• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 4 Sabad 4 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੪ ਸਬਦ ੪

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਨਿਰਗੁਨੀਆਰ ਇਆਨਿਆ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਦਾ ਸਮਾਲਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ਤਿਸੁ ਚੀਤਿ ਰਖੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਬਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ ੧॥
Nirgunī▫ār i▫āni▫ā so parabẖ saḏā samāl. Jin kī▫ā ṯis cẖīṯ rakẖ Nānak nibhī nāl. ||1||
The virtue-less and not knowing one, remember the creator always. Remember the one who created, Guru Nanak, as such will sustain throughout.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਰਤਨੁ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਕਉਡੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਚੈ ਸਾਚੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਝੂਠ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਚੈ
Raṯan ṯi▫āg ka▫udī sang racẖai. Sācẖ cẖẖod jẖūṯẖ sang macẖai.
Forgetting the gems one is engrossed with shells. Truth is abandoned and falsehood is adopted.

ਜੋ ਛਡਨਾ ਸੁ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨੈ ਜੋ ਹੋਵਨੁ ਸੋ ਦੂਰਿ ਪਰਾਨੈ
Jo cẖẖadnā so asthir kar mānai. Jo hovan so ḏūr parānai.
What will be left behind is considered permanent by such. What is to come is considered far away.

ਛੋਡਿ ਜਾਇ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਕਰੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਹਾਈ ਤਿਸੁ ਪਰਹਰੈ
Cẖẖod jā▫e ṯis kā saram karai. Sang sahā▫ī ṯis parharai.
All labor is spent on what will be left behind. The one who is with and protects, the creator is forgotten.

ਚੰਦਨ ਲੇਪੁ ਉਤਾਰੈ ਧੋਇ ਗਰਧਬ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਭਸਮ ਸੰਗਿ ਹੋਇ
Cẖanḏan lep uṯārai ḏẖo▫e. Garḏẖab parīṯ bẖasam sang ho▫e.
Sandalwood paste is washed off. A donkey loves the ashes.

ਅੰਧ ਕੂਪ ਮਹਿ ਪਤਿਤ ਬਿਕਰਾਲ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾਢਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਦਇਆਲ ੪॥
Anḏẖ kūp mėh paṯiṯ bikrāl. Nānak kādẖ leho parabẖ ḏa▫i▫āl. ||4||
Dark frightening well one has fallen into. Guru Nanak, please benevolent creator pull one out.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji describe ourselves as spoiled children of the creator. Guru ji say that instead one needs to always remember the creator that sustains in all phases of our lives.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 4, 4th describe that the choice reflecting poor judgment. Truthfulness versus lying, short-sighted versus far-sighted in actions, over concern of worldly goods versus the mind, ignoring the creator and like a donkey that prefers ash versus the precious sandalwood.

Guru ji state that it is like descending into the darkness of a well. May the creator help and rehabilitate such through grace.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ambarsariaji,

Your essences are always pretty spot on, I do not tend to contribute unless something really screams out at me, and even then my contribution is always personal to me, and not as a correction to yours.

If you feel yourself virtueless and not knowing , focus on the inner voice of the Creator, and replace these feelings with the truth
Focus on the truth instead of the distractions of the thieves, worship creator with the same vigour and devotion that you give to the thieves
What has always been, does not have to continue, draw a line in the sand, move on to something bigger and better which nourishes you, rather than drains you
Focus your mind on a fruitful future with your senses tuned to Creator, burn your crop of thieves, plant new seeds, pure seeds, you know where they are
Resist the temptation to act like Creation is in you, when you are only enslaving yourself further to thieves, the only way is to emulate the spirit of Creator
Have the courage to recognise your surroundings, what looks like paradise looking through the lens of a thief, is no more than a deep well that can only be escaped with the grace of Guruji

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
ਛੋਡਿ ਜਾਇ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਕਰੈ ॥ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਹਾਈ ਤਿਸੁ ਪਰਹਰੈ ॥
Cẖẖod jā▫e ṯis kā saram karai. Sang sahā▫ī ṯis parharai.
All labor is spent on what will be left behind. The one who is with and protects, the creator is forgotten.

True we are connection with what will be left behind and what will leave US behind. We are all putting in efforts in things which are perishing. And we are losing connection with something which will always be with us.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: