• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Spiritual Guidance

NinduP

SPNer
Sep 14, 2010
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on where to go from where I'm at in terms of spiritual development, so I'll highlight how I got to where I'm at. Hopefully it won't attract any replies loaded with prejudices or maybe this is just a loaded question. But anyway, just need a little guidance from someone who knows their stuff.

I'd say it's been about 6 months since I touched the deeper dimension, the true nature of being and since then began to dispell doubt, that's the best way I can put it. And 6 months prior to that I realised that I have been, and still continue to hold onto a lot of conflicting ideas and it's really not that healthy. It took a while for me to realise that I'm carrying around a monster of an ego, and I thought ego wasn't something that was a big problem in "normal everyday life", which I now realise is sacred, every single moment, whether we realise it or not.

Also I will mention that a lot of common opinion about me, my character, and all the so called "virtue" I was carrying around was false and kind of manufactured.

So anyway, far as spirituality goes I used to do nitnem in the morning, listen to some kirtan and have also explored wider territory. I read Eckhart Tolle (look up the pain body on the internet), Osho, Jiddu Krishnamurti and various other online sources.

What I find is that dependent on what I am focused on there are a lot of resources available on the internet and usually I find that one resource by itself never really cuts it, meaning that most of the books I buy and resources I find usually become redundant, they're good they had a value when they were needed but now I find I need something a bit more wholesome.

I considered picking up all the vedas (all 4 books by my understanding) and also things like other religious books, but quickly realised that I will possibly confuse myself and lose interest. So now I come on to Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I find it daunting to think that I may have to learn several languages to make any sense, and even though I've touched on the surface of the deeper reality I realise that attention has to be in the deeper reality even in day to day life, I find that I am suffering less even through times of difficulty. And any anger, and negativity directed towards me, I realise where it's coming from.

I guess that aboiut sums up where I'm at, and where to from here? I don't know

-Nindu P

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Give the members some time to reply. Your question is simple, but there is more than one layer and certainly more than one layer in the answer. :)

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
What you describe is something I am sure every one of us has faced at some point! A good starting point would be tackling the conflicting ideas-the things that are bothering you. Once you have those issues clearer then you can move onto deeper topics. Try this as a good base; http://www.sikhbulletin.com/Bulletins/SikhBulletinJanFeb2009.pdf. I find it a wonderful summary and starting point. I attended a youth camp several years ago that I thoroughly enjoyed but it left me feeling confused as so much said there didn't make sense. It was only when I started digging deeper and reading about the concepts from the source, the SGGS, that I was able to understand what is right and what isn't. This is a process that never stops as we learn more and evolve.

As far as the ego goes, do what you can to tone it down. The fact that you recognise this is a problem is a brilliant start. Surround yourself with positive role models as when you are looking up at people your own ego deflates. Spend time with children on a hospital ward for serious illnesses. Looking at their resilience helps put things in perspective. There are 1000 other things that can be tried too so work out what you think will work for you!

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress! Spirituality is a combination of knowledge, faith, desire for it, working hard to change yourself for the better and Waheguru's blessing :meditation:japposatnamwaheguru:

NinduP

SPNer
Sep 14, 2010
Hello,

Thanks for the comments people, public and private.

findingmyway, a few things I found slightly disturbing, I don't like the idea of people as role models. That's kind of like worshipping a mental idol and altering an ego around it. Looking up at people, well I appreciate other people, but looking up (or indeed down) at others is ego feed.

And watching children in a ward (or the news, etc), it can be a lot of things gathering (largely useless) information. And also it has been said people look at those less fortunate just to feel better than themselves.

And seeing the ego, it has now become VERY subtle.

but anyways this topic is all over the place, my trouble is I haven't really asked any proper questions. I'll be back when I make some more progress.

NinduP

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
NinduP ji,
You misunderstand me so I will try to explain further.

Hello,

Thanks for the comments people, public and private.

findingmyway, a few things I found slightly disturbing, I don't like the idea of people as role models. That's kind of like worshipping a mental idol and altering an ego around it. Looking up at people, well I appreciate other people, but looking up (or indeed down) at others is ego feed.

Role models are about seeing goodness in people that you want to emulate. If someone is looking down at others then they are no longer a role model. The role model themself is not involved-it is purely a personal thing. I don't worship any of my role models and am not blind to their mistakes (they are human after all)! I don't worship the Gurus or any other human being, doesn't mean I don't admire them. Here a couple more examples-one of my role models is Bhai Kanhaiya. His selfless service inspires me towards seva too. I do not worship him but try and follow his attitude in life as it can only be a good thing! Another role model for me is my mother. I don't worship her (don't even always agree with her just like any normal relationship!) but I admire her and try to emulate her strength, humility and selflessness. I don't think she realises she is my role model but she reminds me of the person I want to be. The very fact neither if these people looked down at anybody is what draws me to them!

And watching children in a ward (or the news, etc), it can be a lot of things gathering (largely useless) information. And also it has been said people look at those less fortunate just to feel better than themselves.
I never said watching -they are not in a zoo!! I said spend time with meaning playing games/teling stories/serving food, whatever they need or want. There always has to be a 2-way street. When I've worked with 'vulnerable' groups of people my intention was always to give something back but I soon learnt that I was the real winner. They received companionship, a listening ear, a friend, a sense that someone cares or just a bit of fun with a playmate! I received the precious gift of pure emotion-no games or show as is the case in the real world. I received the gift of perspective and happiness and optimism. It also made me realise I am a small drop in a vast ocean of people who are all unique. There are so many different problems in the world but also many solutions. That for me is very humbling and refreshing. We are all fortunate but in different ways.

If these things don't work for you, no problems at all. We all are individuals and work in different ways. We are all fortunate but in different ways. Good luck!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM