• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 23 Sabad 8/ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨੩ ਸਬਦ ੮

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਗਿਆਨਅੰਜਨੁਗੁਰਿਦੀਆਅਗਿਆਨਅੰਧੇਰਬਿਨਾਸੁ ਹਰਿਕਿਰਪਾਤੇਸੰਤਭੇਟਿਆਨਾਨਕਮਨਿਪਰਗਾਸੁ
Gi▫ān anjan gur ḏī▫ā agi▫ān anḏẖer binās. Har kirpā ṯe sanṯ bẖeti▫ā Nānak man pargās. ||1||
Creator gave the clarity powder of understanding, darkness of ignorance so destroyed. With creator’s blessing, met the pious learned and so enlightened the mind.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਜੋਜਾਨੈਤਿਸੁਸਦਾਸੁਖੁਹੋਇ ਆਪਿਮਿਲਾਇਲਏਪ੍ਰਭੁਸੋਇ
Jo jānai ṯis saḏā sukẖ ho▫e. Āp milā▫e la▫e parabẖ so▫e.
One that understands so, stays forever in comfort. Creator so enjoins such by self.

ਓਹੁਧਨਵੰਤੁਕੁਲਵੰਤੁਪਤਿਵੰਤੁ ਜੀਵਨਮੁਕਤਿਜਿਸੁਰਿਦੈਭਗਵੰਤੁ
Oh ḏẖanvanṯ kulvanṯ paṯivanṯ. Jīvan mukaṯ jis riḏai bẖagvanṯ.
Such is wealthy, of nobility, of honor. Life salvaged whose heart embodies the creator.

ਧੰਨੁਧੰਨੁਧੰਨੁਜਨੁਆਇਆ ਜਿਸੁਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿਸਭੁਜਗਤੁਤਰਾਇਆ
Ḏẖan ḏẖan ḏẖan jan ā▫i▫ā. Jis parsāḏ sabẖ jagaṯ ṯarā▫i▫ā.
Felicitations, felicitations, felicitations to the humble so born. With blessing of which, all world is saved.

ਜਨਆਵਨਕਾਇਹੈਸੁਆਉ ਜਨਕੈਸੰਗਿਚਿਤਿਆਵੈਨਾਉ
Jan āvan kā ihai su▫ā▫o. Jan kai sang cẖiṯ āvai nā▫o.
Sole purpose of such humble, so born. In company of such humble the heart remembers of the creator.

ਆਪਿਮੁਕਤੁਮੁਕਤੁਕਰੈਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਨਾਨਕਤਿਸੁਜਨਕਉਸਦਾਨਮਸਕਾਰੁ੮॥੨੩॥
Āp mukaṯ mukaṯ karai sansār. Nānak ṯis jan ka▫o saḏā namaskār. ||8||23||
Self free and so frees the world. Nanak, salute to such humble one forever.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji recognize that inner darkness is wiped with understanding. Such understanding is greatly facilitated through blessing of pious company.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 23, 8th and final sabad in this Astpadi praise the virtuous of humble disposition. Such stays in comfort through understanding, creator appears so enjoined, one of true wealth, nobility and honor. Birth of such a joyous moment, as they find salvation and help others. With creator embodied in their heart others in company so benefit too in remembering the creator.

Guru ji conclude many a salute to such one, who frees self and helps others to set free.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM