• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 5 Sabad 8 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੫ ਸਬਦ ੮

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਦੇਨਹਾਰੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਛੋਡਿ ਕੈ ਲਾਗਹਿ ਆਨ ਸੁਆਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਹੂ ਸੀਝਈ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਪਤਿ ਜਾਇ ੧॥
Ḏenhār parabẖ cẖẖod kai lāgėh ān su▫ā▫e. Nānak kahū na sījẖ▫ī bin nāvai paṯ jā▫e. ||1||
Leaving the creator that bestows, is busy in other selfishness. Nanak, such can never achieve success as without the creator there is no honor.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਕਰਉ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਅਪਨਾ ਕੀਆ ਆਪਹਿ ਮਾਨੈ
Kara▫o benṯī pārbarahm sabẖ jānai. Apnā kī▫ā āpėh mānai.
Prayer to the lord creator, who knows all. The one so created is also bestowed honor by such.

ਆਪਹਿ ਆਪ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਤ ਨਿਬੇਰਾ ਕਿਸੈ ਦੂਰਿ ਜਨਾਵਤ ਕਿਸੈ ਬੁਝਾਵਤ ਨੇਰਾ
Āpėh āp āp karaṯ niberā. Kisai ḏūr janāvaṯ kisai bujẖāvaṯ nerā.
Such by self adjudicates. Some perceive such to be far and some find out to be near.

ਉਪਾਵ ਸਿਆਨਪ ਸਗਲ ਤੇ ਰਹਤ ਸਭੁ ਕਛੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਆਤਮ ਕੀ ਰਹਤ
Upāv si▫ānap sagal ṯe rahaṯ. Sabẖ kacẖẖ jānai āṯam kī rahaṯ.
Resides away from all clever methods. Knows everything going on in the soul.

ਜਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਲਏ ਲੜਿ ਲਾਇ ਥਾਨ ਥਨੰਤਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ
Jis bẖāvai ṯis la▫e laṛ lā▫e. Thān thananṯar rahi▫ā samā▫e.
Those who are beloved, become so betrothed. Is pervading in all and in between.

ਸੋ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਜਿਸੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਨਿਮਖ ਨਿਮਖ ਜਪਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰੀ ੮॥੫॥
So sevak jis kirpā karī. Nimakẖ nimakẖ jap Nānak harī. ||8||5||
One so favored is humble servant. Nanak, moment to moment be aware of creator.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that ones busy collecting worldly goods should reflect. The accomplishments are incomplete without honor. The honor is there in association of one with the creator in all.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 5, 8th and final sabad/stanza describe that the creator is aware of all as so creates. It is only our perceptions that are unknown or varying as some consider creator to be far and others to be within and near. Such a creator cannot be cheated through clever methods as such is knowing of the soul.

Guru ji conclude that it is a great benevolence of creator to show association, show realization and only the so loved are so blessed.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: The following perhaps is of special further consideration.
ਉਪਾਵ ਸਿਆਨਪ ਸਗਲ ਤੇ ਰਹਤ ਸਭੁ ਕਛੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਆਤਮ ਕੀ ਰਹਤ
It states the invalidation of any worship, rituals, short cuts, trickery, etc. The creator’s connection is within our deep and never changing soul. So in a way the word “soul searching” is perhaps the best way to learn of the creator and move forward in living. Soul is the glue and the interface as well as our jyot or being-ness.

What you think!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
ਉਪਾਵ ਸਿਆਨਪ ਸਗਲ ਤੇ ਰਹਤ ॥ ਸਭੁ ਕਛੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਆਤਮ ਕੀ ਰਹਤ ॥

The only method is to understand, some understand by repeating, until understanding is second nature, they will have the understanding, but not the practical experience that comes with understanding through experience and action, some will have a combination, which I think is the best route, and some others like me, will have only the practical.

the first group, and the last group will make many mistakes before true understanding, there will be many trips going round in circles, many u turns, in my view the best group to be in is the middle group, action, practice, remember, understand,

However , personally speaking, I would rather go a million miles out of the way on my own path, than a metre on a path that I did not feel comfortable with, maybe that is Hukam

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Harry Haller veer ji the following is the key as per your post,

some understand by repeating, until understanding is second nature

All the merging and jyot thingy people talk about, it is nothing more than living as one inside (with your soul not just active/in-active mind) and out. When one does, one will more or less forget how one got there as it matters not at that point. As a matter of fact if one does not forget through living in consonance, one has not learnt.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ambarsaria Vadey Veerji,

I completely agree with you, this is not magic hocus pocus, a huge cloud of stars is not going to envelope you and give you the understanding, but I am beginning to see why meditation seems so popular, I view it like a doctor revising medical facts before graduating, on graduation, a doctor may have been able to get through the exams by understanding the way the human body works completely, through revision and repetition, so the understanding is clearly there, but till this doctor has got their hands dirty, the understanding will only be single and not multi faceted, until they can visualise what a cube looks like, they will always see a square,

however, better to do something than nothing..................provided it leads on to the ability to visualise a cube, and not say, paying someone to tell you the cube is in fact a square

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM