• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 20 Sabad 2 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨੦ ਸਬਦ ੨

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਫਿਰਤ ਫਿਰਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਇਆ ਪਰਿਆ ਤਉ ਸਰਨਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਅਪਨੀ ਭਗਤੀ ਲਾਇ ੧॥
Firaṯ firaṯ parabẖ ā▫i▫ā pari▫ā ṯa▫o sarnā▫e. Nānak kī parabẖ benṯī apnī bẖagṯī lā▫e. ||1||
Creator, (I) came from wandering and wandering, at your shelter so arrived. Nanak prays, to the creator, attach to contemplation of yourself.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਮਹਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਬਿਰਲਾ ਕੋਇ
Parabẖ kī ḏarisat mahā sukẖ ho▫e. Har ras pāvai birlā ko▫e.
In creator’s glance great comfort comes. Essence of creator is tasted by very scarily by some.

ਜਿਨ ਚਾਖਿਆ ਸੇ ਜਨ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਨੇ ਪੂਰਨ ਪੁਰਖ ਨਹੀ ਡੋਲਾਨੇ
Jin cẖākẖi▫ā se jan ṯaripṯāne. Pūran purakẖ nahī dolāne.
Such people who tasted are fully satisfied. Such became complete person, not tempted.

ਸੁਭਰ ਭਰੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਰਸ ਰੰਗਿ ਉਪਜੈ ਚਾਉ ਸਾਧ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ
Subẖar bẖare parem ras rang. Upjai cẖā▫o sāḏẖ kai sang.
So brimming full with taste of such love. Good desires so rise in the company of the pious.

ਪਰੇ ਸਰਨਿ ਆਨ ਸਭ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗਿ
Pare saran ān sabẖ ṯi▫āg. Anṯar pargās an▫ḏin liv lāg.
Renouncing all fall to the shelter. Enlightened inside everyday attached in devotion.

ਬਡਭਾਗੀ ਜਪਿਆ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ੨॥
Badbẖāgī japi▫ā parabẖ so▫e. Nānak nām raṯe sukẖ ho▫e. ||2||
So the fortunate that seek understanding of the creator. Nanak, comfort is from being imbued with understanding.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that wandering all over I come under creator’s cover. There is just one request that the creator may link me to contemplation of the creator.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 20, 2nd sabad describe the contented, enlightened, brimming with joy state achieved in the understanding of the creator. A state achieved through seeking the understanding, company of the pious, being humbly in the company of the creator while attaching to little else.

Guru ji conclude the fortunate one’s seek understanding and once so imbued find peaceful comfort.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM