• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sakhis The Conmen - Twisting The Truth

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
THE CONMEN -TWISTING THE TRUTH

(Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’)

Once there lived a conman. By sheer coincidence he met another member of his fraternity and a friendship ensued between the two. They both sat down and discussed how they can combine their talents and con rich people. The first conman said:

“If I tell a lie you back me up and I will do the same for you”.

They went to a rich trader’s house. The first cheat boasted as follows:

“I am an accomplished archer and a marksman. Once, when hunting, I took aim and pierced the foot, ear and horn of an antelope with a single arrow”.

“Now that is a blatant lie” retorted the rich trader.

The second conman answered instead:

“Well sire it was like this – when my friend took aim at the deer, the antelope was scratching its ear and hence the arrow drove straight though its foot, ear and the horn”.

The tycoon nodded and the second conman went on:

“Now listen to my feat. Once I saw a pigeon perched up on a branch. I took a shot at him with my catapult. The stone from the catapult landed on the pigeon’s stomach. The bird dropped dead on the grass, roasted like a kebab”.

“Now that is even a bigger lie” exclaimed their host in utter disbelief.

Now it was the first conman’s turn to back his friend. He said:

“Well sire it was like this. The pigeon my friend shot had just swallowed a few pebbles. The impact of the catapult blow caused friction amongst the pebbles, in the bird’s stomach, as they rubbed against each other, producing heat. As the bird hit the dry grass below it caught fire and smouldered the pigeon.

The above story is from folk lore, passed on from one generation to the other. Many such anecdotes have an inherent moral lesson and offer a means to an end. How often do we see people misrepresenting the truth either singly or in collusion with another person and sometimes through a group (club, association)! Such dishonesty is not only common in worldly affairs but also in matters of faith and spirituality, and particularly amongst Sikhs these days.

In Salok Sehaskiritee Guru Nanak states:

ਮੁਖਿ ਝੂਠੁ ਬਿਭੂਖਨ ਸਾਰੰ ਤ੍ਰੈਪਾਲ ਤਿਹਾਲ ਬਿਚਾਰੰ
mukh jhooth bibhookhan saaraN; taraipaal tihaal bichaaraN.

People dress up lies to impress and pass them off as truth. Lies are presented just like gold-plated iron - gold on the surface but black within. Even though some people recite prayers three times a day it does not stop them from conning others.

The author most humbly regrets any inaccuracy or errors in interpreting Gurbani or quoting facts.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’ (10/2009)

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Arshi Ji,

Thank you for the story. There are many many things to consider in relgion, in ones realationshp with God, in living in a way that is consistant with ones dharma, in the Sikh path as well as all others.

We often forget this aspect of God, 'True'.

Ik onkar Sat naam!

The very first words utterd by our Guru ji.

We are as a speices convinced of our 'knowledge' we proclaim this truth and others proclaim that truth, and where these truths disagree we often fight over it.

Hah let the truth be known, God is True, this we often forget thank you for reminding us.

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Lee ji

You really hit the nail on the head when you wrote:

“We are as a species convinced of our 'knowledge' we proclaim this truth and others proclaim that truth, and where these truths disagree we often fight over it”.

You are absolutely right. In fact our knowledge is very limited and our ‘truth’ often prejudiced and distorted. We often toy with the truth to fulfil our selfish needs, designs, and desires; little do we realise that the comforts we crave for and derive from such activities are short-lived and will not benefit us towards the real objective for which we were granted this human form.

Guru Nanak proclaimed there is only one absolute, unbiased, everlasting, eternal Truth.

ਆਦਿਸਚੁਜੁਗਾਦਿਸਚੁਹੈਭੀਸਚੁਨਾਨਕਹੋਸੀਭੀਸਚੁ
aad sach jugaad sach; hai bhi sach Nanak hosee bhi sach.(1)

As he was in the beginning – the Truth, throughout the ages he has been - the Truth. Even now he is the Truth. O’ Nanak, forever he will remain the Truth Eternal.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Saadh Sangat Jio

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

When writing the above parable, the current state of affairs in Sikhism came to mind. A lot is happening from which we cannot derive any pleasure or pride. The current tug of war between the two factions on Dasam Granth proves, beyond doubt, we do not need any enemies from outside we have plenty within our own ranks. I have avoided these issues deliberately as my prime concern is my personal spirituality and nothing should come between me and my Guru – however, it is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore what is going on. My stand is totally neutral when it comes to meting out blame in this unfortunate comedy of errors.

There is no doubt that our priestly class is corrupt, greedy and ‘super-glued’ to their chairs, often with the help of corrupt politicians and government agencies, but we must not forget that Prof. Darshan Singh comes from the same stock – so why should we trust him any more than the others? He has earned and gained a lot from reciting bani from Dasam Granth and no fair-minded person would begrudge him that. The point is, he has been doing this for a very long time despite his vast knowledge. He must have known it was wrong then – so why has he suddenly woken up? Are there elements which have influenced him into doing so? Has he, like the jathedars, struck a deal with the opponents of the Dasam Granth and jathedars? These questions naturally come to mind. Would we back him if he had never left India and was not settled abroad?

I remember over twenty years ago friends of mine, who were great fans of the professor, told me how he boasted of his vast knowledge and how he can argue both ways on any point– i.e. pass off the truth as lies and vice versa. As bad and corrupt as our Jathedars, the cream of the priestly class, are, can we really trust Prof. Darshan Singh who comes from the same background? On top of that he is also a kirtanya and we do know the insatiable greed from which our kirtanyas suffer. As a nishkaam kirtanya, who has produced CDs and performed on many stages, I have seen their greed from close quarters. SPN appears to have a lot of faith in Professor Sahib – I pray that their faith is justified and well placed, but, I am not too sure! My suggestion is that SPN should play a neutral role. I do not know Prof. Sahib personally and have no axe to grind.

The Sikh Gurus, long ago, warned us of unscrupulous people who would do anything to serve their own ends. Let us heed the warning.

In Salok Sehaskiritee Guru Nanak states:

ਮੁਖਿ ਝੂਠੁ ਬਿਭੂਖਨ ਸਾਰੰ ਤ੍ਰੈਪਾਲ ਤਿਹਾਲ ਬਿਚਾਰੰ

mukh jhooth bibhookhan saaraN; taraipaal tihaal bichaaraN.

People dress up lies to impress and pass them off as truth. Lies are presented just like gold-plated iron - gold on the surface but black within. Even though some people recite prayers three times a day it does not stop them from conning others.

May the Lord help the Sikh Panth

Humbly
Rajinder singh ‘Arshi’

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
There is no doubt that our priestly class is corrupt, greedy and ‘super-glued’ to their chairs, often with the help of corrupt politicians and government agencies, but we must not forget that Prof. Darshan Singh comes from the same stock – so why should we trust him any more than the others? He has earned and gained a lot from reciting bani from Dasam Granth and no fair-minded person would begrudge him that. The point is, he has been doing this for a very long time despite his vast knowledge. He must have known it was wrong then – so why has he suddenly woken up? Are there elements which have influenced him into doing so? Has he, like the jathedars, struck a deal with the opponents of the Dasam Granth and jathedars? These questions naturally come to mind. Would we back him if he had never left India and was not settled abroad?

Gurfateh!

There is no question of Trusting anybody here. Trust comes into picture where we ourselves have lost the ability to comprehend what is wrong & what is right! Not to question or blindly believing is unbecoming of a Sikh, the seeker, the learner.

Prof Darshan, to his credit, confesses that he had been parrot feeding/reading Gurbani all his life and now when he has made efforts to understand the real meanings of these scriptures that he has raised his voice. It is our Ego that prevents us from acknowledging the fact that we have been parrot fed all our lives reading or understanding Gurbani without ever contemplating on the real meanings.

We, very conveniently blame Prof Darshan for creating doubts in the minds of Sikh Panth? But i fail to understand: How someone can create doubts? How is it possible? Doubts can only be created in the mind of an illiterate person, who has to rely on what is being fed in his mind by the Sants and Babas... Have we, ourselves, lost the ability to read, write and comprehend what is being presented to us as words of The Guru?

I am afraid it is not the Akal Takh Jathedars and for that matter Prof Darshan who have cast doubts in the mind of The Sikh Panth. It is The Sikh Panth, who has allowed these doubts to crept in due to our sheer ignorance and hypocrisy. Education of Sikh Clergy, Sikh Masses is the only solution. Education eliminates doubts & ignorance and then we don't have to trust just about any third party like a Sant or a Baba.

How can we believe that what the every other so called Sant or Baba is telling is truth. Only blind faith, nothing more. How do you identify who is a Sant or a Baba? A Sant or a Baba resides in every Sikh itself, need is to take out that Sant residing with us. A Sikh has a very personal relation with his/her Guru! There can be no mediators or third parties to this relation!

It is astonishing to realize that it could be possible to cast doubts in such a young philosophy called Sikhi, where we have the original, unadulterated Shabad Guru to comprehend and seek guidance. A Blind Faith based on our Trust/Faith is simply not Sikhi! A Sikh is the learner, the seeker. A learner, who can not evolve in his thought process can not be a Sikh or the Khalsa.

Respected Arshi ji,

You recently shared with us your personal understanding on The Five Realms as described in Jap ji Sahib ji. Now say, after a few years, you happen to realize and comprehend an entirely different perspective on the same topic? Would you not like to share that the evolution of your thought process with us? Only your ego would prevent you from sharing that new thought process or you would be afraid of the backlash you would receive from fellow Sangat for changing your views on the same subject.
But would it be prudent not to share your evolution of understanding at all just because that would put so called doubt in the mind of the reader. :)

Bhul Chuk Maaf
My apologies for some harsh language.

Gurfateh!!

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Aman Singh Ji

Gur Fateh.

Many thanks for clearing up a few points. First of all you have not used any harsh words and have been totally respectful – even if you did I would not take offence – can’t I do this much for my Guru. Please do not think this way, we are all sons of the same Guru and therefore brothers – ik bhra ucheeh bolay taan dooja goosa karay eh Sikhi nahin? And you have not really said anything for which you should apologise.

I have been trying to keep out of any political discussions, as these lead the mind away from the real purpose of this mortal life and that is to obtain moksha (Jeevan Mukti). This is the first post I made on this topic and perhaps a mistake and a nail in the coffin of Jeevan Mukti I am seeking. However, It was hard to avoid it since the SPN site is now sprinkled with information on the same topic.

I felt since quite a spectrum of individuals access this site, it would take a neutral stance and try and not stoke the fire of controversy – not that I am accusing you of doing this. I am taking a completely neutral stance even though my sixth sense dictates otherwise. I made my earlier post based on these reasons (please note these are only my observations):

(1) Is the debate/dispute really about DG or about two personalities – Prof Sahib and Mr Lamba with the Sikh clergy simply sidelined? Should we not concentrate on the reall issues without getting into personalities – this point is in favour of Prof Ji too.

(2) Prof. DS has been preaching for a very long time and not only widely respected for his kirtan skills but also for his knowledge of SGGS and DG. The point is he must have been aware of the anomalies of the DG all along but still persisted on singing bani from it. In other words he must have known it was a mistake then – then what made him change at this late stage of his life? This is a question not an accusation. It is quite possible that his conscious, like you pointed out, dictated he should clarify his stance. In this case it is commendable and I would support him all the way. Another scenario is also possible – I sincerely hope this is not the case since I like prof. Sahib for his kirtan just as much as you. There are elements in Canada and the States with very radical views. Could they have influenced him? Please educate me on this.

(3) Are all members of the clergy corrupt? Are they all stooges of Mr Lamba? Aren’t there decent folks amongst them? Do we see things only in black and white?

(4) Is there not a better way of resolving our differences than making public statements and washing our linen in the public? Can SPN not assist in any way in cooling things off – that is all I am asking!

(5) We cannot at this stage accept closed door decisions on this matter, yet knowing Sikhs, a public affair may lead to bloodshed. Is there an alternative? Could SPN work towards finding and suggesting this alternative – e.g. a conference of selected but respected Sikh leaders? Can we avoid making ourselves the laughing stock of the whole world? Is the reverence in which we hold one individual (even if it is me) worth putting the whole Panth under risk? Can Prof Sahib show humility and do something in his powers to stop this agonizing schism taking place in the Panth? What would a true Sikh do? A supreme sacrifice is needed for the sake of unity – let us see who makes it – I don’t think Mr Lamba will hold his hand up. If Prof Sahib is what we believe him to be, we must look up to him to ‘offer his head’ for the sake of the Panth and let us see how the clergy react to that. I am sure he will win us all over with his humility.

Please forgive for a lot of questions – but these have been agonizing and stopping me from writing creative material. I hope your answer to this post is enlightening and conciliatory, as it always is, since I wish to get back to interpreting and understaning Gurbani and keep out of this controversy. I think I have said my piece and hope this to be my last post on this topic since I do not wish to upset anyone.

Please forgive anything I may have said, unintentionally, which is not to your liking.

Humbly
Rajinder Singh

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
I entirely agree with arshi ji. A lot is at stake. This is time for calm contemplation and not blind rush to take sides; either pro DG or anti DG AND either pro Prof Sahib or anti Prof Sahib.

Let's remember many highly regarded scholars of Panth such as Giani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen, Dr. JS Neki, Bhai Vir Singh ji, Prof. Puran Singh, Giani Pinder Pal Singh and even IJ Singh in a recent post have not rubbished DG. In fact in a very recent Katha, Giani Pinder Pal Singh said that those who rubbish DG entirely are requested to first have a good knowledge of Sri Guru Granth Sahib and then start thinking of commenting on DG.
Prof Darshan Singh ji himself has very humbly stated that until recently he was just parroting both SGGS and DG.

On my own, I do not possess any knowledge of DG and very little if any of SGGS. But I go by what the above highly respected personalities have to say.

Members in this forum who are less than half my age are more knowledgeble in many aspects of Sikhi and spirituality. So there is hardly any value addition that I can make on the topic. I can only very humbly reinforce arshi ji's request that SPN having a class of members that is different, that is well informed, is spiritually inclined and has well being of Sikhi at heart, help to cool things off. And let us also keep an open mind until the subject has been thoroughly examined fron all aspects.

Gurfateh and chardikalan

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
I am pleased to see Gyani Pinder Pal Singh Ji's name on Harbans Ji's list. I am a great fan of his. Unlike other Katha vaachaks and Ragis, he does not do any play-acting and his fluent katha seems to come from the heart.

I think one day he will be regarded as an equal (if not better) of Maskin Ji and other greats in his line of work. When in Delhi last time, I picked up 4 of his books from the Sis Ganj bookshop and hope to the same next week when we are in Delhi. I pray he does not do anything in the future to tarnish his image.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

amrit.saggu

SPNer
Jul 17, 2009
Lee ji

You really hit the nail on the head when you wrote:

“We are as a species convinced of our 'knowledge' we proclaim this truth and others proclaim that truth, and where these truths disagree we often fight over it”.

You are absolutely right. In fact our knowledge is very limited and our ‘truth’ often prejudiced and distorted. We often toy with the truth to fulfil our selfish needs, designs, and desires; little do we realise that the comforts we crave for and derive from such activities are short-lived and will not benefit us towards the real objective for which we were granted this human form.

Guru Nanak proclaimed there is only one absolute, unbiased, everlasting, eternal Truth.

ਆਦਿਸਚੁਜੁਗਾਦਿਸਚੁਹੈਭੀਸਚੁਨਾਨਕਹੋਸੀਭੀਸਚੁ
aad sach jugaad sach; hai bhi sach Nanak hosee bhi sach.(1)

As he was in the beginning – the Truth, throughout the ages he has been - the Truth. Even now he is the Truth. O’ Nanak, forever he will remain the Truth Eternal.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

I couldn't agree with you more Arshi. Very well put. We are beings of such limited perspective attempting to encapsulate an infinite truth, with mere words. Of course most of us don't realize our true purpose for the human life form. I learned yesterday that a dog has 75% the exact same genetic makeup as a human; and a daffodil has 25% the exact same. Isn't this beautiful? Our consciousness' are so different from those plants and animals who share such a similar genetic make up. From this we should see that our purpose is not to be superior beings in this primitive food chain, but to ensure we beautify the world around us with compassion, selflessness, and truth- on our journey towards unification with the divine. Every traveling soul is always within the Divine Waheguru; As we are blessed with a higher consciousness, we are blessed with ability to reunify. This is why our human life should be so dearly valued by us. It is the greatest gift your soul has ever received. Reunify my friends.

-Amrit

roop singh

SPNer
Jul 13, 2009
sach sahbna da khasam hai jis bakhsa jo jan pabai,we talk about other people that are taking help of sri guru granth sahib ji bani but on the other hand sikh scholars themself indulge in such a controversy that we have to think wheather they r scholars or have doubts on bani of 10 gurus and saints

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Roop singh ji has made some pertinent observations.

The popular saying “too many chiefs and not enough Indians” applies to our scholarly class – these days nearly everyone is a scholar - cut and paste and lo and behold you are a scholar.

I remember when we emigrated to Kenya in February/ March 1951, having done three standards in a village school - where I learnt all my tables (20 x 20 + main fractions x 20) through muharni (oral recital) first thing every morning - I was admitted into the Fourth Standard in Nairobi. Soul Joyt Ji, a blessed soul and a regular contributor to this forum, would remember, as we were in the same school and the same year, that students coming from India were demoted and I, luckily, through the sheer determination of my mother and some private tuition was able to pass the entry test to the Fourth Standard. Having come from a village background, where we wrote on wooden boards and slates, the provision of exercise books was a great novelty. Freshly printed text books and writing books would yield an aroma hitherto unknown to a village lad.

The exercise books provided by the school or bought from DL Patel stationers carried on the front page the ID information as follows:

Scholar’s name:
Standard:
Subject:

Although the dictionary provides several meanings of the term scholar (reproduced below) to me it means a student.

Dictionary Meaning:
1. One who attends school or studies with a teacher; a student
2. A learned person.
3. A specialist in a given branch of knowledge: a classical scholar. 4 A student who holds or has held a particular scholarship.

Most, so called, scholars know only a little more than the rest of us and, therefore, we must not take what they say as gospel. The actual expanse of knowledge is vast and limitless – even if we were to be born a million times and undertake as many university courses, our knowledge will still not show on the Map of Knowledge. This is why Humility in the House of Nanak is the ultimate goal of a seeker.

One well known figure, a Hindu priest, pandit astrologer and an occasional broadcaster in Kenya used to say behind closed doors:

Dunya wich bewfkoof ziyadaa ney par bewkoof banaun valaey ghat.
There are a lot more fools in the world but only a few who can fool others.

Much as I like and respect kirtaniyaas and parcharaks for their skills and knowledge, most of them do not have my true respect. Many make boasts similar to that of the egotistic pandit mentioned above. My main concern is that we must not allow one or two persons to dictate to the entire Sikh Panth – to hold the entire nation to ransom Imperfect as our leadership may be, but they do come from amongst our ranks and reflect our collective spiritual state of affairs today. It is true that our Spiritual leadership is corrupt and under the influence of politicians but so is our priestly class, made up of greedy and egotistic raagis, parcharks and katha vaachaks. There are of course, always, exceptions

We must resolve to make sure that the individuals at the helm (Akal Takht and other Takhts) are first class honourable individuals with immaculate credentials and integrity. This would take time but taking sides without knowing the Truth is distorting – twisting - the Truth. This is why it is so important that the media, including our esteemed SPN, must try and play a neutral role in sensitive situations.

Humbly

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
SPN jis!
So glad to read (for once!) the practitioners of a Religion - any Religion! - being so wise as to do a little introspection! The case of the poor old Catholic Church getting sued for 1.5 BILLION Dollars - and why they got sued! - come to mind; but then I'm an EX 'one of those', and my own comments on the subject have drawn to me a great deal of hubbub - and more! - just because the lawsuit (apparently) didn't teach them enough about not retaliating against those who DARE to Question.
Thank You! As always, a refreshing experience, SPN.
BTW; Have you ever heard of the Man who sold the Brooklyn Bridge to some new in town sap? It's the origin of the English expression of contempt (for ones gullibility) that goes, "Well, if you liked THAT, then I've got a Bridge that you might be interested in......"

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM