• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 20 Sabad 3 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨੦ ਸਬਦ ੩

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਫਿਰਤ ਫਿਰਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਇਆ ਪਰਿਆ ਤਉ ਸਰਨਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਅਪਨੀ ਭਗਤੀ ਲਾਇ ੧॥
Firaṯ firaṯ parabẖ ā▫i▫ā pari▫ā ṯa▫o sarnā▫e. Nānak kī parabẖ benṯī apnī bẖagṯī lā▫e. ||1||
Creator, (I) came from wandering and wandering, at your shelter so arrived. Nanak prays, to the creator, attach to contemplation of yourself.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਸੇਵਕ ਕੀ ਮਨਸਾ ਪੂਰੀ ਭਈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਮਤਿ ਲਈ
Sevak kī mansā pūrī bẖa▫ī. Saṯgur ṯe nirmal maṯ la▫ī.
Humble servant’s wish came true. Received pure wisdom from the esteemed teacher.

ਜਨ ਕਉ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੋਇਓ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਕੀਨੋ ਸਦਾ ਨਿਹਾਲੁ
Jan ka▫o parabẖ ho▫i▫o ḏa▫i▫āl. Sevak kīno saḏā nihāl.
Those humble that the creator got blissful towards. So humble servants kept always enthralled.

ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਜਨੁ ਭਇਆ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਦੂਖੁ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਗਇਆ
Banḏẖan kāt mukaṯ jan bẖa▫i▫ā. Janam maran ḏūkẖ bẖaram ga▫i▫ā.
Cutting the restraints the humble got freed. Birth, death, pain and misconceptions are gone.

ਇਛ ਪੁਨੀ ਸਰਧਾ ਸਭ ਪੂਰੀ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਦ ਸੰਗਿ ਹਜੂਰੀ
Icẖẖ punī sarḏẖā sabẖ pūrī. Rav rahi▫ā saḏ sang hajūrī.
Wish and loving devotion is achieved. Finds so everywhere with and within all the time.

ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਸਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਲੀਆ ਮਿਲਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤੀ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ੩॥
Jis kā sā ṯin lī▫ā milā▫e. Nānak bẖagṯī nām samā▫e. ||3||
One that belonged to, such so became enjoined. Nanak, the contemplator stays tuned to understanding.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that wandering all over I come under creator’s cover. There is just one request that the creator may link me to contemplation of the creator.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 20, 3rd sabad describe a humble servant’s wish of the creator and the results of such a wish being granted. The thinking is purified, creator’s bliss provides enthrallment, misconceptions and attachments to birth and death dissipate, the creator is realized within and all around.

Guru ji conclude that such a close relationship leads to absorption and enjoining through understanding.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: