• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 2 Sabad 3 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੨ ਸਬਦ ੩

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ

Salok

ਦੀਨ ਦਰਦ ਦੁਖ ਭੰਜਨਾ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਨਾਥ ਅਨਾਥ ਸਰਣਿ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੀ ਆਇਓ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਾਥ ੧॥

Ḏīn ḏaraḏ ḏukẖ bẖanjnā gẖat gẖat nāth anāth. Saraṇ ṯumĥārī ā▫i▫o Nānak ke parabẖ sāth. ||1||

The saviour from misery and hurt of the poor, the helper of the forlorn. I am at your door creator, holding the coattails of Guru Nanak.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ

Eight stanzas hymn.

ਛੂਟਤ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਟਿ ਲਖ ਬਾਹੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਤਹ ਪਾਰਿ ਪਰਾਹੀ

Cẖẖūtaṯ nahī kot lakẖ bāhī. Nām japaṯ ṯah pār parāhī.

Hundreds of thousands or millions of helping hands cannot sustain. With creator’s understanding one traverses the path.

ਅਨਿਕ ਬਿਘਨ ਜਹ ਆਇ ਸੰਘਾਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਤਤਕਾਲ ਉਧਾਰੈ

Anik bigẖan jah ā▫e sangẖārai. Har kā nām ṯaṯkāl uḏẖārai.

Where many obstacles come by and hurt. Creator’s understanding quickly saves.

ਅਨਿਕ ਜੋਨਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਪਾਵੈ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ

Anik jon janmai mar jām. Nām japaṯ pāvai bisrām.

Many a transformations of alive and dead happen. With creator’s understanding one becomes oblivious to such.

ਹਉ ਮੈਲਾ ਮਲੁ ਕਬਹੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਾਪ ਖੋਵੈ

Ha▫o mailā mal kabahu na ḏẖovai. Har kā nām kot pāp kẖovai.

The dirt of ego cannot be rubbed and washed away. Creator’s understanding helps remove millions of bad deeds.

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹੁ ਮਨ ਰੰਗਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਾਧ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ੩॥

Aisā nām japahu man rang. Nānak pā▫ī▫ai sāḏẖ kai sang. ||3||

Seek such an understanding of the creator with happiness. Guru Nanak so finds such in the company of the pious.

ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji sets the objective of discourse in Astpadi 2. In understanding of the creator solutions are found for the forsaken, deserted, in misery and in sickness. Guru ji humbly submit to the aware company of the creator.

Guru Arjan Dev ji state in Astpadi 2nd, 3rd sabad the worldly approaches to issues versus gaining understanding of the creator. Including putting manpower to work, issues of obstacles to doing good, trapping of birth and death cycle and the issues of ego.

Guru ji state, that understanding of the creator and remembering so in such situations provides the catalyst to management of the issues and finding solutions.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM