• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib: 10th Ashtapadee: 7th Pauri: My Understanding

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

With the grace of ‘The Sat’, today I share my understanding of 7th Pauri of 10thAshtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib with you.

Please note that the English sentence after the Transliteration is not the exact literal translation of the text of the Tuk of Siri Guru Granth Sahib under reference, it is the meaning of the Tuk as understood by me.

As requested by one of the member, I am trying to give Hindi or Punjabi equivalent word, in brackets, for some of the English words.

First the Summary: In this Pauri Guru Sahib mentions, for us, some of the entities eg. humans, animals, plants, rivers mountains etc that we see on earth that are small part of the unlimited, infinite creation of ‘The Sat’ and, as I understand, it also conveys that the living and non-living entities – both are part that emanated from ‘The Sat’. This negates the view of those who follow Samkhya Philosophy.

1. keI koit KwxI Aru KMf ] ka-ee kot khaanee ar khand.
[/FONT]There are numerous domains and dimensions.[/FONT]

My understanding:

Guru Sahib in this Tuk tells us that the creation is not a monolith entity, there is variety in it. In my post, in English, what Guru Sahib has referred to as ‘Khaanee’, I refer to it as domains and similarly I refer to’ Khand’ as dimensions. I elaborate a little on them.

As, I understand, ‘Prithvi Lok’, that is planet earth is a dimension (Khand) of the creation of ‘The Sat’. There are dimensions (Loks) other than earth also. Within this dimension (earth) there are domains (Khaanee) where life is. For example: in the air; on the surface of the earth; beneath the surface of the earth, in rivers and ponds; in sea, near the near the surface, close to shore, deep in the sea, near the active volcanoes at the sea bed etc. These are domains (Khaanee ) where life is, some of these are like compartments within which some form of life can exist but no all the forms. For example: the life that is near the active volcanoes in the sea bed cannot sustain itself on the surface of the earth; we can swim but cannot life in sea and so on. These are, in a way compartments for specific form of life in the dimension (Khand) i.e. Lok i.e. Prithvi in which we are living.

As with the case of domains (Khaanee) the life form, possible, can be different in different dimensions (Khands or Loks).
This way Guru Sahib is introducing us to the infinite creativeness of ‘The Sat’.

2. keI koit Akws bRhmMf ] ka-ee kot akaas barahmand.
[/FONT]There are numerous skies and seeds for separate zones of creations.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib now tells us that there are large segments of space - skies (the sky which appears light blue to us in fact is space. The colour that we see is the reflected light from very tinny particulates that are present in the atmosphere). In these segments there are seeds – Barahmand - from which the solar systems and physical entities - living and non-living entities emerge. Guru Sahib has used the language and the terms that were used in the society that he was addressing; hence the word ‘Barahmand’. This was to help better communication with the audience.

3. keI koit hoey Avqwr ] ka-ee kot ho-ay avtaar.
[/FONT]Numerous are the manifestation of ‘The Sat’.[/FONT]

My understanding:
In Indian religious text, Avatar is use to convey the ideal of physical manifestation of the God. Ancient scripture of the land tells that the Avatars were not just in human form; there were in form of life different than it – animals and even plants.

It is my personal understanding that ‘The Sat’ resides in each one of us as said in Gurbani. The individuals, who evolve to the pinnacle of spirituality, become divine and become an expression of ‘The Sat’. In Indian philosophy such individuals are referred to as Avatars. This way each one of us is a potential Avatar, this potential in latent in each one of us, waiting for finding expression,. It is realized only through good Karmas in the present and past lives.

4. keI jugiq kIno ibsQwr ] ka-ee jugat keeno bisthaar.
[/FONT]In enormous ways ‘The Sat’ has expanded itself in its creation.[/FONT]

My understanding:

Guru Sahib is telling us about the enormity of creativity of ‘The Sat’. In this Tuk Guru Sahib point out to us that there is not just one way ‘The Sat’ has expressed itself in its creation in infinite ways.

As I understand, we have very limited understanding of the creation yet science has established large number of living entities on this plane, they live on ground; in sky; in water; below ground; in deep seas and so on. The total inventory of life form is very large. This too only the life forms we can perceive through senses. I am sure there must be other forms of life which cannot be perceived in similar way.

5. keI bwr psirE pwswr ] ka-ee baar pasri-o paasaar.
[/FONT]So many times ‘The Sat’ has expanded.[/FONT]

My understanding:

As I understand, Guru Sahib is telling us that ‘The Sat’ has dissolved and then recreated its creation again and again so many times. In Indian way of perceiving the creation the entire creation re-enter ‘The Sat’ after a long period of evolution. Then, when ‘The Sat’ wishes it again comes forth.

6. sdw sdw ieku eykMkwr ] sadaa sadaa ik aykankaar.
[/FONT]Always it is the same ‘Absolute’ ‘The Sat’.[/FONT]

My understanding:

Guru Sahib brings to our notice that ‘The Sat’ is unchangeable and remains the same. In other words it also says that no matter if the creation is or dissolved, ‘The Sat’ remains as it was ever. Even when the creation exist, it does not deplete ‘The Sat’ in any way, nor does ‘The Sat’ gets enriched when its creation ceases to be or merges with ‘The Sat’. There is noting that can change ‘The Sat’ it is independent of time and remains the same always.

7. keI koit kIny bhu Bwiq ] ka-ee kot keenay baho bhaat.
[/FONT]Numerous types are created.[/FONT]

My understanding:

Guru Sahib is explaining to us the enormous types of living beings and non-living entities are created by ‘The Sat’ You take the case of humans – no two humans are really alike – there is always difference in appearance, nature, tendencies etc. each of this variable created large number of combinations; similarly birds, sea animals, plants and natures minerals the variety is mind boggling. All this is done by ‘The Sat’. This gives us an ideal about the unimaginable expanse of ‘The Sat’.

8. pRB qy hoey pRB mwih smwiq ] parabh tay ho-ay parabh maahi samaat.
[/FONT]The entire creation emanates from ‘The Sat’ and finally merges into it.[/FONT]

My understanding:

‘The Sat’ as we know is essence and all that we perceive is expression of it. There may be life forms which our senses cannot perceive; there may be dimensions unknown to us where some life form is. Guru Sahib tells us that all this that is come from ‘The Sat’ and then finally merges into it.

9. qw kw AMqu n jwnY koie ] t[/FONT]aa kaa ant na jaanai ko-ay.
[/FONT]Where the Limits of ‘The Sat’ are no one knows[/FONT]

My understanding:

Guru Sahib, once again, tells us that we are limited, we are used to the world (earth and life) that has limits. Just try to imagine the space (Akash) that is infinite, can one? What ‘The Sat’ is, which is infinite in all dimensions one cannot imagine. Guru Sahib makes it clear to us that limited (we) cannot think or imagine the limits of Limitless that ‘The Sat’ is.

10. Awpy Awip nwnk pRBu soie ]7] aapay aap naanak parabh so-ay. ||7||
[/FONT]on its own, O Nanak, ‘The Sat’ is.

My understanding:
Here again Guru Sahib reminds us that ‘The Sat’ is not a created entity; there is no one who created it. ‘The Sat’ is self supporting and is totally on its own.

With This I close this post

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM