• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 3 Sabad 6 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੩ ਸਬਦ ੬

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.

Salok

ਬਹੁ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤੀ ਪੇਖੇ ਸਰਬ ਢਢੋਲਿ ਪੂਜਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਅਮੋਲ ੧॥
Baho sāsṯar baho simriṯī pekẖe sarab dẖadẖol. Pūjas nāhī har hare Nānak nām amol. ||1||

Many holy books and treatises have been researched. Guru Nanak, nothing comes close to the understanding of the creator or be so valued.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.

Eight stanzas hymn.

ਸਗਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਮਹਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਮਿਟੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ
Sagal purakẖ mėh purakẖ parḏẖān. Sāḏẖsang jā kā mitai abẖimān.

Amongst all the people one such person is supreme. Who in the company of the pious erases the ego.

ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਜੋ ਜਾਣੈ ਨੀਚਾ ਸੋਊ ਗਨੀਐ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ
Āpas ka▫o jo jāṇai nīcẖā. So▫ū ganī▫ai sabẖ ṯe ūcẖā.

One who believes one to be the lowest. One should hold such in highest esteem.

ਜਾ ਕਾ ਮਨੁ ਹੋਇ ਸਗਲ ਕੀ ਰੀਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਤਿਨਿ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਚੀਨਾ
Jā kā man ho▫e sagal kī rīnā. Har har nām ṯin gẖat gẖat cẖīnā.

One whose recognizes one’s mind to be like dust at the feet of all. Such has seen the creator’s essence in all the people.

ਮਨ ਅਪੁਨੇ ਤੇ ਬੁਰਾ ਮਿਟਾਨਾ ਪੇਖੈ ਸਗਲ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਾਜਨਾ
Man apune ṯe burā mitānā. Pekẖai sagal sarisat sājnā.

One who has erased ill will in the mind. Sees all the creation as friendly.

ਸੂਖ ਦੂਖ ਜਨ ਸਮ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟੇਤਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਾਪ ਪੁੰਨ ਨਹੀ ਲੇਪਾ ੬॥
Sūkẖ ḏūkẖ jan sam ḏaristeṯā. Nānak pāp punn nahī lepā. ||6||

One who sees comfort and misery as one. Guru Nanak, good or bad do not affect such.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji sets the objective of discourse in Astpadi 3. In searching the available religious wisdom, following there recommendations, Guru ji state that nothing comes close to the seeking of creator’s understanding.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 3rd, 6th sabad review the internal state of balance and humility. One in control of ego gets honor, one considering self low in humility defines higher cherished values. Great people see creator’s essence in all, advance friendship to all and feel comfort and pain as a natural duality.

Such find a balanced and esteemed way of living.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Another theme we see here is that we are reading a lot of religious literature, Pekhe (ਪੇਖੇ ) is not like deep reading, but surface like. And we are still not doing one good thing told in any of the literature. Sikhs today are doing too many Paaths in one day, so many Sehaj Paaths and all too. It is important that we implement what we have read before we start reading something new.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Another theme we see here is that we are reading a lot of religious literature, Pekhe (ਪੇਖੇ ) is not like deep reading, but surface like. And we are still not doing one good thing told in any of the literature. Sikhs today are doing too many Paaths in one day, so many Sehaj Paaths and all too. It is important that we implement what we have read before we start reading something new.
Veer Kanwaljit Singh ji thanks for your comments. Let us review the background thoughts for the above.

When I read I put myself in the mindset of the writer. So put yourself in the shoes of Guru ji when we very well know we can't but to get to the essence of the SGGS it is something that at least gets me closer to what they wrote. So read it as a of content of their mind, their heart and their understanding on what they have experienced and are expressing.

ਬਹੁ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬਹੁ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤੀ ਪੇਖੇ ਸਰਬ ਢਢੋਲਿ

बहु सासत्र बहु सिम्रिती पेखे सरब ढढोलि ॥

Baho sāsṯar baho simriṯī pekẖe sarab dẖadẖol.

The many Shaastras and the many Simritees – I have seen and searched through them all.

ਬੜੇ ਸ਼ਾਸਤਰ ਅਤੇ ਘਣੀਆਂ ਹੀ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਤੀਆਂ ਮੈਂ ਵੇਖੀਆਂ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਦੀ ਖੋਜ ਭਾਲ ਕੀਤੀ ਹੈ।

ਪੇਖੇ = ਵੇਖੇ ਹਨ। ਸਰਬ = ਸਾਰੇ। ਢਢੋਲਿ = ਢੂੰਡ ਕੇ, ਖੋਜ ਕੇ।

ਬਹੁਤ ਸ਼ਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਤੇ ਬਹੁ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੀਆਂ, ਸਾਰੇ (ਅਸਾਂ) ਖੋਜ ਕੇ ਵੇਖੇ ਹਨ; (ਇਹ ਪੁਸਤਕ ਕਈ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੀ ਗਿਆਨ-ਚਰਚਾ ਤੇ ਕਈ ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਤੇ ਭਾਈਚਾਰਕ ਰਸਮਾਂ ਸਿਖਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ)

Many holy books and treatises have been researched.

ਪੂਜਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਅਮੋਲ ੧॥

पूजसि नाही हरि हरे नानक नाम अमोल ॥१॥

Pūjas nāhī har hare Nānak nām amol. ||1||

They are not equal to Har, Haray – O Nanak, the Lord’s Invaluable Name. ||1||

ਨਾਨਕ, ਉਹ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਦੇ ਅਮੋਲਕ ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਬਰਾਬਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੁਜਦੇ।

ਪੂਜਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ = ਨਹੀਂ ਅੱਪੜਦੇ, ਬਰਾਬਰੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ। ਅਮੋਲ = ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਮੁੱਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ। ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ = {ਸੰ. शास्त्र} ੧. ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਪੁਸਤਕ। ੨. ਪਦਾਰਥ ਵਿੱਦਿਆ ਦੇ ਪੁਸਤਕ। ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ = ਹਿੰਦੂ ਕੌਮ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਤੇ ਭਾਈਚਾਰਕ ਕਾਨੂੰਨ ਦੀਆਂ ਪੁਸਤਕਾਂ ਜੋ ਮਨੂ ਆਦਿਕ ਆਗੂਆਂ ਨੇ ਲਿਖੀਆਂ ॥੧॥

(ਪਰ ਇਹ) ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਬਰਾਬਰੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੇ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ) ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਮੁੱਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ ॥੧॥

Nanak, nothing comes close to the understanding of the creator.
I want to see your thoughts before I write any further if it is significant or not.

Sat Sri Akal. mundahug

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hmm I am not very sure about this part 'ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਬਰਾਬਰੀ ਨਹੀਂ' as I don't know if Guru sahib is comparing literature or the people who read the literature. E.g. ਪੂਜਸਿ is a characterstic of the reader/person or the literature?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Hmm I am not very sure about this part 'ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਬਰਾਬਰੀ ਨਹੀਂ' as I don't know if Guru sahib is comparing literature or the people who read the literature. E.g. ਪੂਜਸਿ is a characterstic of the reader/person or the literature?
Veer Kanwaljit SIngh ji thanks for your comment. I share the following,

ਪੂਜਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ; cannot be compared with; is not equal to
ਹਰਿ ; Creator
ਹਰੇ ; contemplation
ਨਾਨਕ
ਨਾਮ ਅਮੋਲ
੧॥ _understanding (creator); esteemed; one that is so precious that price cannot be placed on such

Let us see if it lines up with,

Perhaps you can suggest better English as I do think it is possible to improve.

This is the process I go through in each word, sentence and essence of Gurbani translation.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
The problem here is how we translate the second line:

ਪੂਜਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਅਮੋਲ ੧॥

No literature comes close to understanding of Creator.

OR

No act of reading comes close to understanding of Creator.
Veer Kanwaljit Singh ji you are missing the following otherwise getting closer,

ਹਰੇ ; contemplation: The act of gaining understanding

"Reading" is not the right word for "contemplation"!

Edit: 20111228, Veer Kanwaljit Singh ji I noticed in our discourse, I missed a word that I have corrected in the sloak at the top of the thread as,

ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok
Baho sāsṯar baho simriṯī pekẖe sarab dẖadẖol. Pūjas nāhī har hare Nānak nām amol. ||1||
Many holy books and treatises have been researched. Guru Nanak, nothing comes close to the understanding of the creator or be so valued.
I thank you for the time to discuss this today in the above posts. Please keep an eye out on me.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM