• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Paganism Singing About Orpheus

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Gurfateh

I was just perusing ABC's Religion & Ethics and found an interesting article about musicians who have made songs about Orpheus. I am not very knowledgeable about ancient Greek gods and myths, but I'm glad I explored the article and the music. The article led to some good music and I'll share some videos of the music below.

But it got me thinking about whether there are any teachings about the "underworld" in Sikhi. I searched it at my favorite Sri Granth Sahib website. The underworld teachings of Sikhi seems like it might be a separate thread so I will separate it into a thread at New to Sikhi.

Music is a big part of my life. One of the things I love about Sikhi is how it uses music to draw people closer to experiences of the Beloved. Even if I don't know Gurmukhi, etc, I can still feel myself following the notes toward the Beloved. So I'm happy to learn about someone like Orpheus who was both a poet and musician...two of my favorite forms to work with when it comes to prayer.

japposatnamwaheguru:

I love U2. I saw them in concert in the early 80s and even touched Bono's knee when he fell out into the crowd to be help up by the audience. I named my next hamster after him, :D . U2's earliest songs contain a lot of Christian references. IE- the song Gloria by them. But I never knew this song was actually about Orpheus. It is a beautiful love song. From this perspective, I feel I have learned a valuable lesson from this. Myths contain valuable teachings on Truth. They may be poetic and based in a "story", but stories can be about Truth, too.

I am wondering if the gurus used stories for teaching and if so, where can I read them?

U2 - The Ground Beneath Her Feet

http://youtu.be/sZfBR5G8FZ8

All my life, i worshipped her
Her golden voice, her beauty's beat
How she made us feel
How she made me real
And the ground beneath her feet

And now i can't be sure of anything
Black is white, and cold is heat
For what i worshipped stole my love away
It was the ground beneath her feet
It was the ground beneath her feet

Go lightly down your darkened way
Go lightly underground
I'll be down there in another day
I won't rest until you're found

Let me love you true, let me rescue you
Let me lead you to where two roads meet
O come back above
Where there's only love

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I do respect U2 a great deal and have seen them a few times. A few years ago me and my wife went to Dublin and stayed at the Clarence where Bono's nightclub the 'Kitchen' is based and then went to see them at Slane Castle the next day!!
It was fantastic!!
I have seen many performers live and U2 are very high up on the best rated that i've seen.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
The lyrics to Gloria are awesome. My cousin showed me how this song was a prayer. Not really Christian (though it has the Latin Gloria verses), but its also universal. It is an awesome expression of the relationship a Sikh has with the Creator also. Don't you think? I put the lyrics below the video. O yay! A U2 thread!!!! Let's make a U2 thread! Wooooooo Huuuuuuuu!

Gloria by U2

U2 - Gloria - YouTube

I try to sing this song
I...I try to stand up
But I can't find my feet
I try, I try to speak up
But only in you I'm complete

Gloria...in te domine
Gloria...exultate
Gloria...Gloria
Oh Lord, loosen my lips

I try to sing this song