• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

So Many Questions

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have so many questions... I don't really know where to start.

The forum is kind of confusing to me so I'm trying to figure things out. At the same time I am trying to learn about Sikhism.

I have been seeking a spiritual path that does not attempt to put God in a box all my life long. I practice Christianity but have investigated many religions -- Paganism, all sorts of Christian paths, Buddism, and most recently Islam. Paganism didn't feel right to me, Buddism was nice but lacked something as well, and Islam was far too legalistic and static. It seems like everyone is trying to define God while I am seeking the opposite. If that makes any sense. I never have come across a religion in which I could speak freely about what I really believed. One is always criticizing the other and trying to prove why they are right and the others are wrong. At the same time I believed they were all right and all wrong at the same time.

When I started reading a little about Sikhism I thought -- Wow! This looks like it might be the religion for me! So now I am trying to learn all I can and I have many questions, and yet I'm new to the forum and not sure where to put them. So I hope it's okay for me to just post a few questions here in the new-to-Sikhism thread.

Questions:
1. Can a Sikh continue to follow the message of Jesus Christ, as in Gnostic Christianity?

2. Do Sikhs believe that the Gurus are actually God or just that God speaks through them as his representatives?

3. Do Sikhs worship the Gurus or are they just teachers?

4. What should someone like me read first? I'm confused about all the different writings and am wonder what is the most important sacred text of Sikhism. What would you recommend as the "Bible" of Sikhism for someone to get started with? Does anybody know where I might purchase one at the best price?

5. Can a Sikh actually participate in activities through other religions? I am a singer -- could I still sing in Christian Churches?

6. How important is it to speak/read Punjabi? Can a Sikh not be a Punjabi speaker or is it like Islam where you can't go to heaven or pray unless you speak Arabic?

I apologize if my post is in the wrong thread. I am trying to get acquainted with the forum. And I thank you in advance for your help.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Now let me try to answer your questions

1. Can a Sikh continue to follow the message of Jesus Christ, as in Gnostic Christianity?

It depends on message If the message is of peace and brotherhood then a sikh can surely learn it from jesus christ but if the message is that jesus is the only son of god and if you do not accept it you go to hell then sorry a sikh cannot beleive in this.

2. Do Sikhs believe that the Gurus are actually God or just that God speaks through them as his representatives?

Sikhs don't beleive that guru's are actually god.Though many sikhs beleive that a sikh should not differentiate between a guru and god.

You were Blocked
Guru Nanak received a Hukam (commandment) from God instructing him to spread a message of truth based on devotion to One God, honesty, and compassion. The soul of Guru Nanak passed on to nine successors, who elaborated on the first Guru's teachings to give form to this new religion. The final form was given by the tenth and last Guru, Gobind Singh, who started the Sikh initiation ceremony: initiated Sikhs formed a community of saint-soldiers known as Khalsa, the Pure Ones. Guru Gobind Singh also made it clear that, after him, the Guru-eternal for Sikhs would be their holy scripture, Guru Granth Sahib.

Sikhs don't worship guru's

4. What should someone like me read first? I'm confused about all the different writings and am wonder what is the most important sacred text of Sikhism. What would you recommend as the "Bible" of Sikhism for someone to get started with? Does anybody know where I might purchase one at the best price?

As written above The most important text for sikhs is Guru granth sahib as as guru gobind singh ji passed guruship to it

here is the link where you can read it.but please remember that it is written in poetry.

www.srigranth.org

5. Can a Sikh actually participate in activities through other religions? I am a singer -- could I still sing in Christian Churches?

It depend how much orthodox a sikh is some sikhs do not participate while some don't mind it.

6. How important is it to speak/read Punjabi? Can a Sikh not be a Punjabi speaker or is it like Islam where you can't go to heaven or pray unless you speak Arabic?

Its not like islam where you cannot go to heaven if you cannot speak punjabi.you could be a sikh without reading or speaking punjabi.But for deeper understanding of sikhism its preferable if a sikh learn to read gurmukhi script.

For more information on sikhism and sikh history please visit the following site.

You were Blocked

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE ABOVE LINK ITS VERY IMPORTANT

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Here is my take on your questions, KDS ji did a fine job but maybe it would be good to see some variety in answers as well, since we all have different opinions...

Questions:

I would have to say NO. As Christ said he was the Son of God, IE. god incarnate, no. Thts because in Sikhism, God has no bodily form.

Gurus have the Jot (Light) of God in them (kind of like Moses did in OT... but not quite) and are not God. They have some God like qualities, but they are not God.

Just teachers, we only worship one god. The first line in the Sikh holy book, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib: Ik Onkar. There is But One God. I will not explain all oft he facets, but this also explains a kind of unity between man and God, a completeness.

First off, You can read copies of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Online. However, purchasing the actual book, in one volume, in Gurmukhi (the Script of Panjabi) should not be done.. because then the book is no longer just a book - it is then the 11th Guru, containing all the writings of 6-7 Gurus (I forget the exact number from the 10). If you want a series of books broken down into 4-5 volumes, with English and Panjabi... Ask a different user, i do not have this knowledge.

Please forgive me.

For the version of the SGGS (Sri Guru Granth Sahib) I use, look here:

PAGE 1 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

This is a difficult topic. if you mean donate money, help them with fund raisers - Sure. If you mean participating in Christian worship... I elan on the no side, but thats up to you. :D

You do not need to know how to speak Punjbai, learning some Gurmukhi is not hard - since you write it in Gurmukhi how you say it. You can do your prayers in whatever language you like. I prefer reading them in English.. and ocasionally in Panjabi.

Please forgive any errors.

Thank you!

More questions:

Is "bani" a prayer?

When the Guru is speaking of the True Guru, does he mean God?

When he says abide with the Guru, is he talking about God?

Answer to your last 2 questions: yes & yes.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2006
I would recommend this site too

Sikhism Based on Gurbani - Home

You can download the pdf's to your pc.

Contents:

Aim of Life

Dukh Sukh

Parmatma

Maya

Guru

Naam

Semran

Sat Sangat

Gurbani

Sabad

Kirtan

Gyan

Laykh & Laykha

Dar Adab

The Body

Jaat Paat

Trai Gun, Sehaj

Hukam (Razaa)

Prabhu Melaap and Ardaas

Vekaars

Duhaagan, Suhaagan & Laava(n)

Teerath Esnaan

Govend Preet

The four Yug / Jug

Ant Kaal

Bhagti

Humility

Jeevatma

Semran Vayla

Learning - Parna

Nenda

Our Weaknesses

Gurmukh Manmukh

Meat & Intoxicants

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Without a guru there can be no God realization and thus no mukti. The guru is

the giver of
naam to whosoever seeks his sharan / saran. Guru Amar Das says that
the Lord has made such an arrangement –​
bant, that no one gets the naam without the guru – ben satgur ko nau na paa-ay.

Ben satgur ko nau na paa-ay prabh aisi bant bana-ee hay.
P.1046

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
i`ll be pleased to answer your questions

Questions:
-> For Sikh Our Guru are SGGS (Sri Guru Granth Sahib). He is our scripture and our guru both. Our Tenth Master Guru Gobind Singh has told us clearly ( in his 52 commands) that Do read bible, Quaran, Torah, sastars etc. but should have firm belief on Gurbani ( sikh`s sacred text).

-> Guru are not God. Our Tenth Master has said ' One who say i`m the god will surely go to hell as you shall perceive i`m his slave' . Guru has spread the message of God .
Our Guru like a perfect teacher made us realize that '
God does speak to everyone and belong to everyone. Everyone is his representative.'

-> We are commanded to worship God, the almigty one with Naam simran ( reciting his name) . We do not worship our guru but we respect them highly.

->The bible of Sikh is only one (Sri Guru granth Sahib )- SGGS . You cannot buy it because it should be keep with high regards and no one is alloweded to publish it expect the SGPC. But you can read the translations and /or wikipedia . It is available online also.
(Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib)

This is the complete Sikh bible and Our Guru.
- Please give them high regard and respect while reading.

-> i could not understand your question fully . But as far as singing is concerned . i`ll forward you to (Kirtan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Kirtan means singing sacred hymns. Only this kind of singing is allowed in our temple ( gurudwara) .

-> NO. There is no language restriction in sikhism. You can be sikh without being punjabi ,or even without seen india. The only essence of knowing Gurmukhi is because SGGS is written in gurmukhi. So if you dont know gurmukhi, you have to rely on someone`s translations . So it`ll be good if you yourself read the original text and discover yourself. Otherwise there is no language restriction.

The Other basics of Sikhism is (to help your research)
1. Sikh literly means 'learner' . The one who keeps on learning , a disicple. So as a sikh we believe in learning as much as we can, like language, arts , music, meditation, meaning of life etc. and consider life as a chance to learning .

2. Sikh is one who meditate on God`s name and live life according to his will.

3. No rituals, no fasting, no superstitions have any place in sikhism.

There are many more. in case have any question please post or you can mail me also stupidjassi@stupidjassi.com

thanks
stupidjassi

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have so many questions... I don't really know where to start.

The forum is kind of confusing to me so I'm trying to figure things out. At the same time I am trying to learn about Sikhism.

I have been seeking a spiritual path that does not attempt to put God in a box all my life long. I practice Christianity but have investigated many religions -- Paganism, all sorts of Christian paths, Buddism, and most recently Islam. Paganism didn't feel right to me, Buddism was nice but lacked something as well, and Islam was far too legalistic and static. It seems like everyone is trying to define God while I am seeking the opposite. If that makes any sense. I never have come across a religion in which I could speak freely about what I really believed. One is always criticizing the other and trying to prove why they are right and the others are wrong. At the same time I believed they were all right and all wrong at the same time.

When I started reading a little about Sikhism I thought -- Wow! This looks like it might be the religion for me! So now I am trying to learn all I can and I have many questions, and yet I'm new to the forum and not sure where to put them. So I hope it's okay for me to just post a few questions here in the new-to-Sikhism thread.

Questions:
Well, Jesus's existence is being questioned now.So would you follow someone, who may not even exist?! Anyhow, the Bible has many absurdities. It is being ripped apart by it's critics VERY easily. I would read it but not follow it, or read to find out why it is being critisized.

Gurus are not God. Sikhs believe is using logical reasoning with the help of the Guru Granth Sahib. "God speaks through <insert person> as His representative." is not the Sikh philosophy.
They bow their heads to their "pictures". they shouldn't be doing that but they do. And yes, Gurus are just teachers, if put simply. Guru means someone who guides you from darkness to light. The word Guru could be used for God as well.

You can get translations of Guru Granth Sahib online.

Would Christians allow you to sing in their churches?
A Sikh doesn't have to be a Punjabi speaker but learning Gurmukhi is highly recommended.
That thing in Islam sounds very absurd.
I apologize if my post is in the wrong thread. I am trying to get acquainted with the forum. And I thank you in advance for your help.
No problem. :)

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
You bring up an interesting point when you ask if Christians would let me sing in their churches. In fact, not many would. Converting to Sikhism renders me an infidel in most of their minds. Except a few groups like the Unitarians, which are the closest to Sikhs of any Christian group I know. They have Wiccans, Buddists, Muslims, whatever... come in their churches and share wisdom. Nice group. They'll let me be part of service. Of course I'd rather be with Sikhs but there aren't any here in my town. Well, except my friend who doesn't seem to be too excited about me becoming Sikh.

Ikk Khalsa

SPNer
Mar 19, 2013
Hello Caroline,

There is a guy name Gursant Singh and he is got his channel on youtube. He converted to Sikhism from Charitianity and I am sure he would lead you to the right way and share his experience if you could get hold of him through interent. There are other white Sikhs in States as well but they dont really practice for follow Sikh Gurus teachings. Gursant Singh recenty wrote a book about his experience of Charistianity to Sikhism.

Best of luck!!!!!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Questions:

Christianity says: In the beginning was the WORD, the WORD was with God and the WORD was God.

Understand what this WORD is, and when you read gurbani reference it to the word SHABAD, and NAAM.

this is the key to it all and this WORD/SHABAD/NAAM exists within all of us.

Question is, can this WORD, SHABAD be experienced...i think it can..i know it can ... enjoy your journey towards it...embrace all the teachings
and relish your experience of them.

The divine light that manifest within the physical gurus is the Guru, the perfect pure heart in which god resides.
this light is within us also...our inner Guru, it's just covered by our ego, lust, desire, greed and anger...start to reduce the control of these 'thieves' as Gurbani calls them, and the light starts to shine though

The Guru is the Word/Bani that we read in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji...while our focus is on the 'outside' we have this word/bani/shabad/Guru which ultimately leads us to look within...to explore our own being, our consiousness...start making these steps...and your inner Guru/WORD/Shabad comes to greet you within.

I personally would recommend the Japji Sahib...understand that and it wil make the rest of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji easier to read and understand. listen to its readings on youtube...with your earphones, eyes close...you may not uderstand whats being said, but the vibrations of the sounds will also have a healing and changing effect.

Do anything which brings a smile to the people around you...spread the love even in the face of evil in whatever way you can....be free, feel free, and listen to your inner self.

my Punjabi isnt that great :) so i listen to gurbani more...youtube videos..and i just listen to the sounds.
When i meditate, i use something simple yet extremely powerful like the shabads 'Waheguru' or 'Satnaam'...these words/vibrations contains all that one needs to connect with Guru within if you have the love, pull towards god. Keep it simple and enjoy the journey rather than overthinking of all the things you 'need' to do :)

Love your questions, please read my replies in blue above.
god bless on your spiritual journey

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This is a very old thread going back to 2008. Some participants have not returned to SPN.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM