• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 10 Sabad 2 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧0 ਸਬਦ ੨

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਅਨੇਕ ਜਨ ਅੰਤੁ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਚਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਰਚੀ ਬਹੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਅਨਿਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ੧॥
Usṯaṯ karahi anek jan anṯ na pārāvār. Nānak racẖnā parabẖ racẖī baho biḏẖ anik parkār. ||1||
Many people praise thee but there are no limits to such. Nanak, the creator architected this universe with many methods of different types.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਭਏ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੀ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਅੰਧ ਅਗਿਆਨੀ
Ka▫ī kot bẖa▫e abẖimānī. Ka▫ī kot anḏẖ agi▫ānī.
Many millions act with egotism. Many millions are blind devoid of knowledge.

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਕਠੋਰ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਭਿਗ ਆਤਮ ਨਿਕੋਰ
Ka▫ī kot kirpan kaṯẖor. Ka▫ī kot abẖig āṯam nikor.
Many millions are stone hearted misers. Many millions are merciless and rude.

ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰ ਦਰਬ ਕਉ ਹਿਰਹਿ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰ ਦੂਖਨਾ ਕਰਹਿ
Ka▫ī kot par ḏarab ka▫o hirėh. Ka▫ī kot par ḏūkẖnā karahi.
Many millions steal wealth of others. Many millions slander others.
ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਸ੍ਰਮ ਮਾਹਿ ਕਈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰਦੇਸ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਹਿ
Ka▫ī kot mā▫i▫ā saram māhi. Ka▫ī kot parḏes bẖarmāhi.
Many millions work hard for worldly possessions. Many millions wander in foreign lands.

ਜਿਤੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਲਗਨਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਤੇ ਕੀ ਜਾਨੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਚਨਾ ੨॥
Jiṯ jiṯ lāvhu ṯiṯ ṯiṯ lagnā. Nānak karṯe kī jānai karṯā racẖnā. ||2||
What is assigned, so one follows. Nanak, only the creator know creator’s ways of creating.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that many try to describe the creator but such is limitless. The creator creates with a variety of methods and of different types.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 10, 2nd sabad describe the worldly types of people. Many millions ego centric, devoid of knowledge, misers, merciless and rude, stealing wealth of others, slanderers, work hard for worldly possessions and go to foreign lands.

Guru ji conclude one does as ascribed and only creator knows ways of the creator.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ambarsariaji

another beautiful way to start the day, reading your translations gives me much pleasure, for me this is simply, follow his Hukam for happiness that outweighs all of the above distractions

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ambarsariaji

another beautiful way to start the day, reading your translations gives me much pleasure, for me this is simply, follow his Hukam for happiness that outweighs all of the above distractions
Harry veer ji if I may make one comments about Hukam. It is not an esoteric or etheral concept either but a very practical direction. The "Hukam" is one and never changing.

From what I understand it goes,
Live in consonance with understanding of one creator's creation and keep developing understanding and bettering your living.
Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
mundahugVeerji

Agree completely, although I take a more simplistic approach, listen to the truth in your head, ignore the thieves= Hukam

Having your read your definition again though, they seem one and the same kudihug

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
mundahugVeerji

Agree completely, although I take a more simplistic approach, listen to the truth in your head, ignore the thieves= Hukam

Having your read your definition again though, they seem one and the same kudihug
Harry Haller ji updated relationship of the Hukam to possible updated understanding is always in the head, just as you stated. The only element left is what one does about it in living and actions?

Sikhism is defined by actions and not just understanding in the head. It appears there is far too much focus on getting the mush ball on top of the body loaded with perfect knowledge and ignore the actions part. Clearly very contra to true Sikhi living.

Same is done in almost all religious thought by millions if not billions. Listen to the non-Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji statement of the same by Baba Bulleh Shah in the following by Abida Parveen which focuses on precepts/persona versus actions,

Abida Parveen Sings Bulleh Shah - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM