• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 21 Sabad 7 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨੧ ਸਬਦ ੭

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਸਰਗੁਨ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧੀ ਆਪਿ ਆਪਨ ਕੀਆ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਫਿਰਿ ਜਾਪਿ
Sargun nirgun nirankār sunn samāḏẖī āp. Āpan kī▫ā nānkā āpe hī fir jāp. ||1||
By self the formless one is with worldly entanglements, without such and by self in voided contemplation. Nanak, so self created and such so seeks understanding.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਜਹ ਆਪਿ ਰਚਿਓ ਪਰਪੰਚੁ ਅਕਾਰੁ ਤਿਹੁ ਗੁਣ ਮਹਿ ਕੀਨੋ ਬਿਸਥਾਰੁ
Jah āp racẖi▫o parpancẖ akār. Ŧihu guṇ mėh kīno bisthār.
When by self created the visible world. Spread out the three entanglements of worldly possession.

ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਤਹ ਭਈ ਕਹਾਵਤ ਕੋਊ ਨਰਕ ਕੋਊ ਸੁਰਗ ਬੰਛਾਵਤ
Pāp punn ṯah bẖa▫ī kahāvaṯ. Ko▫ū narak ko▫ū surag bancẖẖāvaṯ.
Then started the talk of bad and good. Some to hell and some wish for heaven.

ਆਲ ਜਾਲ ਮਾਇਆ ਜੰਜਾਲ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੋਹ ਭਰਮ ਭੈ ਭਾਰ
Āl jāl mā▫i▫ā janjāl. Ha▫umai moh bẖaram bẖai bẖār.
Matters of home, entanglements of worldly possessions. Weight of ego, attachment, doubt and fear.

ਦੂਖ ਸੂਖ ਮਾਨ ਅਪਮਾਨ ਅਨਿਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਕੀਓ ਬਖ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਨ
Ḏūkẖ sūkẖ mān apmān. Anik parkār kī▫o bakẖ▫yān.
Comfort, pain, honor and dishonor. Many types of such so started to be described.

ਆਪਨ ਖੇਲੁ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਖੇਲੁ ਸੰਕੋਚੈ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੈ ੭॥
Āpan kẖel āp kar ḏekẖai. Kẖel sankocẖai ṯa▫o Nānak ekai. ||7||
Created play by self and beholds such so carried out by self. Nanak, when play ends then all becomes one.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state describe the duality of the creator with worldly and without worldly interactions. One that has created all but still seeks the understanding.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 21, 7th sabad describe the artifacts of worldly creation. The visible world comes to be with entanglements of worldly possessions, talk of good, bad, heaven, hell starts; the family and ego, attachment, doubt, fear get created; comfort, pain, honor and dishonor become part.

Guru ji conclude that such a play made by the creator and executed by the creator so continues till we become part of the one at the end.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Kanwaljit Singh ji thanks for your post.
ਖੇਲੁ ਸੰਕੋਚੈ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੈ ੭॥

I am not sure about it, but Sankoch is also used for contemplating?

(The mahan kosh is calling it a wrap up or end of play only!)

If you Click on ਸੰਕੋਚੈ you get the following as initial guidance to dig further into,

SGGS Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary
ਇਕੱਠਾ ਕਰਦਾ, ਸਮੇਟਦਾ, ਸਮੇਟ ਲੈਂਦਾ। ਉਦਾਹਰਣ: ਖੇਲੁ ਸੰਕੋਚੈ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੈ॥ {ਗਉ ੫, ਸੁਖ ੨੧, ੭:੧੦ (292)}

SGGS Gurmukhi-English Dictionary

v (from Sk. Samkoca) to fold up, to contract, to gather

SGGS Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.
Sat Sri Akal.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I think 'Sankoch' is similar to 'squeezing' out , like the pure juice of an orange comes out when it is all squeezed.
In similar manner it is like contemplating such that the pureness of the creator is a quality within, that can come if we try with everything we have.

Waheguru

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks for your posts Luckysingh ji and Kanwaljit Singh ji.
I think it is, as the last line 'ekai' can also point to 'ek onkar' and not just the number one.
Let us more liberally review the final line,

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਆਪਨ
ਆਪਨ ਖੇਲੁ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਖੇਲੁ ਸੰਕੋਚੈ ਤਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੈ ੭॥
Āpan kẖel āp kar ḏekẖai. Kẖel sankocẖai ṯa▫o Nānak ekai. ||7||
Created play by self and beholds such so carried out by self. Nanak, when play ends then all becomes one.
ESSENCE: We are all part of the play per the creator. Each one of us return back (after death) into the oneness that is common for all. Out will come a new form only to play, be and then recycle back into the one indistinct that we all become. The never ending and continuing. However, this end state is not a unique state in itself but part of the continuing never ending transformation. So it will be inappropriate to call it a state we merge into while calling a state where we are different as beings to be pending merging. There is no border defining the Jyot and Super Jyot merging that is very commonly referred. We are always merged and un-merged at the same time.

Just some more liberal viewing of the message and I stand corrected and ready to learn.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM