong way)

bhai dharm singh ji comes second

dharm comes second
dharm comes after daya religion comes after people etc

bhai mohkam singh ji comes third

mohkam comes third
less moh basically

bhai himmat singh ji comes fourth

himmat comes 4th courage

bhai sahib singh ji comes 5th

sahib comes 5th
self respest, dignity etc

i think they are pretty self explanatory, i heard this when i was listenining to katha and i thought it was a nice oberservation and i think it was setup by akal purakh in this way

neat eh?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM