• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 23 Sabad 2 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨੩ ਸਬਦ ੨

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਗਿਆਨ ਅੰਜਨੁ ਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਅਗਿਆਨ ਅੰਧੇਰ ਬਿਨਾਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਸੰਤ ਭੇਟਿਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ
Gi▫ān anjan gur ḏī▫ā agi▫ān anḏẖer binās. Har kirpā ṯe sanṯ bẖeti▫ā Nānak man pargās. ||1||
Creator gave the clarity powder of understanding, darkness of ignorance so destroyed. With creator’s blessing, met the pious learned and so enlightened the mind.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਅਨੰਤ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਬਿਆਪਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਗਵੰਤ
So anṯar so bāhar ananṯ. Gẖat gẖat bi▫āp rahi▫ā bẖagvanṯ.
Such inside and outside infinite. Honorable master present in each and every body.

ਧਰਨਿ ਮਾਹਿ ਆਕਾਸ ਪਇਆਲ ਸਰਬ ਲੋਕ ਪੂਰਨ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ
Ḏẖaran māhi ākās pa▫i▫āl. Sarab lok pūran parṯipāl.
In earth, the sky and deep down. In all constellations, the complete provider.

ਬਨਿ ਤਿਨਿ ਪਰਬਤਿ ਹੈ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਜੈਸੀ ਆਗਿਆ ਤੈਸਾ ਕਰਮੁ
Ban ṯin parbaṯ hai pārbarahm. Jaisī āgi▫ā ṯaisā karam.
In the forest, grasses, mountains is the supreme creator. As approved, so gets done.

ਪਉਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਬੈਸੰਤਰ ਮਾਹਿ ਚਾਰਿ ਕੁੰਟ ਦਹ ਦਿਸੇ ਸਮਾਹਿ
Pa▫uṇ pāṇī baisanṯar māhi. Cẖār kunt ḏah ḏise samāhi.
In the wind, water and fire. Appears embedded in all four corners and ten directions.

ਤਿਸ ਤੇ ਭਿੰਨ ਨਹੀ ਕੋ ਠਾਉ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਉ ੨॥
Ŧis ṯe bẖinn nahī ko ṯẖā▫o. Gur parsāḏ Nānak sukẖ pā▫o. ||2||
Nowhere without presence of so. Nanak, with blessing of the creator one finds comfort.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji recognize that inner darkness is wiped with understanding. Such understanding is greatly facilitated through blessing of pious company.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 23, 2nd sabad describe the expanse of the creator. Infinite one inside and outside; everywhere and the provider be it the earth, the sky, deep down or the constellations; present in all be it the forest, grasses, mountains, wind, water or fire; as approved gets done and the creator in all visible whichever way to be looked.

Guru ji conclude that there is nowhere without the creator and in the blessing of the creator is comfort.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM