• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism And Issues With Hindu Influence And Janamshakis

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
I would read Guru Granth Sahib Ji and apply it's teachings, and ask for Gods guidance on these issues later on if you don't trust the stories

What do you mean by guidance, I mean in Sikhism I am pretty sure we don't believe in a personal God such in Christianity with an ahtropormphic god type of style, but we believe in an impersonal God, but is personal through metaphors as we describe it as our "mother", "sister", "father", and "brother". I am just saying that these Janamshaki's should be taken with a grain of salt, as they were written decades after his death, and these are involved with petty miracles and superstition. Guru Nanak Dev Ji told us not to believe in these type of things. but to have trust in Whaeguru. I mean some of these stories can be used as good lessons or could be used as a metaphor such as squeezing milk and blood from a roti which is a metaphor saying that the blood is from using other peoples sacrifices for your own gain, and milk for doing honesty and hard work.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Got a good point, we all have our own views. I just thought about this because I was in Victoria and my dad was talking with my cousin and he was talking about how it was possible for Baba Deep Singh Ji to fight with his head chopped off, I mean logically it could be possible. As there was a Chicken that lived for many years without a head Mike the Headless Chicken - Wikipedia, but this is pure superstition. I mean Baba Deep Singh Ji was a historical figure, but the myth. Not so much.

in all probability, he suffered a wound to the neck and bravely fought on, which got corrupted over the years, as bravery, courage, and the desire to vanquish bad are clearly not enough to inspire people, we need superhero type stories, which then gloss over the laudable facets showed, and focus on the myth, its just not enough to be brave these days, or indeed, any day

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
What do you mean by guidance, I mean in Sikhism I am pretty sure we don't believe in a personal God such in Christianity with an ahtropormphic god type of style, but we believe in an impersonal God, but is personal through metaphors as we describe it as our "mother", "sister", "father", and "brother". I am just saying that these Janamshaki's should be taken with a grain of salt, as they were written decades after his death, and these are involved with petty miracles and superstition. Guru Nanak Dev Ji told us not to believe in these type of things. but to have trust in Whaeguru. I mean some of these stories can be used as good lessons or could be used as a metaphor such as squeezing milk and blood from a roti which is a metaphor saying that the blood is from using other peoples sacrifices for your own gain, and milk for doing honesty and hard work.

Creation was formed from absolutely nothing- is that not a miracle beyond comprehension? Miracles are all around you, you just a don't accept them to be miracles because the world has taught us to view things in a certain way.

Where do you think your soul goes when it dies? Gurbani says it goes on it's own journey. Is that not a miracle? There is so much more than what u see around.

Gurbani teaches us not to dwell on these things because we're here to realise our true nature and merge with the divine in humility, losing the ego. Doesn't mean those things aren't possible in the khel. But it's just a game.

Theres a reason that people depict the gurus with white light around their heads and reasons that these stories exist. But theyre all symbolic reflection of the Truth, as is your body and all u see around you. In Truth theres no form or image, it's all just Him.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Creation was formed from absolutely nothing- is that not a miracle beyond comprehension?

if God was around and was the creator, how could there be nothing? we must accept that at least the creator was around, so your nothing theory once again does not add up.

Miracles are all around you, you just a don't accept them to be miracles because the world has taught us to view things in a certain way.
Can you name one such miracle?

Where do you think your soul goes when it dies?
If we understand that a soul is the essence of a human being, well, it dies.

Gurbani says it goes on it's own journey. Is that not a miracle?
no it does not, there are many interpretations of what Gurbani says happens after death, the truth is no one really knows, not me, and not you..

There is so much more than what u see around.
ok, name something

Gurbani teaches us not to dwell on these things because we're here to realise our true nature and merge with the divine in humility, losing the ego.
and hows does that work if we are mean't to be householders and not ascetics?

Doesn't mean those things aren't possible in the khel. But it's just a game.
yup its a game, but we make our own rules, just as you have made yours and I have made mine, I, however do not inflict my game on others, its my game, its for me, its not suitable for anyone else, I recognize that.

Theres a reason that people depict the gurus with white light around their heads and reasons that these stories exist.
yup, because the basic foundations and ethos of Sikhism just is not enough, people need fairy tales to sit up and take notice

But theyre all symbolic reflection of the Truth, as is your body and all u see around you.
nope, its a human beings interpretation of what they think is the truth, foisted on the rest of us,

In Truth theres no form or image, it's all just Him.
yeah, sounds great, but back on planet earth, if all is just him, and if all includeds quite a lot of lies, which 'all' would, then how does that work?

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
If we understand that a soul is the essence of a human being, well, it dies.

no it does not, there are many interpretations of what Gurbani says happens after death, the truth is no one really knows, not me, and not you..

In my opinion, I do think that there is something after death, I am not saying out of fear. The reason why, there are reports in October that showed that some people were aware that they had died after Cardiac Arrest and were pronounced dead. After death, you’re aware that you’ve died, say scientists Possible Hints of Consciousness After Death Found in Rats It also mentions that consciousness lives on after death, but people are not sure if it only lives for a brief moment or it continues on after; however, Consciousness is a big mystery among the scientific community. Also they found out that rats are aware as well, so I guess it gives hope and in my opinion the soul = consciousness; however, regarding death. It appears that Sikhism has a sort of Agnostic view on death. I forgot the quote, but it says that the Qazi's, Yogis, claim they know what happens after death, but no ones. In fact, we might never know what happens, but only after we pass the door of death.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM