• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism And Issues With Hindu Influence And Janamshakis

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
So, I am questioning things, I mean there isn't wrong with questioning. The whole emphasis of why our religion was built due to Guru Nanak questioning the Hindu practices and such. For me, I hear of tales of Guru Nanak doing things that break the law of physics such is squeezing blood and milk from Roti, picking up a boulder with one hand and throwing it at someone. I was skeptical, but I realized that the information that came wasn't written when Guru Nanak Dev Ji was alive. In fact this was written decades after he had passed, and even though it shouldn't be outright declined, it is indeed suspicious and contradictory about Sikhism's teachings. As Guru Nanak himself outright questioned the superstition regarding the Brahmins such as the tying of the thread, idol worship, and such. Heck even our religion was built on questioning as I stated before. Thing is, I feel that a lot of Sikhs are feeling confused and such which is leading to them leaving Sikhi. I feel that there are some "brahmin" teachings that are being placed into Sikhi that is confusing us. Issue is, I feel that Sikhi's teachings are becoming weaker. Such as worshipping the photos of our Guru's which they obviously rejected, also at the Golden Temple we spill milk on the floor. Isn't that the same thing that Hindu's do. I also realise that with Nihang Sikhs they do the exact same thing as Hindu's. They worship weapons which is obvious idolatry, sacrifice goats, and such. For some reason I believe that Sikhism's original teachings are being corrupted, and being replaced by the exact same teachings that Sikhi outright rejected. These are the same problems that Buddhism faced too, as the Brahmins clamed that Buddha Ji was the 9th Reincarnation of Vishnu and they said the same thing to Guru Hargobind with them claiming he was the 49th reincarnation of Vishnu.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I disagree, these things should be outright declined, they fail every litmus test going. However, we have lots of people in Sikhism with lots of different agendas, truth as an agenda is a bit old fashioned these days

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
>> also at the Golden Temple we spill milk on the floor

After that they have to wash with 3x amount of water. I don't know how it helps. Maybe someone told them it keeps the marble white :D

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
>> also at the Golden Temple we spill milk on the floor

After that they have to wash with 3x amount of water. I don't know how it helps. Maybe someone told them it keeps the marble white :D

One may only need water to keep the marble white. Having said that, I think there are other toxic/non-toxic ways to keep the marble white and SGPC should find them, experiment them on all kinds of marble before using them and not make it a ritual a la Hinduism.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
maybe they think milk helps in maintaining the calcium content of marble :D

Well, I have heard this statement (argument?) a few times... Is there any proven scientific basis of this statement? I have searched about it online but there is nothing that purports to this observation...

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
So, I am questioning things, I mean there isn't wrong with questioning. The whole emphasis of why our religion was built due to Guru Nanak questioning the Hindu practices and such. For me, I hear of tales of Guru Nanak doing things that break the law of physics such is squeezing blood and milk from Roti, picking up a boulder with one hand and throwing it at someone. I was skeptical, but I realized that the information that came wasn't written when Guru Nanak Dev Ji was alive. In fact this was written decades after he had passed, and even though it shouldn't be outright declined, it is indeed suspicious and contradictory about Sikhism's teachings. As Guru Nanak himself outright questioned the superstition regarding the Brahmins such as the tying of the thread, idol worship, and such. Heck even our religion was built on questioning as I stated before. Thing is, I feel that a lot of Sikhs are feeling confused and such which is leading to them leaving Sikhi. I feel that there are some "brahmin" teachings that are being placed into Sikhi that is confusing us. Issue is, I feel that Sikhi's teachings are becoming weaker. Such as worshipping the photos of our Guru's which they obviously rejected, also at the Golden Temple we spill milk on the floor. Isn't that the same thing that Hindu's do. I also realise that with Nihang Sikhs they do the exact same thing as Hindu's. They worship weapons which is obvious idolatry, sacrifice goats, and such. For some reason I believe that Sikhism's original teachings are being corrupted, and being replaced by the exact same teachings that Sikhi outright rejected. These are the same problems that Buddhism faced too, as the Brahmins clamed that Buddha Ji was the 9th Reincarnation of Vishnu and they said the same thing to Guru Hargobind with them claiming he was the 49th reincarnation of Vishnu.

I would read Guru Granth Sahib Ji and apply it's teachings, and ask for Gods guidance on these issues later on if you don't trust the stories

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Treating SGGS as living guru means to consult SGGS and take spiritual guidance from SGGS and respect it as living guru, it doesn’t mean worship SGGS with blind rituals , like washing floor with milk or wrapping SGGS in 5-10 rumallas,
I can understand that we should do all we can to preserve gurbani respectfully , so the room needs to be in optimum temperature, clean etc, but washing with milk servers no such preservation or respect function.”

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
sorry i find it hard to accept that any dairy product is going to help in cleaning metal, wood, marble, cloth, seems like a ritual to me...

Singhs used to wash their hair with yogurt back in the day.

I have tried it myself, it cleans well and is a good moisturizes for the skin.

When cleaning larger areas, like Harimandir sahib, yogurt is impractical as their is a longer process to make it.

So that's why they use milk.

Also milk doesn't have any industrial chemicals and is less likely to damage the marble than modern soaps.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Singhs used to wash their hair with yogurt back in the day.

I have tried it myself, it cleans well and is a good moisturizes for the skin.

When cleaning larger areas, like Harimandir sahib, yogurt is impractical as their is a longer process to make it.

So that's why they use milk.

Also milk doesn't have any industrial chemicals and is less likely to damage the marble than modern soaps.

Maybe the sub Association of the Sikh Milk Producers had a hand it in it?

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
I disagree, these things should be outright declined, they fail every litmus test going. However, we have lots of people in Sikhism with lots of different agendas, truth as an agenda is a bit old fashioned these days
Got a good point, we all have our own views. I just thought about this because I was in Victoria and my dad was talking with my cousin and he was talking about how it was possible for Baba Deep Singh Ji to fight with his head chopped off, I mean logically it could be possible. As there was a Chicken that lived for many years without a head Mike the Headless Chicken - Wikipedia, but this is pure superstition. I mean Baba Deep Singh Ji was a historical figure, but the myth. Not so much.

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
from my understanding, milk mixed with water was the best cleaning product available.
I am pretty sure that Milk isn't used as a good cleaning product, I am pretty sure it is some ritualistic type of thing.
main-qimg-fb74e427e0a05da8471cb1d5cd44d411-c
I mean they are wasting milk too for peat sakes, we can give the milk for those who are starving. Its literally the same thing that these people do, giving methai to idols while it rots away.

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
I am just saying this, the Brahmins are responsible for this. I mean Kala Afghana is right that Sikhism is filled with bullshit and superstition. For example, people think that the water in the Golden Temple can revive people. I mean I understand Kala Afghana is controversial, but he has a lot of good points. I mean Sikhism is going to head to the same path as Buddhism, I mean I heard stories about how Buddha straight out rejected the Brahmins claims, and after his death they claimed he reincarned from Vishnu.

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
Another issue is with the SGPC, they are going to end up like the Vatican Church being corrupt with power and such. That is the issue with all religions with power. I mean religions can be used for good, but when it is involved with power it corrupts man. I have a feeling that a lot of young Sikhs will be confused by these type of issues, and I don't recognize the SGPC and they are pretty much a corrupt organizaton that is chewing Sikhism from the inside.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM