• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

SALDEF Sikhs Barred From Oregon And Pennsylvania Schools

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
My opinion and then I will be quiet again.

The case being brought by Sikhs is going to be a landmark case because it will test two contradictory aspects of the 1rst Amendment of the US Constitution. Freedom of students to be protected from the establishment of religion in the form of religious "messages" by a state employee who is wearing religious garb (1) versus the employees freedom to express his/her religious faith by wearing religious garb (2).

Now when you think about it...the School Code prohibition against the wearing of religious garb by teachers is ridiculous. The rational for this measure is that teachers wield immense psychological power over students by virtue of their professional role. The 1st Amendment prohibits the establishment of a state religion. Teachers as state employees therefore would, by wearing religious garb, impose their religious beliefs on their students -- who are theoretically helpless to resist the influence of garb and other indications of religion. What makes this nonsense IMHO is that there are many other influences on children that are more powerful than teachers in the US today.

Are there any recorded cases of school students changing their religious adherence because of the garb worn in real-time by influential people in their lives? Peers, television, particularly cable television, as well as motion pictures compete with church and family for this kind of influence. In fact celebrity culture competes with teachers, family and church. Many argue that media is form of mind control that instigates all kinds of social ills. I won't enumerate. Media, the Internet and celebrity culture are today probably more likely to influence children than schools -- sorry to say.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Narayanjot Ji,

Many thanks for the information. This actuallt seems to be a criminal offense...

I actually think this is more indicative of an attitude than of specific cases, whether in school or praying in the legislature.

Actually, my experience with government is that I would accept prayers to any concept of the Deity as a possible improvement.

Chardi kala! :ice:

Yes! It is a "federal offense" as well as a violation of the state constitution.

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
I faintly remember having read somewhere that Rajneesh (Osho) and his followers had started exerting tremendous influence on youngsters of Oregon and possibly Pennsylvania in the late 80's and I think they were deported to India during Reagen administration.

Am I right with this impression? If yes, could this be the reason for such a ban?

Harbans Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Yes, Rajneesh really made a mess of things in Oregon back in the early to mid 1980s. He might be the impetous to this rather strange law in Oregon, a state which is usually quite tolerant of differences. He was arrested and deprted in 1985 or 1986, I think. That would have been during the Reagan Regime. I never heard about him doing mischief in Pennsylvania, though.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
harbansj24

I don't remember anything about Osho in Pennsylvania. But the School Code dates back to approximately 1890 and the provisions that forbid religious garb predate Osho. They have been part of the code for around 30 years. Groups that lobby against religious expression in schools tend to be 1rst Amendment purists and not members of religious orgazniations.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
New from SALDEF:

Support Religious Freedom in Oregon!

July 14, 2009 (Washington, DC) – Today, the Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund (SALDEF) — the oldest Sikh American civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States — urged Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski to veto a bill that rubber-stamps a state law that forbids public school teachers from wearing any form of religious clothing.
The Oregon Workplace Religious Freedom Act (SB 786), which was passed by the Oregon legislature last May, contemplates greater religious freedom for employees but ironically exempts public schools from its coverage. This is significant because Oregon law forbids individuals from wearing “any religious dress while engaged in the performance of duties as a teacher.” As a result, even if SB 786 is signed into law, observant Sikh Americans would still be barred from working as teachers in the public schools of Oregon because of their religiously-mandated dastaars (turbans), and observant Jews and Muslims would also be subjected to the ignominy of having to choose between religious freedom and a teaching career in the State of Oregon.
This gaping hole in SB 786 constitutes a major step backward and simply cannot be reconciled with the spirit behind robust workplace religious freedom legislation.
TAKE ACTION
Please contact the Oregon Governor’s Citizens’ Representative Message Line at (503) 378-4582, or write to him directly, and tell him to veto SB 786. Please ask him to ensure that the Oregon Workplace Religious Freedom Act protects all citizens in the State of Oregon, including public school teachers.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Mai ji
Lovely! You couldn't be more right about those two having more diametrically opposed POVs' (though I'm hard pressed to know what Als are; I just know that, as a Liberal Jew, they can't be anything at all like Robertsons :}8-:!).
If you'd like to know more about my own 'Maya Free' spiritual education, which I was also very blessed to have recieved (I actually had a white streak appear in my hair, while communing with God in the transcendant state), then you can find seevral descriptions of it in my other posts (I don't know if you can search by JimRinX); especially my Introducing Myself entry #1 and sevarl other where I've DARED to give others some Spiritual Advice.
The 'Rin', in JimRinX, is for Rinpoche, you see; and I'm not being immodest, it was a Buddhist friends idea, and I was Quite Honored. The 'X' is for Malcolm X; as, though i'm a white guy, I was also betrayed by the 'Black Supremacists' - while battling the NAZIs' (their negative actions helped the KKK grow themselves by 58% between 2000 & 2008; per www.SPLCenter.org), no less; so I decided to adopt Malcoms 'X' to kind of give them 'the finger'!
As far as Intoxicants are concerned; I too wish I could do without Drugs of the kind I currently take, but I have Arthritis and a Neuropathy, and the Pain would destroy me.
It already, some days, makes me more 'evil' than I wish to be!
Here's the Good News, though.
When I quit Oxycontin and Methadone, I did so by EATING Medical Marijuana - not smoking it!
Eating it does NOT Intoxicate you!:crazy: Honest!:thumbup:
Unfortunately; while Cannabis is very good (better than anything! I know, I've tried it all!) for Neuropathic Pain - it doesn't do much for Arthritis, as that's largely Inflamation based, and Cannabis will not reduce the swelling that makes Arthritis Hurt so badly.
Got to go!:cool:

BazGrewal

SPNer
Sep 17, 2010
I actually did not realize that even in the United States there were states that did not allow religious symbols. This is an interesting article and I'm sure that various Sikh groups will work to amend these policies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM