• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 5 Sabad 6 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੫ ਸਬਦ ੬

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਦੇਨਹਾਰੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਛੋਡਿ ਕੈ ਲਾਗਹਿ ਆਨ ਸੁਆਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਹੂ ਸੀਝਈ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਪਤਿ ਜਾਇ ੧॥
Ḏenhār parabẖ cẖẖod kai lāgėh ān su▫ā▫e. Nānak kahū na sījẖ▫ī bin nāvai paṯ jā▫e. ||1||
Leaving the creator that bestows, is busy in other selfishness. Nanak, such can never achieve success as without the creator there is no honor.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਬਿਰਥੀ ਸਾਕਤ ਕੀ ਆਰਜਾ ਸਾਚ ਬਿਨਾ ਕਹ ਹੋਵਤ ਸੂਚਾ
Birthī sākaṯ kī ārjā. Sācẖ binā kah hovaṯ sūcẖā.
Useless is the life separated from creator’s understanding. How can one become pure without the true creator

ਬਿਰਥਾ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਤਨੁ ਅੰਧ ਮੁਖਿ ਆਵਤ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਦੁਰਗੰਧ
Birthā nām binā ṯan anḏẖ. Mukẖ āvaṯ ṯā kai ḏurganḏẖ.
Without the creator, the body is in darkness. Bad smell emanates from such a mouth.

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਦਿਨੁ ਰੈਨਿ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਬਿਹਾਇ ਮੇਘ ਬਿਨਾ ਜਿਉ ਖੇਤੀ ਜਾਇ
Bin simran ḏin rain baritha bihā▫e. Megẖ binā ji▫o kẖeṯī jā▫e.
Without cognizance of the creator, day and night pass uselessly. Like the crops perish without the clouds.

ਗੋਬਿਦ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਨੁ ਬ੍ਰਿਥੇ ਸਭ ਕਾਮ ਜਿਉ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਕੇ ਨਿਰਾਰਥ ਦਾਮ
Gobiḏ bẖajan bin barithe sabẖ kām. Ji▫o kirpan ke nirārath ḏām.
Without listening and talking of the creator, all deeds are useless. Just like wealth of a miser comes of no use to such.

ਧੰਨਿ ਧੰਨਿ ਤੇ ਜਨ ਜਿਹ ਘਟਿ ਬਸਿਓ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਬਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਉ ੬॥
Ḏẖan ḏẖan ṯe jan jih gẖat basi▫o har nā▫o. Nānak ṯā kai bal bal jā▫o. ||6||
So hearts are so blessed that have creator’s understanding. Nanak, so extols such.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that ones busy collecting worldly goods should reflect. The accomplishments are incomplete without honor. The honor is there in association of one with the creator in all.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 5, 6th sabad describe the need to study, understand and contemplate upon the creator. Examples of not doing such in analogy is like crops dying without rain, wealth of a miser staying useless.

Guru ji state that great are ones with understanding of the creator within them.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Some how I am reminded of the example of Newton and apple. Now many people had seen apple falling from the trees. But at that very moment, the Universe revealed itself for Newton and he went on to describe universal gravitation. For me it is an example of Gurprasad.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: