• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

World Sikhs Killing Sikhs

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
I don't know if this is the proper forum because this is my first new thread. I am deeply disturbed by what has been reported by the BBC about Sikhs killing each other. It has been characterized as sectarian violence. What can be so dire in religious matters that it should result in violence. I have been a member of this site for more than a minute and I am shocked and disappointed. First murder in Vienna and now rioting in Punjab. I must have been very naive.

Peace
Satyaban

May 24, 2008
Re: Sikhs killing Sikhs !!!???

Curfew in Jalandhar as tempers flare over Vienna incident

Anju Agnihotri Chaba Posted: Monday , May 25 ,2009

discussion_bot_bg1.gif

Jalandhar:

Curfew imposed in Jalandhar district as tension prevailed after the news of the Vienna attack on the Dera Sachkhand head spread here on Sunday.

Confirming the curfew imposition, Inspector General of Police, Jalandhar zone, Sanjiv Kalra said the situation was precarious as there were roadblocks everywhere and several incidents of arson were reported. SSP R K Jaiswal said extra force was being called to control the situation.

Violence was reported from many parts of the city as soon as the news broke. While three trucks and three buses were set on fire in Buta Mandi and near Focal Point area, an SBI ATM was burnt down near Ravidas Chowk. Traffic was blocked in Phagwara, and at Pathankot Chowk a large number of dera followers assembled, attacked various vehicles and beat up a man very badly.

The Shatabadi Express was also stopped at Jalandhar city railway station.

Apr 9, 2009

Dear Satyaban,

The sporadic violent incidents involving homicide are
not limited only to the Sikh community.

There is a lot of political and caste violence in India
and other developing countries. In the developed world
as well, especially the US and Canada, the serious gun
crimes that kill innocent people often make headlines.

As sensible and intelligent individuals we should all
study the causes of senseless violence and try to
make a difference whenever we can to curb it.

At the same time, we should see to it that
condemnation of such incidents, as reprehensible
as they are, doesn't push us further towards
self-hatred.

May 24, 2008

The voilence is happening on a very large scale similar or even bigger than Dera Controversy . This is certainly some organised effort . Also almost all the Sants / Babas distort Gurbani , there is nothing new in it . But killing a Sant / Baba for misinterpreting Gurbani is very unbelievable explanation . There is something more than what meets the eye . Some politics in this killing also ???????.. Maybe who knows ?

May 25, 2009
What i do not understand is why is it that the Most Extreme of Sikhs have the loudest voice in almost all Places of the World? I have grown up in Canada and am 22 Years of age and for 21 of those years have paid little attention to the Sikh faith because I can not read or write in the Punjabi Language. Recently I have been trying to learn as much as a can about Sikhism because I believe it is my duty to pass it on to my children and for them to do the same because it is probably what my parents would have wanted me to do. I have met many people that follow Sikhism very close and they always seem very extreme and their cultural beliefs conflict with my personal values. Well in my so far 2 month expedition to learn more about my Religion I have interpreted that the Sikh religion in a way that seems very Liberal in my eyes. I have read lots about our Gurus and i can not understand how extreme elements are so rampant with our so called smart elders who pass this information to us? It seems that the elders are more eager to make sure we respect their Indian values more then the Sikh values that we should be respecting. what I have learned about the SIKH religion so far probably Reflects more with the Average Canadian Person of any race's Values more then any other Religion but the wrong people are spreading this information to us. i would really like to know if there is a English translation of the Guru Granth Sahib so i can read it and interpret it in my own way.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my OP. I am well aware of the violence mentioned by Mystic_Void but that is not what I am speaking of. I want to why the recent spate of violence occurred in the Sikh community. What line was crossed that started all of this to include the killing in Vienna. The eruption of violence and arson in Punjab indicate this outrage was simmering just under the surface. As I remarked in my OP I must be very naive because I thought Sikhs were above caste issues and that Sikh logic was too mature for this hence my disappoint.

Pray for peace
Satyaban

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Satyaban ji

Mystique_void ji was not necessarily disagreeing with you but making a related point. As for your questions -- I believe that adherence to the caste system is a major part of this controversy in Vienna and also in India. Political influence rather than adherence to Sikh values lighting the flames as well as strike and counterstrike. But Mystique_void was extending his understanding to show how broader causes of violence have poisoned these communities also and they need to be combatted with intelligence and deeper understanding.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: