• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 20 Sabad 8 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨੦ ਸਬਦ ੮

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਫਿਰਤ ਫਿਰਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਇਆ ਪਰਿਆ ਤਉ ਸਰਨਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਅਪਨੀ ਭਗਤੀ ਲਾਇ ੧॥
Firaṯ firaṯ parabẖ ā▫i▫ā pari▫ā ṯa▫o sarnā▫e. Nānak kī parabẖ benṯī apnī bẖagṯī lā▫e. ||1||
Creator, (I) came from wandering and wandering, at your shelter so arrived. Nanak prays, to the creator, attach to contemplation of yourself.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਸਰਬ ਬੈਕੁੰਠ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਮੋਖ ਪਾਏ ਏਕ ਨਿਮਖ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਏ
Sarab baikunṯẖ mukaṯ mokẖ pā▫e. Ėk nimakẖ har ke gun gā▫e.
All heaven, freedom and salvation have been received. One spending one blink of an eye in singing virtues of the creator.

ਅਨਿਕ ਰਾਜ ਭੋਗ ਬਡਿਆਈ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਕਥਾ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਈ
Anik rāj bẖog badi▫ā▫ī. Har ke nām kī kathā man bẖā▫ī.
Innumerable Kingly articles and honors. Such mind that likes discourse of creator’s understanding.

ਬਹੁ ਭੋਜਨ ਕਾਪਰ ਸੰਗੀਤ ਰਸਨਾ ਜਪਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨੀਤ
Baho bẖojan kāpar sangīṯ. Rasnā japṯī har har nīṯ.
Many varieties of meals, clothes and music renditions. Tongue that so speaks understanding of the creator and so creator everyday.

ਭਲੀ ਸੁ ਕਰਨੀ ਸੋਭਾ ਧਨਵੰਤ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਬਸੇ ਪੂਰਨ ਗੁਰ ਮੰਤ
Bẖalī so karnī sobẖā ḏẖanvanṯ. Hirḏai base pūran gur manṯ.
Character of such is high, is honored and is so wealthy. Dwells in the heart the complete creator’s teachings.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਦੇਹੁ ਨਿਵਾਸ ਸਰਬ ਸੂਖ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਰਗਾਸ ੮॥੨੦॥
Sāḏẖsang parabẖ ḏeh nivās. Sarab sūkẖ Nānak pargās. ||8||20||
Creator, give domicile in the company of the pious. All comforts will so shine on Nanak.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that wandering all over I come under creator’s cover. There is just one request that the creator may link me to contemplation of the creator.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 20, 8th and final sabad in this Astpadi describe the value of true focus, contemplation and understanding of the creator. Even a tiny bit, blink of an eye is disproportionately rewarding. As though heaven in heaven, Kingly living, all the best of what sustains living. Beyond all this the character improves and spiritual wealth is found.

Guru ji conclude and request that he be given domicile with the pious as this is a reflection of creator’s shining light of comfort.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM