• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib: Shalok That Precedes 9th Ashtapadee: My Understanding

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,
With the Grace of ‘The Sat’, today I share with you my understanding of the Shalok that precedes 9th Ashtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.
Please note that the English sentence after the Transliteration is not the exact literal translation of the text of the Tuk of Siri Guru Granth Sahib under reference, it is the meaning of the tuk as understood by me.

1. auir DwrY jo AMqir nwmu ] ur Dhaarai jo antar naam.
The person whose being is imbued with Naam (the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib),

My understanding:
As I understand Naam is not just a name or verbal sound; to me Naam is the sum total of all the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib. Naam, as just a word, cannot be imbued in the being of the person, but the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib can be the basis and the guide of the person and thus can be enshrined in the being of the person which is the Nirakaar part of the person. When this happens, according to my understanding, it means that Naam is enshrined in the person – the Gynandries (Senses) and the Karmendriyas (Organs of action) of the person will then act in accordance with the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.
2. srb mY pyKY Bgvwnu ] sarab mai paykhai bhagvaan.
Perceives ‘The Sat’ in each and every entity of the creation,

My understanding:
Guru Sahibs have told us very clearly that all is ‘One’. That is the theme of the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib. As an elaboration of this basic element of teaching Guru Sahib has asked us to get over our egos and shed our Ahamkara. If this is done ‘I , my and mine’ i.e. ‘I-ness’ gets dissolve and the entire creation becomes one. The individual sees ‘The Sat’ every where, in all entities of creation.
3. inmK inmK Twkur nmskwrY ] nimakh nimakh thaakur namaskaarai.
Each and every moment bows to ‘The Sat’.

My understanding:
In this Tuk Guru Sahib is referring to the way such spiritually evolved person functions. Guru Sahib says in a metaphoric way that the person bow to ‘The Sat’ every moment. As I understand Guru Sahib is not talking of bowing in physical world as we se day-in day-out. Guru Sahib is talking about bow in the spiritual world, where there is no Akaar, whom to bow and how to bow, there is no body. In spiritual world physical act have no meaning. Yet Guru Sahib has said that the person bows to ‘The Sat’ every moment. Yes such a person bows to ‘The Sat’ every moment. Bow in physical world is and expression of subordination. Bowing here means acting in accordance with the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib – the person has given up its ‘I-ness’ and soaked its being with the teaching of Siri Guru Granth Sahib, and thus this person has totally subordinated its self to ‘The Sat’. All actions of such a person are an expression of subordination to ‘The Sat’ through the teaching of Siri Guru Granth Sahib and thus it means bowing every moment. This is what I understand.
4. nwnk Ehu Aprsu sgl insqwrY ]1] naanak oh apras sagal nistaarai. ||1||
O Nanak, such person guides the other on spiritual path beyond the material world.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib tells himself and to us that such person helps other to evolve, understand the meaning of human form and life and thus become a guide in there endeavor to fulfill the mission of their life while living a full life in this material world.
With this I close the post.
With love and respect for all.
Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM