• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Day I Listened To My First Shabad

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Last night, was my wife's birthday, even though we are not gursikh, we tend to get our meat from my fine friend next door to my shop, a butcher, a {censored}ney, wonderful fellow, salt of the earth, he has made it his mission to make spot checks on me throughout the day and confiscate any chocolate on my premises. I know the meat is not halal, and it is local, and it tastes great!

So I made tandoori chicken, and then fell asleep on the sofa, whilst stepson and mother watched horror movies upstairs, it is something they used to do before we married, so when stepson comes over, I leave them to the age old ritual of watching horror movies in bed.

I hate horror movies, I also fall asleep watching anything longer than 30 mins, and my stepson used to get most upset when he could hear snoring at a crucial moment, harry look at this, err he's asleep again, so I lay on the sofa, and actually for the first time in my life, wished I could play something soothing, spiritual, and peaceful to listen to.

I dropped off again, and was woken by stepson, who gave me a hug and a kiss, and told me to go upstairs. My stepson is 20 now, lives on his own, and works for me part time, although he can be as manmukh as an 20 year old, he is polite and respectful, even now, when I give him a lift to a party, or if he is in front of his friends, he will always kiss me, hug me, and tell me he loves me, regardless who is watching, I think he feels it is the most normal thing in the world,

So this morning, like every morning at around 5, I get into my shop, after playing the doors, and marvin gaye, thank you ambersariaji, I got a yearning for something punjabi, so I played the only punjabi song that touched me, ek baba, by babu mann, after which, I decided I was ready, for the first time in my life, to play a shabad, for the first time, not for any other reason than I wished to, so, I found Deh Siva bar Mohe. The crucial test was always, with a song that touches me, whether I got goosepimples or not,
yes, I did, and I enjoyed it, really enjoyed it, for an encore, I went for Mere Sahib. Shabads are not like other songs, obviously, but I could not help but feel peaceful and thankful, As with most of my music, I like thoughtful, slow, simple songs, and I found I like my shabads the same, songs that pull at your heart, Main Andhle Ki Tek followed, yes, I know there is a pattern here!, they were all shabads sung by me as a 5 year old at 'tuesday class' at Gurdwara. I cannot help but feel a bit teary, that 5 year old, such innocence, such trust, I was happy before that thought, now sadness fills me, I am not sure why, I think it is because of all the lost years from 13-41, when I did not know the creators grace, but, today I listen to my first shabad, because I wanted to,

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM