• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Sikhism - Christianity - Big Differences !

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Dear All,

These are a series of Articles by Dr Baldev Singh, published in Sikh Spectrum and Sikh Virsa.

It is essentially a SIKH rejoinder to a Christian misionary's misinterpretation and misrepresentation of Sikhism and its Gurmat Philosophy.

I hope the readers of SPN enjoy this write up.

Responding to Reverend Zekveld’s
“A Comparison between the Two Credos: Christian and Sikh”
Updated Version

Baldev Singh
316 R Glad Way, Collegeville, PA 19426, USA
EMail:baldev6@aol.com

Abstracts

Sikhism has been distorted in literature largely because of the influence of Vedantic philosophy to represent it as part of Hinduism. Now some Christian theologians are using this flawed literature to compare Christianity with Sikhism. In contrast to that we know that Aad Guru Granth Sahib (AGGS) is the only authentic source to understand the Nanakian Philosophy (gurmiq, Gurmat). According to AGGS, Guru Nanak rejected all the essentials of Hinduism: incarnation of God, caste system, transmigration, karma, hell, heaven, gods, goddesses, and idol worship. Guru Nanak also rejected the method or approach of attaining salvation preached by the Semitic and the Indian religions. Moreover, while the fundamentalist Christians oppose the teaching of evolution even in the twenty-first century, Guru Nanak discussed and imparted credence to the subject of evolution of life about five hundred years ago, roughly 350 years before Charles Darwin. Furthermore, while the custodians of Christianity were investing despots with “divine rights” and the Hindu elite was hailing them as Ishwro va Dillishwro va (the king of Delhi is as great as God); Guru Nanak denounced them and their allies in no uncertain terms. He called for the establishment of just rule¾Halemi Raj (the rule of humility and benevolence). Nanakian philosophy postulates that the ultimate source of spiritual as well as temporal power is Godhead.

Introduction

In September 2004 Colonel G.B. Singh, the author of Gandhi: Behind the Mask of Divinity came across a Web site, “Hope for Sikhs” operated by Reverend Tony Zekveld, Canada-based missionary. Expectedly his motives were to witness the Sikhs for the purposes of converting them to Christianity. G.B. Singh persuaded the Reverend to have an open debate on the Bible--God, soul, and heaven etc. on the pages of Sikh Spectrum, an online publication. At that time G.B. Singh asked me to add my comments on these topics from the perspective of Nanakian philosophy. This particular article is an updated version of my <U><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">“<A href="http://www.sikhspectrum.com/112005/tz.htm">A Comparison Between the Two Credos: Christian and Sikh: Rejoinder to Rev. Tony Zekveld.”

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Good find Gyani ji

When I have a little more time this week I want to respond in detail. The differences are very great in spite of some similarities. Bhai Baldev can be controversial too -- So that will be good mental exercise for us. thank you.

:yes:

May 14, 2008
I heard that the progression of incarnations in Vaishnava Hinduism follows the same pattern as evolution. But thats interesting When i get around to it I'll read the Granth Sahib.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Leaders Note:

This thread has been moved back to Hard Talk. Threads with content that carried over from threads related to Sikhism and Hinduism have been removed. They have been transferred to a new thread posted to Interfaith Dialogs - Sikhism, Hinduism, and Sanatan Dharam.

Reason: relevance to title thread. Posting discussions from unrelated threads is a form of spamming. In the future any posts that unrelated to the content of this thread will be either moved or deleted without notice. Thank you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji

It depends on whether it is clear that you are being your usual ironic self, or whether you have bull-dozed a path in a different direction. ;)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM