• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Teaching Our Young Ones

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
I want to share my feelings about this topic of teaching our young generation (5 - 20 years ) in this age of science where we see movies like matrix , what i think is there is need to teach our youngsters through this media . but i think there is problem at very bsaic level

a) we have objection about any mortal playing role of our guruji i want to ask is this also applies to other personalities baba deep singh ji, Puran singh and many more personalities like that?

b) we dont have good movie industry in Punjab but viewing rich and scientific NRI sikhs this should not be a problem ?

c) for young kids instead of sakhis from those old books with yellow pages it can be presented in nice colourful and new pattern and also we cartoon movies on Sikhism to teach our kids about our KHALSA along their Spiderman .

Majority of our Sikh community is living in Punjab and we are always expecting them to join khalsa and take religion seriously but the real problem is that

every year nearly 150 movies are released in India and not even the one among them is Punjabi . if ever bolly wood is interested in showing Punjabi culture for their profit they make fool of us (Sikhs) they make people feel that a normal Sikh is less than a average Indian or just a fool . our young generation is helpless in front of such a powerful media , obviously no want to be fool and what i think its our mistake that we have lacked behind so much in this field . And believe me if effort is done in this direction to promote sikh culture in movies it will single most fruit full effort.

I can very well remember that when SHAHEED BHAGAT SINGH hindi movie was released in punjab alot many of our College and university student were seen roaming in groups wearing turbans resembling in the movie in all major cities (namely Ludhiana patiala jallandhar) . that single movie was able to enough pride for their identity in youth that i cant match it with we usually do in gurudwara and internet

as for young kids i personally knew kids that rise early in the morning for watching their favourite cartoon on cartoon network even on Sundays but

if you expect them to rise early and recite JAPJI SAHIB then i think it would be bit unfair , what we can do is make some cartoon covering teaching of our guruji their lives and possibly japji sahib

Please dont misunderstand me i am not saying that the our traditional ways of preaching are wrong what i want to say is that need some urgent additions

like movies serials cartoons ., this will give our young generation a chance to embrace and understand our religon with pride and enthusiasm

I am looking forward to what you think about this

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
drkhalsa said:
a) we have objection about any mortal playing role of our guruji i want to ask is this also applies to other personalities baba deep singh ji, Puran singh and many more personalities like that?

b) we dont have good movie industry in Punjab but viewing rich and scientific NRI sikhs this should not be a problem ?

c) for young kids instead of sakhis from those old books with yellow pages it can be presented in nice colourful and new pattern and also we cartoon movies on Sikhism to teach our kids about our KHALSA along their Spiderman .
drkhalsa ji,

I understand that portraying any highest calibre personality including the ones you mentioned along with Gurus and BrahmGyanis is not acceptable by Panth, with well known reasons. Animation is certainly a great idea, and I have read in different forums that people are working on these ideas.
I did see a few people on sikhnet site, where they had such projects in their mind, and produced kids games also, where they cud learn abt the rich heritage sikhism possesses. Efforts are there, but perhaps not in tune with the fast pace cultural changes recently.

Best Regards.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Another thing drkhalsa ji, if we take things phase by phase, that brings consistent results. Instead of forcing and reciting etc, the kid can be calmly made to remember the pauris. And this really works. Major point I see, is to spend more time with kids and youngsters to understand their needs, and then finding a way out where parents can help them out in their needs. Such boost in their confidance is something which is very much needed, and to shape their thoughts by putting forward unbiased thoughts.

Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM