• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 17 Sabad 4 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧੭ ਸਬਦ ੪

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਹੈ ਭਿ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭਿ ਸਚੁ ੧॥
Āḏ sacẖ jugāḏ sacẖ. Hai bẖė sacẖ Nānak hosī bẖė sacẖ. ||1||
Present from the beginning, prevailing through the ages. Nanak, is present now and forever will be present.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਅਪੁਨੇ ਜਨ ਕਾ ਪਰਦਾ ਢਾਕੈ ਅਪਨੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਕੀ ਸਰਪਰ ਰਾਖੈ
Apune jan kā parḏā dẖākai. Apne sevak kī sarpar rākẖai.
Covers faults of own people. Saves the honor of own humble servant.

ਅਪਨੇ ਦਾਸ ਕਉ ਦੇਇ ਵਡਾਈ ਅਪਨੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਕਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਈ
Apne ḏās ka▫o ḏe▫e vadā▫ī. Apne sevak ka▫o nām japā▫ī.
Provides recognition to own humble servant. Gets own humble servant to understand.

ਅਪਨੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਕੀ ਆਪਿ ਪਤਿ ਰਾਖੈ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਕੋਇ ਲਾਖੈ
Apne sevak kī āp paṯ rākẖai. Ŧā kī gaṯ miṯ ko▫e na lākẖai.
By self maintains dignity of own humble servant. No one can understand limits or states of such.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਕਉ ਕੋ ਪਹੂਚੈ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਊਚ ਤੇ ਊਚੇ
Parabẖ ke sevak ka▫o ko na pahūcẖai. Parabẖ ke sevak ūcẖ ṯe ūcẖe.
No one nears equal to humble servant. Creator’s humble servant higher than highest.

ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਅਪਨੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਲਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਦਹ ਦਿਸਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਾਇਆ ੪॥
Jo parabẖ apnī sevā lā▫i▫ā. Nānak so sevak ḏah ḏis paragtā▫i▫ā. ||4||
One so tasked by creator to serve. Nanak such humble servant so shines in ten directions.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state the eternal truth prevailing and so prevailing forever from the past to the future.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 17, 4th sabad describe the creator’s blessings (see Sabad 3 for defining a humble servant) towards one so recognized. The creator of own humble servant minimizes deficiencies and bestows honor, provides recognition and provides understanding, the limitless one saves the dignity. Only the humble servant of the creator considered higher than the highest.

Guru ji conclude that humble servant so put to service comes to shine in realization from all directions.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Just a few of my suggestions and a question.

ਅਪਨੇ ਜਨ ਕਾ ਪਰਦਾ ਢਾਕੈ ਅਪਨੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਕੀ ਸਰਪਰ ਰਾਖੈ
Apune jan kā parḏā dẖākai. Apne sevak kī sarpar rākẖai.

He shows/sees (dhakai) whats behind the cover(parda).
Does parda refer to hidden impure mind/faults/wrongs hiding behind cover OR the goodness that is behind cover ?

Sarpar refers to the goodlight/gleam/honour of person and 'rakhai' as in protect by protector.
The sarpar is protected by the devoted helper(sevak) of God
Parda dakhai- to reveal behind the cover.
He can see/knows of all things hiding within all people. Only the devoted helpers of the lord get their honor protected and preserved.

Provides recognition to own humble servant. Gets own humble servant to understand.

(Apne sevak kao)-devoted or humble helper is welcomed/recognised when he chants/japs the naam.

I have just broken down to single words with this translation to get the above.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh ji thanks for your comments. I believe we need to discourse little further. Chant is a very misused word and massively used in some translations. Let us review.
Just a few of my suggestions and a question.
Sarpar refers to the goodlight/gleam/honour of person and 'rakhai' as in protect by protector.

ਸਰਪਰ
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary
ਜ਼ਰੂਰ, ਨਿਸਚਤ, ਲਾਜ਼ਮੀ। ਆਖ਼ਿਰ ਨੂੰ। ਉਦਾਹਰਣ: ਸਰਪਰ ਉਠੀ ਚਲਣਾ ਛਡਿ ਜਾਸੀ ਲਖ ਕਰੋੜਿ॥ {ਸਿਰੀ ੫, ੯੨, ੩:੨ (50)}

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-English Dictionary
P. adv. Surely, certainly
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.

English Translation
Surely, ultimately, under all circumstances.

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia
ਪ੍ਰਾ. ਕ੍ਰਿ. ਵਿ- ਬਿਨਾ ਸੰਸੇ. ਨਿਰਸੰਦੇਹ, ਬਿਨਾ ਸ਼ੱਕ. "ਸਰਪਰ ਉਠੀ ਚਲਣਾ". (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮਃ੫) "ਰੰਗੁ ਨ ਲਗੀ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਤਾਂ ਸਰਪਰ ਨਰਕੇ ਜਾਇ". (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੫)। (2) ਸਿਰਉੱਪਰ.
Mahan Kosh data provided by Bhai Baljinder Singh (RaraSahib Wale); See http://www.ik13.com

(Apne sevak kao)-devoted or humble helper is welcomed/recognised when he chants/japs the naam.
Let us review ਜਪਾਈ
ਹੋਮ ਜਪਾ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸਾਚੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ
होम जपा नही जाणिआ गुरमती साचु पछाणु ॥
Hom japā nahī jāṇi▫ā gurmaṯī sācẖ pacẖẖāṇ.
He is not known through burnt offerings and ritual chanting; the True Lord is known through the Guru's Teachings.
ਅਹੂਤੀ ਦੇਣ ਅਤੇ ਧਾਰਮਕ ਪੁਸਤਕਾਂ ਦੇ ਪਾਠ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਂਦਾ। ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਸਤਿਪੁਰਖ ਅਨੁਭਵ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।
ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣਿਆ = ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ, ਸਾਂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਾਈ ਜਾ ਸਕਦੀ। ਸਾਚੁ = ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ। ਪਛਾਣੁ = ਪਛਾਣੂ, ਮਿਤ੍ਰ, ਸਹਾਈ।
ਹੋਮ ਜਪ ਆਦਿਕਾਂ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਣਦੀ, ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਮੱਤ ਤੇ ਤੁਰਿਆਂ ਉਹ ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ (ਜੀਵ ਦਾ) ਦਰਦੀ ਬਣ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=992&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=1&fb=0&k=1
I really want you to reconcile the above with your assertion. Great to dialog for all of us to learn.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: I have given reference to a line from a Sabad. I would be happy to have us review the referenced sabad separately for mutual understanding too.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Thanks for that. I am not very good with gurmukhi (mostly self taught), but I've been breaking down single words to get a better picture.
With the shabad you quoted,- here goes-
I think the japa term here is more inclined towards 'act of worship'.
I understand know what you mean by the jap/chant being misused- as in this shabad the chant is not at all appropriate. Thanks for highlighting that.​

He is not known through burnt offerings and ritual chanting; the True Lord is known through the Guru's Teachings

I sum it up as below-
(hom japa) A fire worship can't help find him(nahi jani-a). The true lord can be found/recognized(sach pachan) with the true teachings (gurmat).

I'm trying quite hard to improve all this and have been doing it quite thoroughly over last few days.

Let me know if I got something wrong, as my punjabi is not all that good either.

Sat sri akal

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Lucky Singh ji,
ਢਾਕੈ means to cover up. The verse reads: The Creator covers up His servants. He saves their honour.

It reminds me of how Draupadi was bet in the heat of a gamble by her Pandav husbands. They lost her to their relatives who immediately pounced on her at the opportunity. They started stripping her by removing her sari. Her husbands did nothing for her; she no longer belonged to them. Feeling anxious and helpless, she remembered the Creator. As her sari was being stripped, the Creator literally provided an infinite stream of sari to cover her up and save her honor. Guru Arjan Dev ji's writings show that he is very familiar with this story and it may well be something that he had on his mind.

ਮੁਕੰਦ ਮਨੋਹਰ ਲਖਮੀ ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ॥
मुकंद मनोहर लखमी नाराइण ॥
Mukanḏ manohar lakẖmī nārā▫iṇ.
Liberator, Enticing Lord, Lord of Lakshmi.

ਦ੍ਰੋਪਤੀ ਲਜਾ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ਉਧਾਰਣ ॥
द्रोपती लजा निवारि उधारण ॥ Ḏ
aropaṯī lajā nivār uḏẖāraṇ.
Savior of Dropadi's honor.

ਕਮਲਾਕੰਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਕੰਤੂਹਲ ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨੋਦੀ ਨਿਹਸੰਗਾ ॥੬॥
कमलाकंत करहि कंतूहल अनद बिनोदी निहसंगा ॥६॥
Kamlākanṯ karahi kanṯūhal anaḏ binoḏī nihsangā. ||6||
Husband of Lakshmi/Lord of Maya, miracle-worker, absorbed in delightful play, unattached. ||6||
pg 1082

Also ਜਪਾ does mean to chant/repeat but without a Guru it is pretty ineffective way of reaching enlightenment. You wouldn't know what you were doing. Some people think it's some kind of parroting chore, a mindless practice. Without a guru, that is essentially what you would think. And without a Guru, that is what it is, a mindless parroting chore (except for a rare few who discover the jewel without a Guru but they are very rare). But done with the guidance of the Guru, with Gurmat, it is something of a different nature. To find that out, you are just going to have to chant, repeat, sing kirtan with guidance from the Guru.

We know Gurus encourage chanting. They use other words to talk about it like this one for example:
ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਬੋਲਤ ਸ੍ਰੀਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਤੋਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
हरि जन बोलत स्रीराम नामा मिलि साधसंगति हरि तोर ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Har jan bolaṯ sarīrām nāmā mil sāḏẖsangaṯ har ṯor. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The humble servant of the Lord chants the Name of the Supreme Lord; he joins the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Lord's Holy. ||1||Pause||
Bolat means to speak, utter, to say or chant. Chant what? Ram.

pg 1265

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
He is not known through burnt offerings and ritual chanting; the True Lord is known through the Guru's Teachings

I sum it up as below-
(hom japa) A fire worship can't help find him(nahi jani-a). The true lord can be found/recognized(sach pachan) with the true teachings (gurmat)
Veer Luckysingh ji no problem we all try to learn. I believe the two words are nouns and separate state the activity. होम/Havan and जपा/(as in the original post above with the meanings).So both activities are flagged as worthless compared to गुरमती/ wisdom-understanding of the creator received.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM