• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Blessing Of Parents

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
An 80 year old man was sitting on the sofa in his house along with his 45 years old highly educated son. Suddenly a crow perched on their window.

The Father asked his Son, "What is this?"

The Son replied "It is a crow".

After a few minutes, the Father asked his Son the 2nd time, "What is this?"

The Son said "Father, I have just now told you "It's a crow".

After a little while, the old Father again asked his Son the 3rd time,

What is this?"

At this time some expression of irritation was felt in the Son's tone when he said to his Father with a rebuff. "It's a crow, a crow".

A little after, the Father again asked his Son t he 4th time, "What is this?"

This time the Son shouted at his Father, "Why do you keep asking me the same question again and again, although I have told you so many times 'IT IS A CROW'. Are you not able to understand this?"

A little later the Father went to his room and came back with an old tattered diary, which he had maintained since his Son was born. On opening a page, he asked his Son to read that page. When the son read it, the following words were written in the diary :-

"Today my little son aged three was sitting with me on the sofa, when a crow was sitting on the window. My Son asked me 23 times what it was, and I replied to him all 23 times that it was a Crow. I hugged him lovingly each time h e asked me the same question again and again for 23 times. I did not at all feel irritated I rather felt affection for my innocent child".

While the little child asked him 23 times "What is this", the Father had felt no irritation in replying to the same question all 23 times and when today the Father asked his Son the same question just 4 times, the Son felt irritated and annoyed.

So..

If your parents attain old age, do not repulse them or look at them as a burden, but speak to them a gracious word, be cool, obedient, humble and kind to them. Be considerate to your parents.From today say this aloud, "I want to see my parents happy forever. They have cared for me ever since I was a little child. They have always showered their selfless love on me.

They crossed all mountains and valleys without seeing the storm and heat to make me a person presentable in the society today".

Say a prayer to Almighty, "I will serve my old parents in the BEST way. I will say all good and kind words to my dear parents, no matter how they behave.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source:
http://peaceseeds.elysiumgates.com/parents.html

largeparenttitle.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]"Show honor to your parents and pay homage to them. This will cause blessings to descend upon you from the clouds of the bounty of your Lord, the Exalted, the Great."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Baha'i Faith[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Baha'u'llah[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]in the Family Life compilation, pp. 386-38[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Those who wish to be born in [the Pure Land] of Buddha... should act filially towards their parents and support them, and should serve and respect their teachers and elders.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Buddhism[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Meditation on Buddha Amitayus 27[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]gives you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Christianity & Judaism[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Exodus 20.12[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The gentleman works upon the trunk. When that is firmly set up, the Way grows. And surely proper[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]behavior towards parents and elder brothers is the trunk of Goodness.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Confucianism[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Analects 1.2[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Now filial piety is the root of all virtue, and the stem out of which grows all moral teaching... Our bodies--to every hair and bit of skin--are received by us from our parents, and we must not presume to injure or wound them: this is the beginning of filial piety. When we have established our character by the practice of the filial course, so as to make our name famous in future ages, and thereby glorify our parents: this is the end of filial piety. It commences with the service of parents; it proceeds to the service of the ruler; it is completed by the establishment of [good] character.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Confucianism[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Confucianism. Classic on Filial Piety 1[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Do not neglect the works due to the gods and the fathers! Let your mother be to you like unto a god! Let your father be to you like unto a god![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Hinduism[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]aittiriyaka Upanishad 1.11.2[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Thy Lord has decreed... that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your lifetime, do not say to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say, "My Lord! bestow on them Thy mercy even as they cherished me in childhood."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Islam[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Qur'an 17.23[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]One companion asked, "O Apostle of God! Who is the person worthiest of my consideration?" He replied, "Your mother." He asked again, "And second to my mother?" The Prophet said, "Your mother." The companion insisted, "And then?" The Messenger of God said, "After your mother, your father."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Islam[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Hadith of Bukhari and Muslim[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]There are three partners in man, God, father, and mother. When a man honors his father and mother, God says, "I regard it as though I had dwelt among them and they had honored me."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Judaism[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Talmud, Kiddushin 30b[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Do not despise the breath of your fathers,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]But draw it into your body.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]That our roads may reach to where the life-giving road of our sun father comes out,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]That, clasping one another tight,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Holding one another fast,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]We may finish our roads together;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]That this may be, I add to your breath now.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]To this end:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]May my father bless you with life;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]May your road reach to Dawn Lake,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]May your road be fulfilled.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Native American[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Zuni Prayer[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Attend strictly to the commands of your parents and the instructions of your teachers. Serve your leader with diligence; be upright of heart; eschew falsehood; and be diligent in study; that you may conform to the wishes of the heavenly spirit.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Shinto[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Oracle of Temmangu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Son, why do you quarrel with your father,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Due to him you have grown to this age?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]It is a sin to argue with him.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Sikhism[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Adi Granth, Sarang, M.4, p. 1200[/FONT]
gofdivider.jpg

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: