• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Soul In Sikhi

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I was thinking what makes a personality and I wonder if it is names of Panj Pyare:

Dya
Dharam
Himmat
Mokham
Sahib

PS: If I am not wrong, the new names were given to them after baptization, right?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
yes, I am afraid they are, merely a few of the many facades of myself.Experience and age has taught me which of the facades create a consonance, and which do not.

As a person I am whoever I wish to be, my amazing personality is nothing of the sort, I may be a madman, but even madmen have responsibilities, to animals, to people, its not quite the same as love, but to my mind, the end justifies the means.

As a person, crack open my heart and you will see a sad wolf tearing himself to pieces and smearing blood on the walls, that is who I truly am, its not a pretty sight.

Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

I am sorry to say that I disagree with you and with the traits as you call them facades only if you call them different roles in our lives that we play on this revolving stage called life as facades, then I am with you. Perhaps we are using the wrong term- facade-. If we translate this into Roles, then we all play roles in our lives.We treat/play role with people whom we are passionate about in the same manner because the chemistry formed by the energy of the two unconsciously makes us do that. We can transport the same to our pets, customers, strangers and many others we come in contact with on our daily basis.

The goodness, you have cultivated within despite your wolf howlings has always been there and with the experiences of time you have been able to deepen its roots. Hence, perhaps a glimpse of its ray is shared with some and to the others, the whole lighthouse which does not warn the boats to runaway but invite them to anchor themselves there because it is safe without any jagged edges.

At times, we are capable of making even the bitterness of love into sweetness. And you do have that in you which is a rare gift you have been bestowed with. It may have been hidden under your howlings but the light of love within makes these wonderful hidden things sprout.

I'd better shut up now.

Tejwant Singh

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
AHA! And there it is, staring at us in the face :) I cannot remember who said it, and in which thread, but I remember reading someone having said "there is only true path of living, all others are false". The teachings in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, we already know them, we have those values instilled in us from day 1. All that information we carry is staring at us in the face through Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The writing in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is what our soul tells us every single day. How to live, how to treat other people, what to focus on, what to disregard, it's all soul vs body. Your soul will be telling you the objective truth, it doesn't matter how mad you are how hurt, there will always be a part of you that knows the difference between right and wrong. Your body, or more specifically your brain, is maya, it will be acting in the interests of worldly gains and pleasures.

Aisha ji thank you for such a wonderful, thoughtful post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! I would like to add to the above thought. I also the battle between mind and body, and I think this week's shabad of the week is a great example. However, I don't equate brain to maya. A lot of base behaviours are nothing to do with the brain but are controlled by other parts of the central nervous system. Gurbani talks about the dasam dwar-a gateway on the top of the head. I think this refers to the brain. You also go on to talk about consciousness, which can only happen with the brain. Therefore the brain can either follow a manmukh path, being controlled by the 5 evils and the physical senses. Or it can come alive to illusion and follow a Gurmukh path. I hope that makes sense!

One of the quotes from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji from above was "The empty body is dreadful, when the soul goes out from within", so soul=consciousness, and "conscience" falls under the umbrella of "conscious", without the soul, without the "conscience", people truly are dreadful indeed.

This for me shows the pivotal role the brain has in freeing us from illusion or keep us trapped depending on how it is used! It is a door or handcuffs.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: