• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News The Big Fat Sikh Wedding Is Banned (Times Online)

Sep 20, 2004
The big fat Indian wedding has been told to slim down. Leaders of Delhi’s Sikh community have called for an end to lavish wedding celebrations featuring meat and alcohol on the grounds that they encourage the dowry system and female foeticide.

More...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This newbie thinks the leaders of the Delhi Sikh community have it right. All discussion about financial and social costs are fundamental. But would someone, anyone, explain why there is alcohol at a Sikh wedding anyway? And if all can be part of the langar that follows as is typical, then a vegetarian meal would seem to be right in line. The leaders of any religion I am familiar with reserve the right to decide what the limits are for any ceremony. For example, a Roman Catholic priest told me recently that he refused to allow a wedding party to appear in the church wearing costumes based on the medieval history of England. His reason: A wedding isn't a costume party. Or am I missing something?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: