• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hinduism Sikhs A Sect Of Hindus : A Korean Newspaper Claims

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200405/21/200405212242471339900090109012.html

A stereotype overcome as a Sikh leads

We often mistake a big, glaring-eyed giant wearing a turban as a typical Indian. But the villain in the 007 series is in fact a Sikh. They make up only 2 percent of the 1 billion population of India. India is a melting pot of religion, and the Hindus, 80 percent of the population, do not wear turbans. In spite of their small numbers, the minority Sikhs came to be known as typical Indians because of their unique appearance and strong personalities, which leave a vivid impression. Sikhism is a unique religion.
"Sikh" means a pupil or disciple in an ancient Indian language. Sikhism emerged in the Punjab region, the cradle of an ancient civilization in the upper Indus, in the 15th century. The religion is a combination of monotheistic Islam and polytheistic Hinduism.

When Guru Nanak Devi Ji came to India, he created Sikhism as a third way in order to spread Islam and relieve the religious tension with the Hindus in the region. By accepting the monotheism of Islam, the Sikhs deny the Hindu caste system under the name of "equality before God." But the faith of transmigration, the core of Hinduism, survived. Today, Sikhism is considered a sect of Hinduism.

As a result of religious oppression and resistance, the Sikhs turned hostile. When a guru, the highest leader of the religion, died a martyr while opposing Islam in the 17th century, the Sikhs vowed revenge. All Sikhs who went through a special ceremony wore a turban and a metal bracelet on their right wrists and always carried a dagger next to their chests as symbols of their pledge. They were given the title Singh, meaning a lion.
In 1984, India's prime minister, Indira Gandhi, ordered the occupation of the Golden Temple, a holy shrine of the Sikhs. She was later assassinated by her own Sikh bodyguards. Furious at the death of their leader, Hindus indiscriminately slaughtered anyone wearing a turban.

The daughter-in-law of Indira Gandhi is Sonia Gandhi, whose party recently won India's parliamentary elections. She refused the post of prime minister and recommended Manmohan Singh, a Sikh. Mr. Singh would be the first non-Hindu prime minister in India.

The emergence of a Sikh prime minister is perhaps even more striking than Sonia Gandhi's decision not to claim the family's nearly hereditary leadership.

by Oh Byung-sang <obsang@joongang.co.kr>

The writer is the London correspondent of the JoongAng Ilbo

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Jee(Ideal Singh),

No one can debase we Sikhs without our consent. What others say should not matter to we Sikhs; we know Sikhism is one of the major religion of the world and it is recognised that way. The book I puchased last is 'The Philip's World Atlas'.This book is published in collaboration with Royal Geographic Society. Some details of each country are inclued in it in text form. For India it says that it is the birth place for three major religions of the world - Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism.

What is meant by Core of the religion; can it be identified by just one attribute? You know all the religions of the world have 'Truth' as a core entity, that does not mean that all the other religions of the world become sects of a particular religion. All religion believe in God does that mean they all are subsects.

The core attributes are those which change the life of the individuals who follow that religion as compared to that of the followers of other religion.

For Sikh religion the core consists of many elements 'Naam Japana', 'Wand Shakana', 'Kirt Karna' and 'Sewa Sambhal', 'Nirakaar Karta Purakh', 'Ek Onkar' and many more. Each of this leads to a philosophy which makes the life of a Sikh different from the the followers of other religions. This is what distinguishes Sikhism from other. Five Ks are external attributes which create synergy within the Sikh Panth. Sikhism is a self sustaining comprehensive religion, it does not take sustenance frome any other source. It is a Major Religion of the world.

We Sikhs should not get influenced by what other say; our own foundations should be robust, we must know our values and beliefs.

With Love and Respect for all

Amarpal

Jun 1, 2004
Fateh Amarpal Ji,

Your comments certainly help...:)

And thanks for exploring into Inter-Faith Section in this forum... this surely helps too...:)

Let me continue the debate... Don't you think we should try to penetrate into world community and let the world know what Sikhism is all about ? What are you views about propagating Sikh Religion amonst masses ?

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Jee(sikhphilosophy),

There is a lot that we need to explain to our own fellow Sikhs. If we succeed in this objective, each one of them will become an ambassador for Sikhism. I am for consolidation of our religion within our own Sikh masses first. Those who belong to other religion are not of any concern to me.

In the posting above, I have only tried to convey to our fellow Sikhs that we should not just accept any yard stick that others try to hand over to us; invariable these are designed to favour their own view point. We do not have to answer every question others may put. True, we must take note of the issues raised and firm up our own thinking.

Just having large number is not the indication of Major Religion. It is the depth of understanding about the religion among the followers and the type of society it creates that says all.

It is my considered view that we must explain Sikhism to Sikhs first.

With Love and Respect for all.

Amarpal

kilemba

SPNer
Mar 17, 2008
It is unfortunate that people can claim that Sikhism is a sect of hinduism. We live in a sceptical time and we as Sikhs have to up hold the virtues of Khalsa and SGGS . Even in history worldwide we find that the Sikh pioneers have been banded together, and not recognised for their deeds and accomplishments.

Sikhism has been and always be different and seperate from Hinduism

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Dear Khalsa Jee(sikhphilosophy),

There is a lot that we need to explain to our own fellow Sikhs. If we succeed in this objective, each one of them will become an ambassador for Sikhism. I am for consolidation of our religion within our own Sikh masses first. Those who belong to other religion are not of any concern to me.

In the posting above, I have only tried to convey to our fellow Sikhs that we should not just accept any yard stick that others try to hand over to us; invariable these are designed to favour their own view point. We do not have to answer every question others may put. True, we must take note of the issues raised and firm up our own thinking.

Just having large number is not the indication of Major Religion. It is the depth of understanding about the religion among the followers and the type of society it creates that says all.

It is my considered view that we must explain Sikhism to Sikhs first.

With Love and Respect for all.

Amarpal

Guru Piayario Jio,
Amarpal Singh Ji,
Gurfateh.

absolutely right ji. I would go as far as to say that 90% of "Sikhs" dont know exactly what "Sikhism" is. Our First priority should be to TEACH SIKHS SIKHISM...we cant and shouldnt worry about "others". With such a large percentage of Sikhs not having a clue about Sikhism/Gurmatt/Gurbani...we have our work cut out for us...this is also exactly where the Sikh Parchaar Organsiations like the SGPC/Takhats/ Khalsa Schools etc have failed us...and such large numbers of "Sikhs" also go to DERAS and are completley at ease with THAT !!! even going to Radha Soami Dera Beas, Sacha Sauda Dera, Asutosh, Noormehl, etc etc is still OK to many "Sikhs"..so what ??? does that make me an "unsikh" or apostate ?? Mnay "Sikhs" i came across think nothing about praying at GRAVES of MUSLIM PIRS..hindu shrines..etc etc - they still think they are GOOD SIKHS !!! THIS is the major problem..Sikhs dont know SIKHI.

Warmest regards

Gyani jarnail Singh

indianx

SPNer
May 6, 2008
This is a pretty prevalent misconception outside India and to an extent, in India, as well. It is largely due to ignorance of the historical complexities of the religions that developed in India, but, unfortunately, a few Hindus also make the mistake of closely associating those religions with Hinduism. Most of us Tamil Shaivites don't make that error. We respect the commonalities that are present in our traditions, while being aware of the marked differences.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM