• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib:7th Ashtapadee:6th Pauri:My Understanding

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

With the grace of ‘The Sat’, today I share my understanding of 6th Pauri of 7th Ashtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib with you.

Please note that the English sentence after the Transliteration is not the exact literal translation of the sentence, it is the meaning of the tuk as understood by me.

First the Summary:

As done in the previous Pauri of this Ashtapadee, Guru Sahib is conveying to his disciples the effect that the company of pure and spiritually evolved people will have on their being. This is the positive factor of such association.

This can also be used as the criteria to determine the persons who will qualify for Saadh-Sangat. If in the company of a person, whom one presume to be a pure and evolved, these positive changes in do not start manifesting in your being, than there are good chances that the person is not a pure and spiritually evolved person. This way Guru Sahib is protecting us from possible deception.

1. swD kY sMig nhI kCu Gwl ] saaDh kai sang nahee kachh ghaal.
In the company of spiritually evolved pure people, there is no suffering.

My understanding:
This Tuk can be understood better if one understands the word ‘Suffering’. As we are in our lives we undergo pain and suffering.

Pain is biological in nature and is associated with the body, it cannot be avoided. The body is going to get hurt sometime or the other making us experience pain; body may become tiered lead to pain; one has to endure the pain caused by diseases etc

Suffering is mental.

In the company of spiritually evolved pure people, the causes of sufferings - desires attachments and vices leave the person. When the cause itself is not there how can the effect exist? Thus the person does not suffer in the company of spiritually evolved pure people.

This is what Guru Sahib is conveying to us.

2. drsnu Bytq hoq inhwl ] darsan bhaytat hot nihaal.
The very vision of the spiritually evolved pure people gives a blissful joy.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib says that there is something in the person of the spiritually evolved pure people that one gets a very soothing feeling by the very sight of them.
It is my own understanding that as the person becomes spiritually more and more evolved, some sort of field develops around her or him – you may call it some sort of Aura. Any person who comes within that field experiences the soothing, blissful peace. Depending on the person’s level of evolution in spirituality, this aura may be very large in radius, even in kilometers. The people will feel the presence of divine even when it is not visible in this range.

3. swD kY sMig klUKq hrY ] saaDh kai sang kalookhat harai.
In the company of spiritually evolve pure people, all the negativities of the being get erased.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib is telling us, that the purification of the inner self removes all that attaches the person to desires and sense objects for which the person indulges in improper, unethical corrupt practices. This is the result of company of spiritually evolved pure people, where in these negativities just leave the person; this happens because of the environment such company creates.

4. swD kY sMig nrk prhrY ] saaDh kai sang narak parharai.
In the company of spiritually evolve pure people, the idea of hell disappears.

My understanding:

Narak means hell. As I understand, it is not a physical place, it is a conceptual idea. This idea of hell and heaven is a product of our functioning brain and resides in mind. We live our lives in it. Living a worldly life, when the happenings are pleasant we can say we are living in heaven. On the other end when life becomes difficult to live it is what we refer to as hell – I am passing through hell, you must have heard people saying.

When the person lives a spiritual life, there is nothing for him that can create trouble for her or him. Living this Satvika life every happening is benign for this person. The person is Puneet, living in a state of perpetual blissful joy. This person has nothing to do with Narak (hell) of Swarga (heaven); these apply to individuals who are living in duality. For spiritual and divine people all the dualities disappear. The live in ‘ONE’

5. swD kY sMig eIhw aUhw suhylw ] saaDh kai sang eehaa oohaa suhaylaa.
In the company of spiritually evolved pure people, the life here and there becomes joyous.

My understanding:

As I understand, the phrase, here and there means now and later, this life and the next.

When the person lives in the company of spiritually evolved pure people, here and there, this life and next life dissolve and merge into one. These are after all dualities.
The environment that the company of spiritually evolved pure people creates, the new entrant over a period of time realizes the truth that she or he is not the body but ‘The Sat’ within it.

Here and there, this birth and next birth applies to the physical form i.e. body. The truth of her or his existence ‘The Sat’ within was all the time there in past, it is present now, and it will remain present in future also; it is constant. With this understanding, the blissful joyous existence of the being becomes permanent and ceases to be a subject of time or place.

This is the result of the evolved person coming to know the game of Dualities.

6. swDsMig ibCurq hir mylw ] saaDhsang bichhurat har maylaa.
In the company of spiritually evolved pure people, the earlier separated become one with ‘The Sat’.

My understanding:

This Tuk does not need much elaboration. The environment created by the company of spiritually evolved pure people helps the new entrant to realize the Truth of its being. Body centered, Ahamkara based worldly living has made it think itself to be a separate entity. Now this truth dawn on the person that really it is ‘The Sat’ within. As we all know, there is only one ‘Sat’. From this it becomes clear that the person is one with all since ‘The Sat’ is in all the entities of the creation. This way, the person becomes one with entire creation and thus merges with ‘One’.

7. jo ieCY soeI Plu pwvY ] jo ichhai so-ee fal paavai.
What the person desires gets realized.

My understanding:

The person, who is fully evolved in spirituality, does not have any worldly desire. Such person has become an instrument of ‘The Sat’. All such person wishes is for the protection, preservation and evolution of the creation of ‘The Sat’. This person works and wishes for the common good of all. Spiritually evolved people are selfless beings. They are always linked to the ‘Cosmic Intelligent Energy’ which is ‘The Sat’. What ever they wish gets supported by the infinite potential of this ‘Cosmic Intelligent Energy’

In one of my earlier post, I had explained that the thought is a form of energy and energy can be transformed into material. I am not elaborating it again here.

The wishes of the spiritually evolved people get materialize very fast. The boons such people grant becomes the material reality of the recipient. This is what Guru Sahib conveys to us in the above Tuk.

8. swD kY sMig n ibrQw jwvY ] saaDh kai sang na birthaa jaavai.
The company of spiritually evolved pure people is never a waste.

My understanding:

Guru Sahib says that the time one spends in the company of a spiritually evolved person is never a waste, one always gets enriched.

9. pwrbRhmu swD ird bsY ] paarbarahm saaDh rid basai.
The Sat’ dwells in the being of the spiritually evolved pure people.

My understanding:

Each of the being is sustained by ‘The Sat’ in it. The presence of ‘The Sat’ finds expression in the being of the spiritually evolved pure people. Even a commoner can sense it and feel the presence of ‘The Sat’ is within this person.

10. nwnk auDrY swD suin rsY ]6] naanak uDhrai saaDh sun rasai. ||6||
O Nanak, listening to the essence from the spiritually evolved pure people, one advances on the path of spirituality and evolve.||6||

My understanding:
Guru Sahib summarizes for us the benefit of the company of spiritually evolved pure people. He says that listening to them and observing them even a novice starts evolving in spiritual domain.

With this I close the post.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: