• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 3 Sabad 7 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੩ ਸਬਦ ੭

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.

Salok

ਬਹੁ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤੀ ਪੇਖੇ ਸਰਬ ਢਢੋਲਿ ਪੂਜਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਅਮੋਲ ੧॥
Baho sāsṯar baho simriṯī pekẖe sarab dẖadẖol. Pūjas nāhī har hare Nānak nām amol. ||1||

Many holy books and treatises have been researched. Guru Nanak, nothing comes close to the understanding of the creator or be so valued.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.

Eight stanzas hymn.

ਨਿਰਧਨ ਕਉ ਧਨੁ ਤੇਰੋ ਨਾਉ ਨਿਥਾਵੇ ਕਉ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਥਾਉ
Nirḏẖan ka▫o ḏẖan ṯero nā▫o. Nithāve ka▫o nā▫o ṯerā thā▫o.

For the poor, creator’s understanding is wealth. One without a place, creator’s understanding is the abode.

ਨਿਮਾਨੇ ਕਉ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੇਰੋ ਮਾਨੁ ਸਗਲ ਘਟਾ ਕਉ ਦੇਵਹੁ ਦਾਨੁ
Nimāne ka▫o parabẖ ṯero mān. Sagal gẖatā ka▫o ḏevhu ḏān.

To the forlorn, creator’s understanding is the honor. All are provided with creator’s blessings.

ਕਰਨ ਕਰਾਵਨਹਾਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸਗਲ ਘਟਾ ਕੇ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ
Karan karāvanhār su▫āmī. Sagal gẖatā ke anṯarjāmī.

The creator does and through the creator all is done. The creator is cognizant of all that resides in every heart.

ਅਪਨੀ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਜਾਨਹੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪਨ ਸੰਗਿ ਆਪਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਰਾਤੇ
Apnī gaṯ miṯ jānhu āpe. Āpan sang āp parabẖ rāṯe.

The creator knows the condition and the ways by self. The creator is imbued with own awareness.

ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਰੀ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਤੁਮ ਤੇ ਹੋਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਵਰੁ ਜਾਨਸਿ ਕੋਇ ੭॥
Ŧumĥrī usṯaṯ ṯum ṯe ho▫e. Nānak avar na jānas ko▫e. ||7||

Only such can describe own qualities. Guru Nanak, no one else knows.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji sets the objective of discourse in Astpadi 3. In searching the available religious wisdom, following their recommendations, Guru ji state that nothing comes close to the seeking of creator’s understanding which is invaluable.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 3rd, 7th sabad describe the expanse of creator’s benevolence and the efficacy of understanding the creator. Understanding of the creator is wealth for the poor, support and shelter for the forlorn. Creator’s blessings are not restricted but are for all. Creation of the creator proceeds as only totally known to the creator and such is the executor of goings on.

Such creator’s ways and virtues no one can fully describe and are only known to the creator.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected. It goes without saying I want spn members to correct, guide or otherwise advise me to be better or remove any errors. Such is always much appreciated.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM