• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 9 Sabad 6 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੯ ਸਬਦ ੬

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ਜੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਰਬ ਮੈ ਪੇਖੈ ਭਗਵਾਨੁ
Ur ḏẖārai jo anṯar nām. Sarab mai pekẖai bẖagvān.
One who keeps self heart always aware of the creator. Sees the creator embedded in all.
ਨਿਮਖ ਨਿਮਖ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਨਮਸਕਾਰੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਓਹੁ ਅਪਰਸੁ ਸਗਲ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੈ ੧॥
Nimakẖ nimakẖ ṯẖākur namaskārai. Nānak oh apras sagal nisṯārai. ||1||
One thankful to the creator with every blinking moment. Such beyond reproach helps all to salvation.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn.

ਜਿਸ ਕੈ ਮਨਿ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕਾ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਤਿ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ
Jis kai man pārbarahm kā nivās. Ŧis kā nām saṯ Rāmḏās.
One whose mind the supreme creator resides. Such a person is know as humble servant of the creator.

ਆਤਮ ਰਾਮੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਦਰੀ ਆਇਆ ਦਾਸ ਦਸੰਤਣ ਭਾਇ ਤਿਨਿ ਪਾਇਆ
Āṯam rām ṯis naḏrī ā▫i▫ā. Ḏās ḏasanṯaṇ bẖā▫e ṯin pā▫i▫ā.
Such visualizes the creator present in all. With approach of being servant to the humble servants such discovers.

ਸਦਾ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਨੁ ਸੋ ਦਾਸੁ ਦਰਗਹ ਪਰਵਾਨੁ
Saḏā nikat nikat har jān. So ḏās ḏargėh parvān.
Always realizing the creator to be nearest than near. Such humble servant is accepted in creator’s court.

ਅਪੁਨੇ ਦਾਸ ਕਉ ਆਪਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਦਾਸ ਕਉ ਸਭ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਰੈ
Apune ḏās ka▫o āp kirpā karai. Ŧis ḏās ka▫o sabẖ sojẖī parai.
Blesses by self the own humble servant. Such humble servant realizes all.

ਸਗਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਆਤਮ ਉਦਾਸੁ ਐਸੀ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ੬॥
Sagal sang āṯam uḏās. Aisī jugaṯ Nānak Rāmḏās. ||6||
In company of all such feels sad in the soul. Nanak such are the ways to be a servant of the creator.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji define who to be beyond reproach. Constantly aware of the creator, sees creator embedded in all, thankful to the creator in every living moment, such is the guide to salvation.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 9, 6th stanza describe the qualities of a true subservient of the creator. Creator in mind, creator in all so discovered, creator on side and so accepted in the realm of the creator, such so blessed then so discovers.

Guru ji conclude that in such state of connectivity with the creator one feels lonely even in the company of many, being missive of the creator. Such is the true subservient of the creator.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Stunning! 0:)

I have learned so much wisdom from this.

If I keep my heart always aware of God the Creator and see my Creator as residing within the hearts of all, such an attitude to life helps all move towards salvation - it elevates humanity. The key to all of this is humility - a truly enlightened mind does not consider itself superior to any other people but humbly serves all. And God is closer to me than anything else or, to quote the Qur'an, "closer to a man than his jugular vein". And last but not least we must be thankful to our Creator with every living moment! Focus on the now - moment to moment. It is the present moment that we come face to face with the divine not tommorrow, not in a far away place, not in a monastery or at the summit of a mount but in the midst of the travails of this life.

Aug 28, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.

One who keeps self heart always aware of the creator. Sees the creator embedded in all.
One thankful to the creator with every blinking moment. Such beyond reproach helps all to salvation.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn.

One whose mind the supreme creator resides. Such a person is know as humble servant of the creator.

Such visualizes the creator present in all. With approach of being servant to the humble servants such discovers.

Always realizing the creator to be nearest than near. Such humble servant is accepted in creator’s court.

In company of all such feels sad in the soul. Nanak such are the ways to be a servant of the creator.

Sat Sri Akal.

Where is the question of being SAD forthe Soul.?
How about considering the meaning of the word UDASu..as desire for the vision.?

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn.

Sat Sri Akal.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Prakash.S.Bagga
Prakash S. Bagga ji can you or anyone else please help translate the following from above as there is a comment to its correct meaning,

The following is some help,

ਉਦਾਸੁ

[SIZE=-1]Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary[/SIZE] [SIZE=-0] ਨਿਰਲੇਪ, ਉਪਰਾਮ, ਨਿਰਮੋਹ, ਗ਼ਮਗੀਨ, ਮੋਹ ਮਾਇਆ ਤੋਂ ਖਲਾਸ। ਦੁਚਿੱਤਾ। ਉਦਾਹਰਣ: ਸਗਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਆਤਮ ਉਦਾਸੁ॥ {ਗਉ ੫, ਸੁਖ ੯, ੬:੯ (275)}। ਸੋ ਉਦਾਸੀ ਜਿ ਪਾਲੇ ਉਦਾਸੁ॥ {ਰਾਮ ੩, ਵਾਰ ੧੨ਸ, ੧, ੪:੧ (952)}। ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਮਨੁ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਘਰ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ਉਦਾਸੁ॥ {ਸਿਰੀ ੩, ੩੪, ੪:੨ (26)}। ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਹਉ ਭਇਆ ਉਦਾਸੁ। [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia[/SIZE] [SIZE=-0] ਦੇਖੋ, ਉਦਾਸ. [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
Mahan Kosh data provided by Bhai Baljinder Singh (RaraSahib Wale); See http://www.ik13.com[/SIZE]
Also the following,
ਸਗਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਆਤਮ ਉਦਾਸੁ

सगल संगि आतम उदासु ॥

Sagal sang āṯam uḏās.

Amidst all, his soul is unattached.

ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਆਦਮੀਆਂ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਵਰਤਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਉਹ ਆਪਣੇ ਦਿਲ ਵਿੱਚ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ ਵਿਚਰਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਆਤਮ ਉਦਾਸੁ = ਅੰਦਰੋਂ ਨਿਰਮੋਹ।
ਸਾਰੇ ਪਰਵਾਰ ਵਿਚ (ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਭੀ) ਉਹ ਅੰਦਰੋਂ ਨਿਰਮੋਹ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ
Praksah S. Bagga ji is the following more appropriate,

In company of all such feels unattached/lonely in the soul. Nanak such are the ways to be a servant of the creator.
Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 28, 2010
Prakash S. Bagga ji can you or anyone else please help translate the following from above as there is a comment to its correct meaning,

The following is some help,

Also the following,
Praksah S. Bagga ji is the following more appropriate,

Sat Sri Akal.

My understanding is that the phenomenon of bein UDAS is related when some beloved is not visible.So you can see for this aspect of understanding
I think being Nirmoh or lonely is more related to BAIRAG rather than UDAS.
Soul is never alone .Soul is always with SATi GuRu but when under the effects of so called Maya Soul is unable to visualise SatiGuRu so Soul is UDAS.
You can see now what is the best and more appropriate.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
My understanding is that the phenomenon of bein UDAS is related when some beloved is not visible.So you can see for this aspect of understanding
I think being Nirmoh or lonely is more related to BAIRAG rather than UDAS.
Soul is never alone .Soul is always with SATi GuRu but when under the effects of so called Maya Soul is unable to visualise SatiGuRu so Soul is UDAS.
You can see now what is the best and more appropriate.
Prakash.S.Bagga
Veer ji sorry you are not connecting to the essence of the line.

Guru ji simply are describing a negative logic statement saying (not translation), "Even when one is supposedly expected to be enthralled in the company of many, the true happiness of the soul is in the recognition of the soul's company with the creator, and the crowd one is with comes as distraction, hence the separation and sadness. It is like someone (crowd) interrupting your perfect moment of bliss as soul in perfect consonance with creation and in blissful state".

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Veer Ji Wonderful work as usual ,in my mind loneliness is a mood, but udaas is a mind -style,it is lionessness.
sp ji loneliness does not mean UDASu per se. Guru ji used common understanding of words as they addressed common people and not Ph.D., Doctors; Lawyers; etc. Udas is sadness from longing, defeat, etc.

Jab Bhi Yeh Dil Udas Hota Hai 1971 film Seema - Simi Grewal, Kabir Bedi, M Rafi, Sharda

Jab Bhi Yeh Dil Udas Hota Hai 1971 film Seema - Simi Garewal, Kabir Bedi, M Rafi, Sharda - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
There are numerous references:

ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਚੂਕੈ ਮੋਹ ਪਿਆਸ ॥
Meeting with the Guru, the Naam is obtained, and the thirst of emotional attachment departs.

ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਮਨੁ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਘਰ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ਉਦਾਸੁ ॥
When the mind is permeated with the Lord, one remains detached within the home of the heart.

ਜਿਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਸਾਦੁ ਆਇਆ ਹਉ ਤਿਨ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਜਾਸੁ ॥
I am a sacrifice to those who enjoy the Sublime Taste of the Lord.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਗੁਣਤਾਸੁ ॥੪॥੧॥੩੪॥
O Nanak, by His Glance of Grace, the True Name, the Treasure of Excellence, is obtained.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM