• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Five Realms

Oct 21, 2009
India
But more importantly another question crops up?
For what purpose were we born? This is perhaps a harder question to answer and therefore, not many bother to address it.
Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Though I am not adept in writing but what that prompted me was the particular question that you have posed.I have also been thinking over it for quite some time. Gurbani has an answer to this that can well be summed up as:

1.'Gobind Milan Ke Eh Teri Baria.'

2.Awar Kaaj teri kisey Na Kaam.......

3.Heera janam Amol hey Kaudu badle jaye.

4. Wide reference to the purpose of life is dealt with in detail in Salok- Mahala 9.

• Gun Gobind Gay Nahin Janam Akarthe keen...
  • Kaho Nanak Bhaj har mana Audh Jaat he Beet.
  • Nanak har Gun Gaye le Chadd Sagal Janjaal.
Ram Naam Ur Me Gahio Ja ke sam nahin Koye
Jeh Simrat Sankat Mitte Daras teharo Hoye..

[sorry, cannot provide Ang nos. of the Tuks. In any case these are only indicative to substantiate that has been stated.]

That is the purpose of our life. God may or may not have created us for some specific plan in his mind though the entire creation is all but HIS play......and we move on and on like a 'solitary reaper'.....

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Though I am not adept in writing but what that prompted me was the particular question that you have posed.I have also been thinking over it for quite some time. Gurbani has an answer to this that can well be summed up as:

1.'Gobind Milan Ke Eh Teri Baria.'

2.Awar Kaaj teri kisey Na Kaam.......

3.Heera janam Amol hey Kaudu badle jaye.

4. Wide reference to the purpose of life is dealt with in detail in Salok- Mahala 9.

• Gun Gobind Gay Nahin Janam Akarthe keen...
  • Kaho Nanak Bhaj har mana Audh Jaat he Beet.
  • Nanak har Gun Gaye le Chadd Sagal Janjaal.
Ram Naam Ur Me Gahio Ja ke sam nahin Koye
Jeh Simrat Sankat Mitte Daras teharo Hoye..

[sorry, cannot provide Ang nos. of the Tuks. In any case these are only indicative to substantiate that has been stated.]

That is the purpose of our life. God may or may not have created us for some specific plan in his mind though the entire creation is all but HIS play......and we move on and on like a 'solitary reaper'.....

Twinkle Ji

I really like your user name. It cheers me up.

Although I am really pushed for time, I have been so fascinated by this shabad that I have been compelled to make time. The first translation, from which you have quoted, was done way back in 1992 and a more detailed one is now in process and, with Guru’s Grace, will appear under Gurbani Vichaar on my website.

This question arises in and from the shabad Gauree Chaytee, Mohalla 1 (SGGS 156) - ਗਉੜੀ ਚੇਤੀ ਮਹਲਾ{ਪੰਨਾ156}

ਕਤ ਕੀ ਮਾਈ ਬਾਪੁ ਕਤ ਕੇਰਾ ਕਿਦੂ ਥਾਵਹੁ ਹਮ ਆਏ
kat kee maa-ee baap kat keyraa kidoo thaavhu ham aa-ey.

(If we were to ask ourselves the two questions):
Who is our Father? Who is our Mother? From where have we come?

ਅਗਨਿ ਬਿੰਬ ਜਲ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਨਿਪਜੇ ਕਾਹੇ ਕੰਮਿ ਉਪਾਏ੧॥
agan bimb jal bheetar nipjay kaahay kamm upaa-ay. (1)

(We may reply that):
From within the fire (of the mother’s womb) and the bubble of water (father’s beeraj – sperm) were we sprung.

(But more importantly another question crops up:
For what purpose were we born?(1)

Commentary: This is perhaps amore interesting question to ask but many do not bother to address it. (The answer to this Question lies in the last tuk (pankti, line) of this shabad.)

ਪ੍ਰਣਵਤਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ
Pray Nanak that man may come to terms with the Lord's Order so that he may forever live blissfully.

Or:
Pray Nanak that I am able to understand the Lord’s Hukam (Command) and thus attain peace day and night.

This shabad is then followed up by Guru Ji, on the same page of the Holy Granth, with the naseehat (moral lesson/warning) which you have quoted in your post.

ਗਉੜੀ ਬੈਰਾਗਣਿ ਮਹਲਾ ਰੈਣਿ ਗਵਾਈ ਸੋਇਕੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗਵਾਇਆਖਾਇਹੀਰੇ ਜੈਸਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਹੈ ਕਉਡੀ ਬਦਲੇ ਜਾਇ੧॥
(O imbecile) you have wasted the night by sleeping and spent the day eating and drinking. You let go the invaluable gem of this life for pennies.

It is also interesting to note that often Guru Ji asks rhetoric questions to drive home his point. Please note that taking tuks at random do not always help as much as taking one shabad, at a time, and studying, analysing and understanding it, in its entirety, as much as our spiritual awareness, ability or status permits.

God Bless and chardi Kala.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
A very informative op from a few years ago.
I have been quite interested in the whole '5 khands' or realms and have been trying to learn about them from different sources.
There does seem to be some confusion of whether they are steps or levels of one's spiritual journey that are achieved in order or if they can be achieved otherwise ?

Are we mostly stuck in the dharam and gyan khands ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have been quite interested in the whole '5 khands' or realms and have been trying to learn about them from different sources.
There does seem to be some confusion of whether they are steps or levels of one's spiritual journey that are achieved in order or if they can be achieved otherwise ?

1. Are these the only possibilities? Steps in a journey vs achieved otherwise?

As if searching and striving is not helpful, Kabir ji says, Ang 1372
ਕਬੀਰ ਗੰਗ ਜਮੁਨ ਕੇ ਅੰਤਰੇ ਸਹਜ ਸੁੰਨ ਕੇ ਘਾਟ ॥

Kabīr gang jamun ke anṯre sahj sunn ke gẖāt.
Kabeer, between the Ganges and Jamunaa Rivers, on the shore of Celestial Silence,

ਤਹਾ ਕਬੀਰੈ ਮਟੁ ਕੀਆ ਖੋਜਤ ਮੁਨਿ ਜਨ ਬਾਟ ॥੧੫੨॥

Ŧahā kabīrai mat kī▫ā kẖojaṯ mun jan bāt. ||152||
there, Kabeer has made his home. The silent sages and the humble servants of the Lord search for the way to get there. ||152||

2. Must we understand the khands in vedic terms -- as levels of spiritual achievement?

3. Does confusion arise because Gurbani is telling us something quite different about the khands when the idea of steps or levels confounds the message.

Later Kabir says

ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਸਬਦੁ ਜੁ ਬਾਹਿਆ ਏਕੁ ॥

Kabīr sācẖā saṯgur mai mili▫ā sabaḏ jo bāhi▫ā ek.
Kabeer, the True Guru has met me; He aimed the Arrow of the Shabad at me.

ਲਾਗਤ ਹੀ ਭੁਇ ਮਿਲਿ ਗਇਆ ਪਰਿਆ ਕਲੇਜੇ ਛੇਕੁ ॥੧੫੭॥

Lāgaṯ hī bẖu▫e mil ga▫i▫ā pari▫ā kaleje cẖẖek. ||157||
As soon as it struck me, I fell to the ground with a hole in my heart. ||157|

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Tejwant Ji, I forgot to mention that you may also find some of the answers, you seek, in the following shabd I recently translated with comments. The shabd was only uploaded today.

The link is: http://www.arshiwaves.co.uk/Gurbani_Vichaar.asp

Regards

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

Arshi Ji,

I like your posts ji :)

the mind asks so many questions...it wants to intellectually know about concepts which are so difficult to describe using language in the physical realm...

Whilst we try and try...in the end the soul just yearns for something beyond what the intellectual mind can offer...the soul needs to know through actual experience rather than have an intellectual idea of what something might be like..

God bless you on your journey ji

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
1. Are these the only possibilities? Steps in a journey vs achieved otherwise?

2. Must we understand the khands in vedic terms -- as levels of spiritual achievement?
I am getting the impression that they are more like stages of spiritual develpment.

3. Does confusion arise because Gurbani is telling us something quite different about the khands when the idea of steps or levels confounds the message.

I'm not too sure but since this issue of khands is from pauri 34 to 37, I felt that i should get a better grip on the matter and hopefully some better understanding.
Although after looking at various interpretations I find that many scholars and articles have jumped onto the ''ascension''or ''going up the steps'' ladder following Mcleod's version ! -Mcleod had suggested the ''ladder' theory because of the mention of
''Pavareea_chareeai'' (climbs the steps of the ladder/scale) in pauri 32 !!!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I am getting the impression that they are more like stages of spiritual develpment.

I'm not too sure but since this issue of khands is from pauri 34 to 37, I felt that i should get a better grip on the matter and hopefully some better understanding.
Although after looking at various interpretations I find that many scholars and articles have jumped onto the ''ascension''or ''going up the steps'' ladder following Mcleod's version ! -Mcleod had suggested the ''ladder' theory because of the mention of

sometimes i like to think of it as the expansion of consciousness from limited consciousness from the "I am me, chazSingh" ... expansion that leads to experience of the universal mind (and all it's creation), then beyond the mind into God consciousness and self realization of who you are.

The khands i feel describe this expansion of consiousness in more depth...and as conscousness expands, so does the awareness of the whole of creation from our limited sight (this supposed physical realm) to expanded inner sight to everything else that exists beyond. Our attitudes change, we move from ritualistic behavior and expectations to gradually immersing and experiencing the TRUTH.

Just my current thoughts..

God Bless Ji

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
sometimes i like to think of it as the expansion of consciousness from limited consciousness from the "I am me, chazSingh" ... expansion that leads to experience of the universal mind (and all it's creation), then beyond the mind into God consciousness and self realization of who you are.

The khands i feel describe this expansion of consiousness in more depth...and as conscousness expands, so does the awareness of the whole of creation from our limited sight (this supposed physical realm) to expanded inner sight to everything else that exists beyond. Our attitudes change, we move from ritualistic behavior and expectations to gradually immersing and experiencing the TRUTH.

Just my current thoughts..

God Bless Ji

This is more or less along the lines of what i'm getting at and my understanding as well !!:mundahug:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Luckysingh ji

Unless I am misreading what chazSingh ji has posted, your idea is very different from his. McLeod is casting Guru Nanak's philosophy as a rehash of the Vedic understanding of "khands." In any ascension or ladder model one an be only on one step at a time. The spiritual journey takes one on a trek from one level to the next, in this lifetime ... but more probably over thousands.

Only those who are at the top have the luxury of sehaj. The rest must follow an effective spiritual blueprint that keeps generations exhausted with a perpetual climbing experience .... whilst the spiritual climb, the world burns... for want of attention to the suffering of real people in real time. Of course that should bother no one because, as the blueprint also provides, suffering and the world are illusions anyway.

Do you think that is what Guru Nanak was thinking? And if you do, then do you also think Guru Nanak's ideas were a rehash of earlier Hindu thought? McLeod presents the "rehash thesis" as correct. Guru Nanak, according to McLeod, was just one more guru in the long and ancient sant tradition of India. Others dispute the thesis. This presents a practical question. Why even bother to compile the Aad Granth if the Vedas have it wrapped?

Why even bother to go to a hot plate if the Vedas have it sewn up tight?

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

just a quick comment on this...

sometimes the world needs shaking up and awakening using such events because even though the truth is often staring people in the face they are so far deeply embedded into their illusory thoughts, ideas and rituals any normal method would not suffice...

On the topic, that's not saying that the Vedas has the complete truth, but i feel it contains a good amount of it...but do i want to delve into a partial experience of God?...or do i want waking out completely from illusion to the Truth....and that's where i feel the words that flew through Guru nanak was complete ... but now i feel i must experience this for myself and for Guru Ji to bestow this awakening :)

unfortunately, whilst we are operating with the mind and its boundaries, limits and reference to the physical world...any kind of 'journey' 'spiritual awakening' 'enlightenment' often gets referenced in 'steps'...its very hard to describe anything in language without making it sound like steps on a ladder...but i really feel once we transcend the mind (whatever that is) all steps, or logical reasoning and boundaries and labelling will just dissapear completely.. :)

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Luckysingh ji

Unless I am misreading what chazSingh ji has posted, your idea is very different from his. McLeod is casting Guru Nanak's philosophy as a rehash of the Vedic understanding of "khands." In any ascension or ladder model one an be only on one step at a time. The spiritual journey takes one on a trek from one level to the next, in this lifetime ... but more probably over thousands.

Only those who are at the top have the luxury of sehaj. The rest must follow an effective spiritual blueprint that keeps generations exhausted with a perpetual climbing experience .... whilst the spiritual climb, the world burns... for want of attention to the suffering of real people in real time. Of course that should bother no one because, as the blueprint also provides, suffering and the world are illusions anyway.

Do you think that is what Guru Nanak was thinking? And if you do, then do you also think Guru Nanak's ideas were a rehash of earlier Hindu thought? McLeod presents the "rehash thesis" as correct. Guru Nanak, according to McLeod, was just one more guru in the long and ancient sant tradition of India. Others dispute the thesis. This presents a practical question. Why even bother to compile the Aad Granth if the Vedas have it wrapped?

Adminji, I think I've given the wrong impression here or you have clearly misunderstood me.
I have not even given 'my own'i dea, so it can't be different in any way to Chazji's.
I have been looking at different sources and I made the point to point out Mcleod's claim and how many scholars have followed in the same manner.
I also quite clearly realized that Mcleod gave this idea in line with hindu and muslim philosophy and none of it appeals or influences me, so the questions you ask above are the same ones that I too would ask.

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks Lucky ji and Chaz ji for giving me an opportunity to revisit this thread. It has been enriched by contributions from respected veers Sahni ji and Tejwant ji. This is an extremely difficult area to understand and depends upon the individual's spiritual status which changes all the time. I am a learner just like the rest of us.

I am trying to draw a parallel with the four laavs written by the Fourth Nanak. These too are four stages in the life of a householder - a devotee. The fifth realm is occupied by the Lord Himself. We can only transcend up to the fourth and then await His call. Can't go on much longer - difficult to type on the I- pad.

Humbly

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi '

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
arshi ji

I find that Tejwant Singh ji did indeed enrich this thread with many questions. Should not we disentangle Guru Nanak's philosophy from that of earlier Vedic/Hindu traditions? The classical understanding of khands sets in place the idea of spiritual hierarchies.

Respected forum mentor Japjisahib04 ji in an early comment in this thread questions the tendency to see the khands as rigid steps or hierarchies. He describes them as states of mind, working jointly and having different degrees of importance at different times on one's spiritual journey.

“Further, if these five steps are to be put into sequence, believing them one after the other, in that case Saram Khand, making an effort by the devotee, should be the first. It is only after one decides to move on the path of God that one will take the step of practicing Dharam, the righteous deeds. It appears that all these steps work jointly to demolish the wall of ignorance, of course, with different intensity at different times with different individuals.”

Thus, the khands would be a telling subject where our Gurus either provided us with revolutionary thinking or they did not, and instead were walking an eclectic vedantic path.

Here are some of Tejwant's most recent questions, followed by your replies when given, and sometimes your replies were given in later posts.

1. Are these five realms mentioned by you tangible or intangible ones?

Answer: Great, greeeeeeeeeeat Q. Khands are the spiritual stages through which the soul progresses. On a physical plane this is intangible but on the elevated spiritual plane it is perhaps tangible (experienced by the soul - sparsh).

Follow up questions: Can you also elaborate what you mean by the “elevated spiritual plane” where the same realm becomes perhaps tangible?

Does that mean that “elevated spiritual plane” is a physical-tangible place?

2. If they are tangibles then where are they located?

3. If not then how one can experience them and can this experience be shared with others in a tangible manner?

Answer: No the experience cannot be shared. Only the Guru’s Grace can reveal these.

6. What happens if one is successful in one realm but a total failure in the other one? How does one mend that?

Answer: Even at Gian khand stage, Guru Ji mentions that the soul is tested, but guidance and help is also available – see article portion reproduced below.

“Whilst many devtas (knowledgeable and spiritually evolved souls) reside in this realm, surprisingly there are also many false gods (daanavs). Thus, this is a realm where souls are still tested by mixing fully evolved spirits with those which are still evolving and those which still tempt the soul with false desires. However, guidance and help is available from many agents of God who come down to assist, i.e. in this khand there are both disciples and gurus with divine knowledge.”

Would you be kind enough to elaborate the above for me?

It is not clear from your answers how you differentiate Guru Nanak's point of view from vedic counterparts of his time. Khands in your extended discourse (follow-up replies to Tejwantji) continue to seem like steps on a staircase, with both the ascent and the experience described in a ways one might hear sitting at the feet of a sage of Benares. I know that cannot be your meaning. Please would you elaborate on the differences between Guru Nanak's teaching and the Hindu philosophy of Guru Nanak's day?

1. How is an intangible soul tested in an intangible realm?
2. Who are the devtas and danaavs? Where do they come from? From what or from whom do they incarnate? Or, do they have an independent lineage of some kind?
3. Who are the "agents of God" who mix with unevolved spirits -- apparently to test them?
4. How exactly are khands testing zones? What kinds of testing would be limited to the Gyan khand?
5. Do the khands have both tangible and intangible/spiritual qualities? If yes, then does testing occur on both the tangible and intangible at the same time?
6. What yardstick is used to determine whether an "agent of God" has passed the tests to which he himself was once put? Or perhaps an agent of God was advanced, requiring no tests himself.
7. How does one know that the agent of God is a kind of teacher or spiritual sage - rather than a danaav sent to mislead?
8. If the experiences of an agent of God cannot be shared, how does the chella benefit from them?
9. Ultimately in the vedic tradition a chella is told "Be your own guru!" This marks the teacher's sense that the chella has evolved to the stage where a teacher hinders a student's further spiritual progress. Is there anything in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji telling us that a similar dependence on agents of God or spiritual sages takes place? Does SGGS tell us that spiritual dependence then is followed by ultimate independence?

Your answers would go a long way to helping the rest of us learn how Guru Nanak abandoned the notion of spiritual aristocracy. Bibek buddhi is there in all.

From the vichaar of findingmyway ji on another thread:

ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਤਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਲੇ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਬੁਧਿ ਬਿਚਰੈ ॥Nadhar Karae Thaa Sathigur Maelae Anadhin Bibaek Budhh Bicharai ||

I remain at the feet (metaphorically) of Ik Oankaar and keep drinking from the amrit of the Shabad Guru (by listening, reading, acting it). This is how to find the Truth and what God really is. Use your discriminating mind to help you always follow the right path, to remain connected and never separate from the Sat.

I personally think the use of bibek buddhi or discerning intellect is very important here as it shows there is no room for blind faith, mindless rituals etc. Your mind should be used in a proactive and sensible way to understand whether things you are told really fit in with Gurbani and the Truth.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/shabad-of-the-week/41316-shabad-week-har-jeeo-kirapaa-karae.html

Last edited:

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
spadmin ji

Gur Fateh

You are going back a few years. I had an interesting and educational dialogue with both Sahni ji and Tejwant ji. The thread came to an abrupt end, as we felt that there was not much more to add. I did post a link to my article ‘Egotism and Falsehood’ which in my opinion also answered some of the questions raised by Tejwant ji. I did not get further response from Tejwant ji. In response to my PM, he quite rightly felt that the discussion was bordering on to the argumentative (probably due to my inability to satisfactorily answering his questions) and nothing further was to be gained from the discussion. I have nothing but utter respect for Tejwant ji, Narayanjyot Kaur ji, Sahni ji and others who contributed to this thread.

At the moment, I am not sure I can add very much to what I said earlier, even less on the new questions listed by you as I am not into Vedic theologies. My articles are based totally on my understanding (which may be not always be correct) of Guru Granth Sahib and articles, discourses and books of learned parcharaks and authors on Sikhi.

This brings to mind an urdu shere:

Jo afsana kisee anjaam tak lanaa na ho mumkin
oosey ik khoobsooat mor de kar shorna achccha

A story (an affair in the movie) which cannot be brought to a proper conclusion is best abandoned by giving it a beautiful twist (turning).

However, when I feel more enlightened I hope to revisit Pauris 34-37 and undertake a thorough study and translation of the same, possibly, with references to other parts of Guru Granth Sahib. I never have, nor will have any desire to sit at the feet of saint in Benares, or Amritsar for that matter. I am a staunch believer in the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib and other related Sikh scriptures. The bottom line I think is the understanding of the mind (mann) and how to overcome its constant restlessness in our spiritual quest towards Sat.

I do look forward to contribute related and other articles if the SPN sangat is willing to tolerate me. :soccersingh:

With deepest of respect and bhul chuk khima

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Respected arshi ji

Just 2 notes on reply.

The "enrichments" you alluded to 3 comments ago by also-respected japjisahib04 and Tejwant singh occur at the start of this thread. With due diligence I re-read them to refresh my memory.

The re-reading of Tejwant Singh's questions made me aware that without your answers to some of them, your current remarks could not be placed in their proper context for newer readers. So I had to revive the sparks of an old affair.

2. My questions now go unanswered. Being "into Vedic philosophies" is a relative term, and it introduces another issue I often find ignored on this forum. Today's period the Brahmo period is often used by modern eyes and mind to filter Guru Nanak's words. This contributes to a misunderstanding of Guru Nanak's perspective. The "khands" were not merely spiritual constructs to him. Rather, they were literal obstacles placed in the way of an ordinary person, making spiritual progress a venue for economic gain by agents of god and spiritual sages. These agents for a price would tell us how we were required to progress slowly slowly step by step through the khands. We would have to abandon all to be tested by these agents. Guru Nanak was reacting to this earlier classical period of Brahminism. How does one have a discussion of 'khands" without talking about brahminism?

All of the terms we examine here, including "khands" can be understood in the brahmin way of his day or they can be understood as per Gurbani. The classical brahmin way puts khands to be levels that are assayed one step at a time. I suggest that Guru Nanak was not into brahminism nor to hinduism either, but he was reacting to it. Do we not want to explore and understand Guru Nanak's perspective? What was he reacting to? And how was he reframing our understanding? It is always a pity when a Sikh thinks like a brahmin. We should want to prevent that.

Could be at some point you will deign to answer my questions.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
arshi ji

I find that Tejwant Singh ji did indeed enrich this thread with many questions. Should not we disentangle Guru Nanak's philosophy from that of earlier Vedic/Hindu traditions? The classical understanding of khands sets in place the idea of spiritual hierarchies.

Respected forum mentor Japjisahib04 ji in an early comment in this thread questions the tendency to see the khands as rigid steps or hierarchies. He describes them as states of mind, working jointly and having different degrees of importance at different times on one's spiritual journey.

Thus, the khands would be a telling subject where our Gurus either provided us with revolutionary thinking or they did not, and instead were walking an eclectic vedantic path.

Here are some of Tejwant's most recent questions, followed by your replies when given, and sometimes your replies were given in later posts.

It is not clear from your answers how you differentiate Guru Nanak's point of view from vedic counterparts of his time. Khands in your extended discourse (follow-up replies to Tejwantji) continue to seem like steps on a staircase, with both the ascent and the experience described in a ways one might hear sitting at the feet of a sage of Benares. I know that cannot be your meaning. Please would you elaborate on the differences between Guru Nanak's teaching and the Hindu philosophy of Guru Nanak's day?

1. How is an intangible soul tested in an intangible realm?
2. Who are the devtas and danaavs? Where do they come from? From what or from whom do they incarnate? Or, do they have an independent lineage of some kind?
3. Who are the "agents of God" who mix with unevolved spirits -- apparently to test them?
4. How exactly are khands testing zones? What kinds of testing would be limited to the Gyan khand?
5. Do the khands have both tangible and intangible/spiritual qualities? If yes, then does testing occur on both the tangible and intangible at the same time?
6. What yardstick is used to determine whether an "agent of God" has passed the tests to which he himself was once put? Or perhaps an agent of God was advanced, requiring no tests himself.
7. How does one know that the agent of God is a kind of teacher or spiritual sage - rather than a danaav sent to mislead?
8. If the experiences of an agent of God cannot be shared, how does the chella benefit from them?
9. Ultimately in the vedic tradition a chella is told "Be your own guru!" This marks the teacher's sense that the chella has evolved to the stage where a teacher hinders a student's further spiritual progress. Is there anything in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji telling us that a similar dependence on agents of God or spiritual sages takes place? Does Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji tell us that spiritual dependence then is followed by ultimate independence?

Your answers would go a long way to helping the rest of us learn how Guru Nanak abandoned the notion of spiritual aristocracy. Bibek buddhi is there in all.

From the vichaar of findingmyway ji on another thread:

Spnadmin ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for reviving the thread. It did need a jolt of resuscitation for the sake of Sikhi because in fact none of my questions were answered but circled around like a good Rodeo rider would do. All the so called answers were not actually answers to my questions but a desperate attempt to insert Hindutva and Vedic mumbo jumbo in Sikhi. One just needs a handful of mud to muddy the pristine waters.

Arshi ji is right. To my surprise he did PM me which was unexpected as Sikhi is not discussed behind any veils but openly and I did tell him the discussion was becoming argumentative and all things should be discussed in an open forum so others can also pitch in.

The interesting part of this revival is that a few months ago, a gentleman/kathavaachak came from Birmingham, England who belonged to "Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha",GNNSJ for short, to the Gurdwara and talked about the Khands and other things exactly the same way as Arshi ji has done. It did seem from the exact same playbook and under the same breath he kept on singing praises and continued talking about the greatness of his "faith leader":Bhai Sahib Dr. Mohinder Singh Ji while sitting in front of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru and leader. It was a bit surprising to say the least.

I went and talked to him after the diwan but just like Arshi ji, he was also a great rodeo rider.

The beauty of Sikhi is that we all keep on learning from one generation to the other, from one scholar to the other. No one is perfect in Sikhi, hence the name. We, as students learn from other like minded students who many have said or claimed something in the past which may not have been true. This is the learning process we are fortunate to go through and hence are able to maneuver the hazards that life makes us confront in a better manner.

I hope with the time passed, Arshi ji has accumulated his perspective from different angles of Sikhi and is able to share with us about them now. Sikhi is all about learning,unlearning and relearning daily. He has not been able to respond to your questions either which is surprising because we can all benefit from his knowledge and wisdom.

I went to the Internet and found the following which is a known cult whose "Faith Leader" is an attention seeker and sadly has taken himself with his hindutva mindset to represent Sikhi by meeting the high and mighty like the Popes of the Vatican etc. etc.

This shows more about me-ism than anything to do with Sikhi in my opinion. What this self proclaimed "Faith Leader" represents is his own shiny side with his gold/gem crusted 3 ft Kirpan along with the other Sikhi regalia while taking the sheen out of what Sikhi really stands for. It is a shame indeed. These kinds of people should be banned as the self proclaimed representatives of Sikhi who participate in these events for no other reason but their own selfish ones. Sikhi regalia is their entrance ticket to them, nothing more.

Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha
Faith: Sikhism - Sikh Dharam
Faith Leader(s): Bhai Sahib Dr. Mohinder Singh Ji
Management: Bhai Sahib Dr. Mohinder Singh Ji (Chairman)

This is their website which talks about themselves:http://www.birminghamfaithmap.org.uk/place.php?placeID=25

@ Arshi ji, I did write something about Yugs many years ago and in my opinion, the same thought can be transported to the Khands. What do you think? Please share your views. Thanks.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/spiritual-articles/20402-satyug-the-bowl-of-cherries.html

Thanks and regards Spnadmin ji for reviving this important matter which is of utter importance to Sikhi so that the grain can be separated from the chaff in our Sikhi realm.

Tejwant Singh

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
spnadmin ji

Many thanks for your response and you have taken a lot of trouble in resurrecting some of the points in discussion at the time.

It is a long time when I first wrote this article. I am not sure who I am addressing here, Narayanjyot Kaur ji (moderator at the time), Aman Singh ji or another blessed soul (I hope it is OK to use the term). It is a lot easier if we can identify the person asking the questions, otherwise it sometimes give the impression of a level of aloofness or isolation. However, it does not matter as I can only say what I believe in.

I may be totally off track, and if so many apologies, an inner voice gave me the warning of a looming stormsince normallyyour posts are heart-warming and ones to look forward to. I was right. Your initial post gave me the impression of inquisition rather than a discussion amongst friends and fellow seekers. For if anyone is inept in understanding fellow human beings, than yours truly would head that list – so again forgive me if I got this wrong.

I am a simple person with simple thoughts and you give me far too much credit for someone unable to answer your questions satisfactorily.

One of the notes to my essay was:

“Writing about the Five Realms is the most difficult task a writer can undertake. This is the FIRST EDITION of the article – it may undergo changes for quality and accuracy.”

When I wrote this article in 2009, I based it entirely on the following sources:

- Translation of Guru Granth Sahib Ji by Prof Sahib Singh.
- Other teekas in Punjabi and English
- Books written by eminent authors such as Sarinder Singh Kohli and others.
- Discourses by renowned parcharaks, e.g. Maskin ji, Pinder Pal Singh ji.
- Discussions with various seekers of Truth.
- Influence of personalities who came into my life from time to time.
- My own intuition.

Although the end result cannot be ascribed to any one particular source, the article is heavily weighted towards Prof Sahib Singh ji’s Darpan.

The following remarks are also for the reference of respected Tejwant ji plus to whom it may concern. I will also respond to some of his remarks in a separate post as and when I find the time.

The time has come to pen a few facts of my life. I spent the 1940’s in India, the 1950’s and most of 1960’s in Nairobi, Kenya and the rest of the time in UK.

Perhaps the most impressionable days are the ones when one undertakes primary and secondary education, marries and starts a career. Most of this happened in Nairobi, Kenya. In the 1950’s and 1960’s the whites, the Asians and the Africans lived in separate localities. The Asians were predominantly Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims. Our goals were similar as were our problems. We lived as one large family. In our personal relational relationships the religion of humanity preceded anything else. We lived like brothers and sisters. This is what, in my opinion real Sikhi is about. Thus when I write I think more like a human being than someone rigidly tied down to a doctrine. However, Guru Nanak means everything to me. For me there is no other equal and the same goes for his successors and the Living Light Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Make no mistake I have allegiance to no one else, period.

With the progression of time new terms come into use and these sometimes encourage us to start labeling and judging others. This is not aimed at spadmin ji – just a general observation. It not too long ago that I came across the term ‘Hindutva’ – take it to be my ignorance but I really did not know what the term stood for. In the 1940’s to late 1960’s I was brought up in an environment where we interacted freely without casting stones at each others. I was very interested in sangeet at a very early age and sang at Gurpurbs, school and other functions, including the Voice of Kenya. This was both devotional and other music. We rejoiced in each others company regardless of our faiths and curiously one’s best friends came from a different faith. We spoke the language of love and at the same time followed our respective faiths.

In my entire life I have never disrespected my hair, even in the very late 1960’s, 70’s and 80’s when discrimination was strong and rife in the UK. Sikhs were removing their hair for ordinary jobs. The thought of doing so never crossed my mind. Such was my commitment to Sikhi. In the 1980’s I was the sole lecturer in London reporting in class rooms, sabat soorat, with a white dastar, that stood out from miles So I do not need anyone to tell me what Sikhi is all about. I do not write under a secret name and anyone who wishes to debate my Sikhi is invited to debate it in person, if he or she so wishes. Internet is not always the best means for debate. I apologise if my words appear to be harsh but no one, repeat no one, ought to question my commitment to Sikhi. I have written and posted many articles on this site well liked by admin and others including Tejwant ji. I have shown nothing but utter respect to Tejwant ji but his post above leaves a lot to be desired.

I have already indicated that as and when I feel more enlightened I do hope to revisit Pauris 34-37 and other areas of interest to the Seekers of Truth.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I have looked at quite a few sources whilst trying to get my head around this.
My personal conclusion ??
Well, I'm strongly under the impression that the khands are NOT anything to do with where you go after death. They are also not necessary to attain in order as in the ladder manner such that we don't have 4 different types of Sikhs all stuck at one khand level at any given time.

My impression is that they are levels of spiritual development that all have to be conquered until one becomes Gurmukh.
When I say Gurmukh, I mean one that is completely Guru Centered within and where NO Ego abides or there is not an ounce of self-centeredness.-because we still have Ego and self centering up until the final stages where the me and I no longer exists.

I usually don't paste other peoples work because I like to answer with my own very simplified basic English for everyone to understand, However in this case it is very difficult for me and I will have to paste probably the better source that I found for me personally.
After days of reading and looking through various different versions and sources, I have come to settle very closely to this one.

http://www.sadhsangat.com/19/

It is the popular Rawel Singh.

The Five Khands in Japu
If we were to state the purpose of human birth, and the method to achieve it, in a few words it would be ‘to reunite the soul with the Creator and this is possible through Divine grace’. The first composition in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, ‘Japu’, leads us on that path. The process starts with Gurparsad (Guru’s grace) in the Mool Mantar, nadree mokh duaar (salvation through grace) and culminates in “Nanak nadree nadar nihaal”, (vision of the Creator through His grace).
Guru Nanak has used two words nadar and nihaal.
Nadar Karam or just Nadar is the Punjabi version of the Persian ‘Nazray karam’ meaning looking favorably or showing grace and is used in Gurbani to denote Divine grace. Nihaal also means seeing or sight and is normally used to indicate the benefit of nadar and the resultant happiness. So Japu leads the soul to profound happiness through Divine grace.
Japu has 38 Pauris or stanzas followed by an epilogue, the Slok. The culmination of the process of gaining grace is described in the last six Pauris out of which the 32nd and 33rd Pauris are in preparation of the ascent to the high state or level which metaphorically is the abode of the formless Creator. The 32nd Pauri says that in order to be one with the Master one must remember and imbibe His virtues endlessly to be entitled to His grace:
ਇਕ ਦੂ ਜੀਭੌ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਲਖ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਲਖ ਵੀਸ ਲਖੁ ਲਖੁ ਗੇੜਾ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਗਦੀਸ ਏਤੁ ਰਾਹਿ ਪਤਿ ਪਵੜੀਆ ਚੜੀਐ ਹੋਇ ਇਕੀਸ ॥ ॥ ਸੁਣਿ ਗਲਾ ਆਕਾਸ ਕੀ ਕੀਟਾ ਆਈ ਰੀਸ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਕੂੜੀ ਕੂੜੈ ਠੀਸ ੩੨੧ ੭
May I have my one tongue multiplied a million times, then twenty million, and with each of them I utter Naam, the Name of the Master, a million times; these are the steps of the staircase that raise me to be one with Him. This is so motivating that hearing the Divine virtues even the worms (those who never thought so) also wish to join; but this is possible by grace; otherwise it is pointless waffle.
The 33rd Pauri, continuing in the same vein, emphasizes the need for grace stating that no one can achieve this by personal strength.
The next four Pauris describe the five Khands meaning realms or stages of spiritual advancement. The process involves progressive widening of the thought horizon with the individual identifying himself as part of the cosmos and therefore the total creation, finally seeing the Creator in every thing that exists. In that state one conforms to the laws of nature, accepting them as Divine commands.
The five stages are of dutifulness, knowledge, toil or effort, grace and finally the Truth.
For success in any field it is necessary to have commitment and dedication to achieve the goal. Accordingly the first step is to identify what is to be done and do it well. This is the realm of dutifulness or Dharam Khand. Dharam, which in English language is referred to as Dharma, also means religion and righteousness. The latter two also boil down to dutifulness as one needs to carry out what is expected in the given environment. As in any practical situation one is judged based on deeds or performance. The 34th Pauri says:
ਰਾਤੀ ਰੁਤੀ ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ ਪਵਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਗਨੀ ਪਾਤਾਲ ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਧਰਤੀ ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖੀ ਧਰਮ ਸਾਲ
Night (and day), the seasons, the lunar movements, days of the week; the air, water, fire and the nether regions; in their company the earth has been created to perform one’s Dharam;
ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਜੀਅ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਕੇ ਰੰਗ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਅਨੇਕ ਅਨੰਤ
On the earth there are creatures of various types and hues with innumerable names; (this indicates that one should act in the awareness that other creatures also exist and one has responsibilities towards them).
ਕਰਮੀ ਕਰਮੀ ਹੋਇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ਸਚਾ ਆਪਿ ਸਚਾ ਦਰਬਾਰੁ
They are all judged based on their deeds, past and current; the Judge is just and so is His court;
ਤਿਥੈ ਸੋਹਨਿ ਪੰਚ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਨਦਰੀ ਕਰਮਿ ਪਵੈ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ
Those whose performance is accepted are glorified; they are marked for Divine grace.
ਕਚ ਪਕਾਈ ਓਥੈ ਪਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਗਇਆ ਜਾਪੈ ਜਾਇ ੩੪੧ ੭
Whether the soul has matured to receive this grace is decided only when one reaches the Master’ abode.
The words ‘ਕਚ ਪਕਾਈ’ used above literally mean raw or ripe, immature or mature. This concept is frequently employed in Gurbani using Chaupar, a game of dice as metaphor. Briefly stated in this game the pieces which move according to throw of dice can get home if they have matured. Similarly the souls whose deeds are acceptable are considered mature and entitled to enter Home, the abode of the Creator.
The first two lines of the 35th Pauri indicate that the next stage is the realm of knowledge, thus:
ਧਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕਾ ਏਹੋ ਧਰਮੁ ਗਿਆਨ ਖੰਡ ਕਾ ਆਖਹੁ ਕਰਮੁ
Having learnt about dutifulness in Dharam Khand let us talk about Gian khnd the realm of knowledge.
Whereas Dharam Khand talks in terms of the earth, our solar system and individual conduct, Gian Khand enlarges the vision to include the belief systems, different types of life forms, their sounds and scientific facts including those about other solar systems:
ਕੇਤੇ ਪਵਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਵੈਸੰਤਰ ਕੇਤੇ ਕਾਨ ਮਹੇਸ ਕੇਤੇ ਬਰਮੇ ਘਾੜਤਿ ਘੜੀਅਹਿ ਰੂਪ ਰੰਗ ਕੇ ਵੇਸ ਕੇਤੀਆ ਕਰਮ ਭੂਮੀ ਮੇਰ ਕੇਤੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਧੂ ਉਪਦੇਸ
There are many types of air (gases), water (liquids), fire (sources of heat and light); there are many Krishnas, Maheshs, many Brahmas with creations in different forms and colors. There are numerous places to perform duties and many disciples like Dhru and teachers (like Naarda);
It is interesting to note that unlike one each of the gods like Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh in the Hindu belief there are many of them. This confirms that the adjective One applies only to the Creator.
ਕੇਤੇ ਇੰਦ ਚੰਦ ਸੂਰ ਕੇਤੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਮੰਡਲ ਦੇਸ
There are numerous clouds, moons, suns, solar systems and planets.
This says that there are numerous solar systems, a fact not known to the scientist when it was stated by Guru nanak.
ਕੇਤੇ ਸਿਧ ਬੁਧ ਨਾਥ ਕੇਤੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਦੇਵੀ ਵੇਸ ਕੇਤੇ ਦੇਵ ਦਾਨਵ ਮੁਨਿ ਕੇਤੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਰਤਨ ਸਮੁੰਦ ਕੇਤੀਆ ਖਾਣੀ ਕੇਤੀਆ ਬਾਣੀ ਕੇਤੇ ਪਾਤ ਨਰਿੰਦ ਕੇਤੀਆ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਸੇਵਕ ਕੇਤੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਅੰਤੁ ੩੫
There are numerous Sidhas, Buddhas, yogis, goddesses, gods, demons; many silent ascetics, many valuables in the sea. There are many life forms, types of speech and chains of kings, Many have wisdom and devotional service; there is no limit to all this.
With this knowledge one is motivated to listen to the celestial music i.e. the Divine Word. This acts as motivation to fashion one’s life and to be part of all this. This leads to the realm of effort or diligence, the Saram Khand described in the 36th Pauri:
ਸਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਰੂਪੁ ਤਿਥੈ ਘਾੜਤਿ ਘੜੀਐ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਅਨੂਪੁ ਤਾ ਕੀਆ ਗਲਾ ਕਥੀਆ ਨਾ ਜਾਹਿ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ ਤਿਥੈ ਘੜੀਐ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਮਤਿ ਮਨਿ ਬੁਧਿ ਤਿਥੈ ਘੜੀਐ ਸੁਰਾ ਸਿਧਾ ਕੀ ਸੁਧਿ ੩੬
In Saram Khand one aims at beauty (the method the bride adopts to be attracted by the husband); the soul fashions itself into incomparable beauty that cannot be described; the consciousness, thinking and understanding are molded and purified to be like those of the gods and the sidhas.
The mind so molded is able to resist temptations and is not distracted from the path he (or she) has chosen. He gets the strength to embark on the final ascent. This stage can only be reached by Divine grace; he has thus entered the realm of Grace the Karam Khand described in the first part of Pauri 37:
ਕਰਮ ਖੰਡ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੋਰੁ ਤਿਥੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਨ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰੁ ਤਿਥੈ ਜੋਧ ਮਹਾਬਲ ਸੂਰ ਤਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰ ਤਿਥੈ ਸੀਤੋ ਸੀਤਾ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਤਾ ਕੇ ਰੂਪ ਨ ਕਥਨੇ ਜਾਹਿ ਨਾ ਓਹਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਨ ਠਾਗੇ ਜਾਹਿ ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਤਿਥੈ ਭਗਤ ਵਸਹਿ ਕੇ ਲੋਅ ਕਰਹਿ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਸਚਾ ਮਨਿ ਸੋਇ
Karam Khand is characterized by one seeing none else but the Creator (in nature). Ever imbued with praises of the Master and Naam in mind one gets strength like that of the great warriors; their form cannot be described; those in whose mind God abides do not perish or get led astray, there is devotion and presence of the True Lord in their minds makes them happy.
Karam Khand therefore is the state of mind where one realizes that he does not do any thing; every thing is attributed to the Creator. This Divine grace enables one to enter the abode of the Eternal Lord, the Sach khand described in the second part of the 37th Pauri:
ਸਚ ਖੰਡਿ ਵਸੈ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲ ਤਿਥੈ ਖੰਡ ਮੰਡਲ ਵਰਭੰਡ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਥੈ ਤ ਅੰਤ ਨ ਅੰਤ ਤਿਥੈ ਲੋਅ ਲੋਅ ਆਕਾਰ ਜਿਵ ਜਿਵ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਤਿਵੈ ਤਿਵ ਕਾਰ ਵੇਖੈ ਵਿਗਸੈ ਕਰਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਥਨਾ ਕਰੜਾ ਸਾਰੁ ੩੭੧ ੮
Sach Khand is the abode of the Formless lord; He creates and bestows His grace; He pervades all planets, solar systems and the entire universe which has no limits; it covers all the planets and existence; every thing happens according to Divine commands, thinking of this the Creator is pleased. This state is as hard to describe as is iron.
So Sach Khand is where Divine commands, Hukam is obeyed. That is to say one who lives by Hukam is in Sach Khand. We read in the first Pauri:
ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ
How do we break the wall of falsehood and be one with the Truth?
Live according to the preordained Hukam.
Further it is by Divine grace that one carries out Hukam:
ਹੁਕਮੁ ਭੀ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਨਾਇਸੀ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮੰਨਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਸੁਹਾਗਣਿ ਹੋਇ ੩ ੫੧੦
Only those who receive Divine grace carry out Hukam; accepting Hukam they become the fortunate recipients of the Master’s love and comfort (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, p 510).

The next part is what I found quite important-
The 38th Pauri of Japu summarizes the five Khands using the metaphor of a goldsmith’s shop where he melts and casts the precious metal: '
ਜਤੁ ਪਾਹਾਰਾ ਧੀਰਜੁ ਸੁਨਿਆਰੁ ॥—

Let self discipline be the shop and let the goldsmith show patience in what he does – Realm of dutifulness, Dharam Khand.
ਅਹਰਣਿ ਮਤਿ ਵੇਦੁ ਹਥੀਆਰੁ
Let the mind be the anvil which receives the hammer of scriptural teachings –Realm of knowledge, Gian Khand.
ਭਉ ਖਲਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਤਪ ਤਾਉ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਭਾਉ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਢਾਲਿ ਘੜੀਐ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੀ ਟਕਸਾਲ
Make carrying out commands (described as bhau) the bellows, and heat, the remembrance; make love the crucible in which to put the nectar of Naam (melt the gold) and understand (mold) it with the Shabad – Realm of effort, Saram Khand
ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਤਿਨ ਕਾਰ
This is done by those who receive Divine grace – Grace, Karam Khand.
ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲ ੩੮
With this grace they have vision of the Lord and happiness – Truth, God’s abode, Sach Khand.

The five khands thus are the final stages of the journey which starts with Gurparsadi (knowing through Guru’s grace), continues with living according to Hukam and finally receiving Divine grace leading to being one with the Creator.

4916866000947279564-8517811934043294185

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM