• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Support Sarika

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Facts about Sarika

SikhNet News Archive - Teen challenges school ban on Sikh bangle - 11/12/2007
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Her mother, Sanita Watkins-Singh, told the Western Mail, “Sarika made her first visit to India in 2005, looking at her cultural background and her roots. I don’t believe in putting pressure on children to follow a certain religion, but Sarika decided for herself that she wanted to be a practising Sikh.

“Her views have crystallised over the last six months, and she started wearing the Kara. At first it didn’t seem to be a problem, but then a PE teacher asked her to remove it.

“Later, after she refused to remove it in class, she was isolated from the rest of the girls. Then this week she was sent home.”

Sarika herself said, “We went to quite a lot of places during my visit to India, including the Golden Temple in Amritsar, which was just amazing. I became very interested in Sikh history and was inspired to follow the religion.

“The Kara is a very important Sikh symbol and a constant reminder to me to do good, and that God is One. I am very disappointed that my school does not recognise my right to wear the Kara. I did not like being put into isolation, which to me was like a prison. I feel my education was suffering.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This girl is really very brave on one hand majority of sikh youths don't even think for a second about discarding sikh religious symbols while she is fighting against her school and even risking her education On the other hand i have seen in some forums sikhs are criticisng Sarika blaming that she only wants publicity because she do not have uncut hair

SikHannah

SPNer
Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I'm signing!!

I think it's ridiculous that she was asked to remove her kara. What's the point of that?
I wore my kara through most of last year in my P.E. class, and my teacher never said anything about it. I think it's a small thing, seeing as a lot of the girls wear big bracelets and they'll cause a huge stink if the teacher asks them to take them off. I thought that they weren't allowed to tell you what religious symbols you were allowed or not allowed to wear. hmm

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: