• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Sikhs Should Be Afraid Of Nothing!

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011
Dear Sangat ji,

I have heard it said a few times that a Sikh should be afraid of nothing. Can someone tell me more about this idea? Is there a quote from one of the Guru jis that says this? Why should we not fear? How can we overcome fear? What tools did the Guru jis give us to help us do this?

Thank you - Annie.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: Sikhs should be afraid of nothing?

Annieji,

When I read the first Pauri of Japji Sahib, my understanding is that the qualities attributed to the creator are also the the qualities I should inspire in myself.

Nirbhao- without fear.

This is an interesting question, as my biggest personal fear is in fact fear. I suppose fear is so all encompassing, that you cannot just wave a magic wand and dispel it, again, personally, I fear the following

My Death, how will my family cope
Death of my parents, how will I cope
Extreme physical pain, say from torture
Being confined to a small enclosure

and that is probably about it, how can Gurbani help me? , for the first, I see my wife as my equal, she would cope, maybe it would make her stronger, maybe she would go onto a path that could be better for her, as ordained by the creator

for the second, this is something that happens to most people, I pray that the creator give me the strength to comfort and accept the will of the creator

for the third, I have to accept that the moment will pass, and I will either be still alive or I will be dead, but to live that moment in the grace of the creator,

the fourth, is possibly the hardest one, I am claustrophobic, would be to accept that I could be dead, but I am not, try and keep calm, and focus on the creator

His name is the truth, the eternal truth, 90% of what we fear never happens, and the things that do happen, we have never even contemplated, I think they key to having no fear is accept that you will fear, but to accept that what is going to happen is the truth, and his will, and that no matter what, his will is sweet.

In humans, a lack of fear, or absence of fear means possibly a lack of bravery, as if you do not know the meaning of the word fear, how can you be brave, in fact, if you do know know the meaning of the word fear, then how can you love?

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Re: Sikhs Should Be Afraid Of Nothing?

One who does not frighten anyone, and who is not afraid of anyone
else (ਡਰਾਵਿਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਘਬਰਾਂਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ) — says Nanak, listen, mind: call him
Giaanee (spirituallt Wise, ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ ਵਾਲਾ, etc.) ||16|| (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1427).

<><><><>

The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji wants us not to scare or frighten anyone, and not to be scared or frightened of anyone else too. Thus, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji seems to suggest live and let live philosophy. God has blessed us with human body to live and let live, and to advance cooperation and selfless love. If one is fearful, then naturally he will certainly end up frightening others, and vise versa. Only if one is afraid of nothing he will not frighten anyone. Hence, "live and let" is a state of fearlessness. On the other hand, the attitude "live and let die" must rise on account of fear. Desires and fears have hand and glove relationship. They both ride in the darkness of the negativity of the defiled mind.
•ਭੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਕਉ ਦੇਤ ਨਹਿ ਨਹਿ ਭੈ ਮਾਨਤ ਆਨ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਤਾਹਿ ਬਖਾਨਿ ॥੧੬॥: Bhai kaahoo ko det nahi nahi bhai manat aan ...: One who does not frighten anyone, and who is not afraid of anyone else (ਡਰਾਵਿਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਘਬਰਾਂਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ) — says Nanak, listen, mind: call him Giaanee (spirituallt Wise, ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ ਵਾਲਾ, etc.) ||16|| (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1427).

Fearless person believes that other people should be allowed to live their lives in the way that they want to. When free of fear, one accepts other people as they are, although they may have a different way of life. He thus believes in live and let live attitude, so long people behave in a civilized way. Such person or people seem as a society to have a very live and let live attitude towards wide spectrum of issues like religion, politics, etc. Actions done under stress of fear lack reasoning and a sense of voluntarism.

What's the root cause of fear? The cause of all fears is self-grasping ignorance (false ego-sense), and all the delusions (Bikaars or negative propensities of the mind) such as lust, anger, attachments, pride, enviousness, stubborn mindedness (and their numerous variations like selfishness, untruthfulness etc.) as arise from that ignorance, as well as all the unrighteous or unskillful actions motivated by those delusions or guilt consciousness. Such delusional or fearful people are called Manmukhs in the Gurbani. Conducting themselves in the material consciousness (performing Maya's duty), they are fraught with fear.
•ਡਰਿ ਡਰਿ ਪਚੇ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਵੇਚਾਰੇ ॥: Dari dari pache manmukh vechaare: The wretched Manmukhs (one in material consciousness or unenlightened beings) are ruined through fear and dread (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 677).

Man's worst enemy is desire or carving. The notion of "I-ness" and "mine, mine" motivated by desire or craving is the soul of fear and grief. Those filled with desire and and the darkness of ignorance, no matter what they are given, they are never contented in life. Fear and desire are psychological factors that drive us from inside. These bind us to the worldly consciousness. More desires translate into more fears and more insecurity. The main hurdle in changing or improving the individual life or the world is that people are generally fearful (egoist: selfish, greedy etc.).
•ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਲਾਗੀ ਰਚਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਕੂਰਿ ॥: Trisanaa laagee rach rahiaa antar houmai koor: (Manmukhs) are engrossed in clinging desires; within their hearts there is ego and falsehood.(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 47).
•ਤਿਸਨਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਜਲੈ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥: Tisanaa agan jalai sansaaraa: The world is burning in the fire of desire (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 120).
•ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਜਾਲੇ ਸੁਧਿ ਨ ਕਾਈ ॥: Trisanaa jaale sudhh na kaaee: Consumed by desire, people have no understanding at all (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 120).
•ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਜੀਅ ਮਹਿ ਚੋਟ ॥: Kaam krodh jeea mahi chot: Lust and anger (i.e. all evil passions) are the wounds of the soul (i.e. they inspire us do evil) (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 152).
•ਆਸਾ ਬੰਧੀ ਮੂਰਖ ਦੇਹ ॥: Aasaa bandhee moorakh deh: The fools - their bodies are bound down by desires (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 178).
•ਨਾਮੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿ ਲਗੈ ਅਨ ਸੁਆਇ ॥ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਆਸ ਨ ਪੂਜੈ ਕਾਇ ॥: Naam bisaar lagai an suaai. Taa kee aas na poojai kaai: Forgetting the Naam, and attached to other tastes, no desire of his is fulfilled (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 192).
•ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਰਾਚਿ ਤਤੁ ਨਹੀ ਬੀਨਾ ॥: Trisanaa raach tatt nahee beenaa: Trapped by desire, the Reality be seen (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 225).
•ਜਾ ਕਉ ਆਇਓ ਏਕੁ ਰਸਾ ॥ ਖਾਨ ਪਾਨ ਆਨ ਨਹੀ ਖੁਧਿਆ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਬਸਾ ॥: Jaa ko aaeio ek rasaa. Khaan paan aan nahee khudhiaa taa kai chit na basaa: The desire to eat, to wear new clothes, and all other desires, do not abide in the mind of one who comes to know the subtle essence of the One Lord (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 672).
•ਜਗੁ ਮੋਹਿ ਬਾਧਾ ਬਹੁਤੀ ਆਸਾ ॥: Jagu mohi baadhaa bahuhee aasaa: The world is bound by its attachments to the many desires (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 412).
•ਬਿਨੁ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਅਵਰੁ ਜੇ ਚਾਹਉ ਦੀਸੈ ਸਗਲ ਬਾਤ ਹੈ ਖਾਮ ॥: Bin govind avar je chaaho deesai sagal baat hai khaam: Except for God, everything the man desires appears transitory (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 713).
•ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਇਸੁ ਤਨਹਿ ਜਲਾਏ ॥: Agiaan trisanaa is tanahi jalaaye: Spiritual ignorance and desire burn this human body (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1067).
•ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਜਾਲੇ ਸੁਧਿ ਨ ਕਾਈ ॥: Trisanaa jaalae sudhh n kaaee: Consumed by desire, people have no understanding at all (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 120).
•ਦਿਤੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਸੰਤੋਖੀਅਹਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਤਿਸਨਾ ਬਹੁ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅੰਧ੍ਹਾਰੁ ॥: Ditai kitai na santokheeahi antar tisanaa bahu agiaan andhyaar: Those filled with desire and darkness of ignorance, no matter what they are given, they are not satisfied (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 316).

Fear can be described by different terms in accordance with its relative degrees — Acrophobia, Arachnophobia, Agoraphobia, Belonephobia, Brontophobia, Claustrophobia, Hamartophobia, Suriphobia, Necrophobia, Pentheraphobia, Thalassophobia, Xenophobia, and so on. Also some fears may be more common than generally thought. Selfish, greedy and ignorant rulers and leaders (political , religious etc.) and find it easy to rule or manipulate people by creating fear in them. Fear gives rise to insecurity. This trait of mortals was recognized by not only by the Mahaatamaans, but also contemporary thinkers, writers and leaders.
•From what is dear, grief is born, from what is dear, fear is born. For someone freed from what is dear there is no grief — so why fear? From what is loved, grief is born, from what is loved, fear is born. For someone freed from what is loved, there is no grief — so why fear? From delight, grief is born, from delight, fear is born. For someone freed from delight there is no grief — so why fear? From sensuality, grief is born, from sensuality, fear is born. For someone freed from sensuality there is no grief — so why fear? From craving, grief is born, from craving, fear is born. For someone freed from craving there is no grief — so why fear? ( Dhammapada 212-216, a collection of sayings of the Buddha).
•Neither a man nor a crowd nor a nation can be trusted to act humanely or to think sanely under the influence of a great fear (Bertrand Russell).
•Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom (Bertrand Russell).
•The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.(Franklin Roosevelt).

How can fear be conquered? Desire and fear coexist: they both drive us into Kaarmic actions. Furthermore, the desire (Kaam) is one of the faults of the false ego-sense (I-ness or Haume). In here is the clue as to how to conquer fear. The Gurbani says, when the ego is gone desire is stilled, and fear and doubts run away. There exist all sorts of therapies of treating fear, but this is the real one. How can this therapy be realized? By becoming imbued in the spiritual essence (Naam-Simran etc.), says the Gurbani. This will also remove the fear of death. Simply put, the fearlessness is the virtue of a godly Soul. Only a truly godly Being (the Giaanee, spiritually wise or Gurmukh) will exhibit an attitude of live and let live. Let alone worldly desires, such Being even does not entertain the desire of liberation (i.e., celestial desires)! He is the embodiment of desirelessness.
•ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਬੁਝੀ ਮਮਤਾ ਗਈ ਨਾਠੇ ਭੈ ਭਰਮਾ ॥: Trisan bujhee mamataa gayee naathe bhai bharamaa: Desire is stilled, and Mamtaa (I-ness) is gone; all fears and doubt have run away (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 814).
•ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਰਸੁ ਪਾਏ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਭਉ ਜਾਏ ॥: Amrit ras paaye trisanaa bhaou jaaye: Obtaining the Naam-Amrit, desire and fear are dispelled (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji1041).
•ਇਛਸਿ ਜਮਾਦਿ ਪਰਾਭਯੰ ਜਸੁ ਸ੍ਵਸਤਿ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਕ੍ਰਿਤੰ ॥: Ishasi jamaadi paraabhayam jas svasati sukirat kiratham: If you desire to escape the fear of death, then do the good deed of praising the Lord joyfully (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 526).
•ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਪਿ ਜੀਵੇ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥: Kahu Nanak jap jeeve giaanee: Says Nanak, the spiritually wise live by meditating on God (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 806).
•ਮੁਕਤਿ ਬਪੁੜੀ ਭੀ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਤਿਆਗੇ ॥: Mukati bapurree bhee giaanee tiaage: Giaanee even renounce the desire of salvation (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1078).
•ਗਿਆਨੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਸਾਚੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਲਾਹਾ ਹੇ ॥: giaanee hovai s guramukh boojhai saachee sifath salaahaa hae: One who is spiritually wise, understands himself by becoming the Gurmukh; and he praises the True Lord (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1056).

— T. Singh
www.gurbani.org

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011

Thank you so much, everyone.
Actually I believe they've done studies and people fear public speaking more than they fear death!!!
Yes, that's me! lol

In case anyone was wondering, my biggest fears are (in no particular order): public speaking, rejection, feeling trapped in a situation or a physical place, and the fear that something bad will happen to ruin things if my life starts going too well. Needless to say, I would love to get rid of these fears.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Thank you so much, everyone.

Yes, that's me! lol

In case anyone was wondering, my biggest fears are (in no particular order): public speaking, rejection, feeling trapped in a situation or a physical place, and the fear that something bad will happen to ruin things if my life starts going too well. Needless to say, I would love to get rid of these fears.

Annieji, public speaking is an easy one, I used to have that fear, but all you do is imagine everyone is sitting down completely naked, (you can use a mental towel for the really grotesque people), and that helps enormously,

but seriously, i can completely relate to the fear something bad will happen to ruin things, I have used that one as an excuse to stop me getting ahead, and just coast for a while, it is interesting to note that a deep love of the creator and a deep faith in yourself as a product of creation, would allay most of your fears, as probably they would me too!

Rejection is a funny one, I deal with this one, by accepting the love of the creator in everything I come across, be it the dogs, the ferrets, the look of a stranger, it is everywhere, little signs that you are loved and cherished by creation, when my dog licks my face, it is the creator telling me I am loved, when the chap from the music shop throws in a few chocolate bars, it is the creator again, when the butcher next door, comes in and steals the chocolate bars as my wife has told him I shouldnt eat to much chocolate, again it is the creator, showing me how much I am loved, if you take note of all the signs, every day, of all the love that the creator has, and you know that the one thing that cannot reject you is the creator that created you, that helps

:happykudi:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
re: Sikhs Should Be Afraid of Nothing

My fears are of failure, making mistakes, and causing trouble for others.

Growing up from the ages of 8 to about 20 I had obsessive compulsive disorder. It originated (I believe) from some crap that happened when I was a child. From the age of 8 I had compulsive hand-washing. Grew out of it slowly and from the age of 11 it was only certain objects which, if touched, would require hand washing. By 14 it turned into not worrying about myself but worrying about others. My mum is very superstitious and instilled in me two very bad superstitions:

1. what you fear comes near (that law of attraction thingy)
2. to touch wood to stop something bad happening

I got to the point I was convinced my mum would die if I didn't say a particular chant and touch my wooden bedside table before sleep. Then I would start thinging about my causing my mum's death through my negligence and would have to touch the table again. And again. It got to the point when I was 14 or 15 I was sleeping with a toothpick in my hand so I was always touching wood. Cu-coo! Cu-coo! Ishna is cra-zey!

Then I grew out of that and into other compulsions, like checking all the light switches, checking all the taps, making sure all the doors were lined up in particular ways.

It took me until at least the age of 20 before I realised that "what will be will be" and that I had no power over anything and these superstitions were utterly stupid. I had to put my faith in something ELSE because I was not the centre of all occurrances.

My faith in hukam is my number one comfort these days. It has helped my marriage hold together because it puts in me a sense of acceptance and the confidence to do my best and leave the rest.

One of my other fears which I'd love to discuss but doesn't warrant its own topic is, I'm scared to count my blessings in case they are taken away. I've got this idea in my head that it's happened to me before, I've said out loud that I'm thankful for something, and then it's been taken away. So I only pray blanket thank-yous and never thank-you for any specific thing. Which annoys me because I really like the idea of gratitude prayers and that they're probably the only real prayer we can offer, but I'm too scared. *hides *

When it comes to fear of something like death, two interesting things:

1. I used to get a bit scared when I first got a motorbike. But my ex and my uncle put me straight by saying: if your times up, you'll die no matter what you're doing. All you can do is ride safe and hope for the best. And also, at least you're doing something you really enjoy when you go!

2. I was having a nightmare the other night (I think I must have stopped breathing in my sleep or something and it came through in the dream) that a crazy robot policeman was trying to paralyse my heart (see, Ishna really is cra-zey! teehee). And in the dream I was aware of not being able to breathe, my heart stopping, my body exploding, and I started saying "Waheguru Waheguru" and focussing on Naam as I was dying. There wasn't fear of death but rather anticipation for the meeting. I was glad for that, but still woke up then with the sweats!

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011

Harry Haller ji,
Thank you. I admire the way you seem to have come out of your hard protective shell, and help people here with your experience.

Soul Jyot ji,
Thank you so much, what you wrote makes a lot of sense.

Gyani Jarnail Singh ji,
Sometimes fear of death is really fear of the unknown. The more sure one is of Waheguru, the less they fear.

Ishna ji,
Aaawwwww... kaurhug
You're doing great for someone who has been through so much.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Annie ji, are you finding any of your fears in particular difficult to manage, hence your post, or are you just curious about the topic?

I like your observation about fear of death being fear of the unknown. I think people fear the process of death, and the prospect of nothingness after death. I can't imagine what people who have no faith feel about death. I hope our atheist friends here can expand on that idea, please.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Bhenji's,

having spent 10 years in the atheist camp, although I would toy with the idea that even an atheist needs a god not to believe in.

I would doubt any atheist on his deathbed is 100% sure that he is about to be nothing, in fact, looking back, my atheism was more a hatred of god than a denial of god.

However as an atheist, death did not scare me, it only allowed me to prove the point that all there was afterwards was dust, death is a release from living, I find living in some ways more scary than death!

After my last heart attack, lying in the room just before the op room, I could hear my mother loudly praying from the room further up, I stubbornly refused to speak to god, or acknowledge god in any way shape or form, but it was in a childish manner, I was talking to god, but I was telling god that I would not be asking for any help,

Atheists are in some ways better than us believers, they act in the same way, are good and kind, but do it on moral and personal grounds rather than following a god given code of conduct, I know when I was atheist, and indeed my first thread here, was atheism is the ultimate sikhi, as I firmly believed that in the absence of trying to please god, and just doing, you were a better person, and to some extent, I still believe that, but I have reconciled that by adopting humility, which kind of makes all things equal

However, fear is a funny word, I feared more as an atheist and as an egoist, I fear less now, as I feel I am attempting to place myself in the trust of the creator

but then you know what they say, what we have to fear is fear itself

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011

Annie ji, are you finding any of your fears in particular difficult to manage, hence your post, or are you just curious about the topic?
Ishna ji,

That's a really good question. Both, really. I'm intrigued by the idea that Sikhs could be fearless. It means that I could possibly learn to be fearless too.

Which of my fears is unmanageable? That's hard to put into words. It's sort of a general uneasiness and nervousness. A friend of mine put it well when she said I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop - meaning I always have a fear in the back of my mind that something bad could happen at any time. I was not this way when I was younger. I became this way over the course of a five year long abusive relationship. That relationship ended seven years ago, and although I learned and grew a lot, healing from it has been incredibly, frustratingly slow. I can't blame it all on him any more because there comes a point when I have to take responsibility for myself and stop thinking like a victim.

Whew, I guess old Annie is cra-zee too. ;)

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Bhenji, I'm sorry to hear about your abusive relationship. motherlylove It's really good you're free of it now.

I can only speculate as I don't have much experience with these issues, sorry!

Background anxiety... I can relate to that, I'm a very anxious person myself but that's just the way I'm made. I do find I get more anxious when I'm hormonal - maybe you can get your hormone levels checked out? It's good to make sure you've got a clean bill of health, as vitamin deficiencies can also contribute to a feeling of malaise, or so I've read.

I get so anxious at times I don't know what to do with myself! I've also had a couple of panic attacks.

Over the recent past few months, when I'm feeling anxious, I try to take a step back in my mind and say to myself "ok, so I'm feeling anxious, I accept that, but it doesn't have to define me. I am not what I'm feeling." And I find that helps. I have to keep reminding myself though, to take that step back and see a difference between "me" and "my feelings". See if you can try this?

I think I might have an idea of the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" sensation. A "too-good-to-be-true", nothing good can happen without something bad... I think this is a "control" problem. I imagine abusive relationships would take away your sense of control, the world is dictated by the other person. You might have been living on eggshells, wondering if a step to the left would incite your partner's wrath, so you over-analyse every single thought and every action because whatever you say or do brings with it the (very real in that relationship) threat of a negative reaction from your partner.

Perhaps you're still waiting for the negative reaction?

I think the best way to get around this kind of anxiety is to learn more about the Sikh concept of Hukam. You have no control. When you think you do, and it's proven to you that you don't, you suffer. You need to realise that whatever will happpen, will happen. Do your best and leave the rest to Hukam. Accept what the hukam brings you, and work with it.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=70&L=10&id=2830 You might like this Shabad.

This one is also good, soothing anxiety and putting it into the context of releasing the reins to Waheguru:

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ
माझ महला ५ ॥
Mājẖ mėhlā 5.
Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਪਿਤਾ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਤਾ
तूं मेरा पिता तूंहै मेरा माता ॥
Ŧūʼn merā piṯā ṯūʼnhai merā māṯā.
You are my Father, and You are my Mother.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਬੰਧਪੁ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਭ੍ਰਾਤਾ
तूं मेरा बंधपु तूं मेरा भ्राता ॥
Ŧūʼn merā banḏẖap ṯūʼn merā bẖarāṯā.
You are my Relative, and You are my Brother.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਰਾਖਾ ਸਭਨੀ ਥਾਈ ਤਾ ਭਉ ਕੇਹਾ ਕਾੜਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥
तूं मेरा राखा सभनी थाई ता भउ केहा काड़ा जीउ ॥१॥
Ŧūʼn merā rākẖā sabẖnī thā▫ī ṯā bẖa▫o kehā kāṛā jī▫o. ||1||
You are my Protector everywhere; why should I feel any fear or anxiety? ||1||

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਤੁਧੁ ਪਛਾਣਾ
तुमरी क्रिपा ते तुधु पछाणा ॥
Ŧumrī kirpā ṯe ṯuḏẖ pacẖẖāṇā.
By Your Grace, I recognize You.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰੀ ਓਟ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਣਾ
तूं मेरी ओट तूंहै मेरा माणा ॥
Ŧūʼn merī ot ṯūʼnhai merā māṇā.
You are my Shelter, and You are my Honor.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤੁਝ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਕੋਈ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਖੇਲੁ ਅਖਾੜਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
तुझ बिनु दूजा अवरु न कोई सभु तेरा खेलु अखाड़ा जीउ ॥२॥
Ŧujẖ bin ḏūjā avar na ko▫ī sabẖ ṯerā kẖel akẖāṛā jī▫o. ||2||
Without You, there is no other; the entire Universe is the Arena of Your Play. ||2||

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਸਭਿ ਤੁਧੁ ਉਪਾਏ
जीअ जंत सभि तुधु उपाए ॥
Jī▫a janṯ sabẖ ṯuḏẖ upā▫e.
You have created all beings and creatures.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਜਿਤੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਭਾਣਾ ਤਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਲਾਏ
जितु जितु भाणा तितु तितु लाए ॥
Jiṯ jiṯ bẖāṇā ṯiṯ ṯiṯ lā▫e.
As it pleases You, You assign tasks to one and all.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਤਾ ਤੇਰਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਅਸਾੜਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
सभ किछु कीता तेरा होवै नाही किछु असाड़ा जीउ ॥३॥
Sabẖ kicẖẖ kīṯā ṯerā hovai nāhī kicẖẖ asāṛā jī▫o. ||3||
All things are Your Doing; we can do nothing ourselves. ||3||

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇ ਮਹਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ
नामु धिआइ महा सुखु पाइआ ॥
Nām ḏẖi▫ā▫e mahā sukẖ pā▫i▫ā.
Meditating on the Naam, I have found great peace.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਸੀਤਲਾਇਆ
हरि गुण गाइ मेरा मनु सीतलाइआ ॥
Har guṇ gā▫e merā man sīṯlā▫i▫ā.
Singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, my mind is cooled and soothed.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਵਜੀ ਵਾਧਾਈ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਤਾ ਬਿਖਾੜਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੨੪॥੩੧॥
गुरि पूरै वजी वाधाई नानक जिता बिखाड़ा जीउ ॥४॥२४॥३१॥
Gur pūrai vajī vāḏẖā▫ī Nānak jiṯā bikẖāṛā jī▫o. ||4||24||31||
Through the Perfect Guru, congratulations are pouring in-Nanak is victorious on the arduous battlefield of life! ||4||24||31|| </td></tr></tbody></table>
When we talk about Sikhs not being fearless, I think a lot of that comes from when Sikhs were in battle with Guruji, against real enemies. You have to be fearless when you're 40 men against hundreds.

I can't speak about it because I'm ignorant, I'm not a soldier.

But I can imagine, if you get yourself to a state of mind where you realise everything is the creative soup and whether you live or die you're still in the soup, it may take away some degree of fear.

I'll try to remember that when I'm paralised outside by a lightning storm... hahaha! So much easier said than done, those Sikhs fighting with Guruji must have been so inspired!

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011

Thank you, Ishna ji. You're very wise.

Hukam. Yes, I definitely believe there is hukam, but I can't help thinking that we are meant to consciously do our part too. Otherwise we would be like those pathetic people we see every once in a while, who gave up on themselves and life. Waheguru gently (and sometimes not so gently) teaches us lessons so we can evolve.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Sikhs Should Be Afraid of Nothing

I have moved the thread to General Discussion and out of New to Sikhism. New to Sikhism should be a place where basics/fundamentals of Sikhi are presented to those who are exploring Sikhi at an early stage. This discussion, while interesting, focuses more on the personal experiences and emotional reactions of a variety of individuals, including some Sikhs. The content is not particularly grounded in SGGG or rehat maryada. A shabad has been quoted and hukam has been mentioned, but the question of fear hasn't been cast in the context of the shabad.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006

Sorry Spnadmin ji, I'm probably not the best when it comes to staying on topic, and I do tend to throw shabads around on impulse probably without understanding them.

Annie ji, too true what you've said about some people just giving up on life. That's why I said we can do our best and leave the rest to hukam. It's no good to be anxious over what we actually don't have control over, and this realisation can bring peace, I think.

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011

Thank you, Spnadmin ji. I thought I posted this in the right section but I guess I was wrong.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

No worries. Sometimes members who see themselves as "new" to Sikhism post in New to Sikhism, and there is an intuitive logic to that choice. It is not a big deal to move a thread for me once I can see which way it is headed. Most of the time anyone, even if you are new, can post in any of the subforums. :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Ishna ji,

That's a really good question. Both, really. I'm intrigued by the idea that Sikhs could be fearless. It means that I could possibly learn to be fearless too.

Which of my fears is unmanageable? That's hard to put into words. It's sort of a general uneasiness and nervousness. A friend of mine put it well when she said I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop - meaning I always have a fear in the back of my mind that something bad could happen at any time. I was not this way when I was younger. I became this way over the course of a five year long abusive relationship. That relationship ended seven years ago, and although I learned and grew a lot, healing from it has been incredibly, frustratingly slow. I can't blame it all on him any more because there comes a point when I have to take responsibility for myself and stop thinking like a victim.

Whew, I guess old Annie is cra-zee too. ;)

Thats ok Annieji, on the whole, I only try and interact with cra-zee types, I find they make more sense!

People always assume that abusive relationships only involve women, but they involve men too, namely me, I can confirm that it can be hugely difficult to shake off the cloak of martyrdom, the one thing that I remember clearly is that everything was my fault, and also, the more you let someone behave badly, the more they will behave badly, its like some people cannot help themselves, like they are in a trance or just cannot believe that someone will take all the crap and not put an ice pick in the back of their head, and it is incredibly hard to shake off all the feelings that everything wrong is your fault.

I will let you into my own reasons I still find it hard, and if you can make some sense of them, great!

It is a battle, a battle between doing it all the same way again, or changing. I don't wish to change, I like being who I am, I reacted in those days as a good person would react, although some might say a fool, however, that is who I am, you give those you love every chance to redeem themselves, and I suppose some might say that is foolish.

Dont change Annieji, be yourself and accept that it was another in the wrong not you, and when the ghosts from the past come to visit, to try and distort a situation, to try and make you think you are going cra-zee, think hard, if its a warning bell, then fair enough, but more often than not, for people like us, it is just ghosts from the past, you sound like a good person, with a good heart, accept that you were abused, but do not accept that it was your fault for being good enough to try and change an abuser , and don't stop being the wonderful person you have become, as the danger is those ghosts could kill off a beautiful thing

Although I am far from being in an abusive relationship now, I try and give freely using Waheguru to fill my heart as well as filling it with my wife's love so that there is plenty in reserve to dole out when needed

hope that helps

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM