• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhboy11

SPNer
Nov 22, 2010
Hi, basically I'm a sikh boy who wears a pakta and follows the rules of sikhi
but I've got a girlfriend who is mixed race but is athiest. I was wondering if its wrong for me to be in a relationship with her tho she respects sikhs and their religion to the fullest she does not care that i have long hair or i am a sikh and she respects me for following my religion. she sometimes drinks but i guess most non sikh girls do so i cant blame her for that but everything else such as smoking she has never done and never will. I love her deeply and she loves me deeply and i believe that true love shouldnt be forbidden but who am i to question god. So i was just wondering am i betraying god and sikhism by loving her ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Can someone please help me, I need to know if it aint wrong for me to do this

sikhboy11 ji

Have you read other threads here on this problem? What have you gathered from them? If you do not mind my asking you some questions. Your account id says "sikh boy." Does that make you a "boy" or a "young man." There is a difference between a boy and a man, and knowing if you are a "boy" would help put your plight into context as pertains to how you have described your girlfriend. Is this a casual relationship? A serious relationship? Etc.

Sikhboy11

SPNer
Nov 22, 2010
Re: Can someone please help me, I need to know if it aint wrong for me to do this

Im 16 and my girlfriend will be 15 in january but my birthday is in may so shes only really one year older than me & noo i have not read any thread relating to my situation also at the moment the relationship is casual but we can both see it turning serious this is purely why i asked because im in a dilemma. do i follow my heart and just hope god will not feel betrayed or should i leave her tho i love her deeply

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Im 16 and my girlfriend will be 15 in january but my birthday is in may so shes only really one year older than me & noo i have not read any thread relating to my situation also at the moment the relationship is casual but we can both see it turning serious this is purely why i asked because im in a dilemma. do i follow my heart and just hope god will not feel betrayed or should i leave her tho i love her deeply

I am glad I asked then. And thank you for answering me. The wise replies will take your age into consideration. We will keep in mind that you are one foot into manhood, and the other foot still back a bit.

The threads we have here are mostly based on experiences of people who are older and with few exceptions they are people who are already out of school and working, even living independently.

OK - Let's see what SPN members have to say. But let's start here by thinking out loud. What do you think would happen if you decided to keep it "casual?" What would you lose? What would you gain?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sikhboy11

SPNer
Nov 22, 2010

to "a.mother" when i say we can see it going serious i just mean we can see the relationship being long term not serious as in getting married & to spnadmin well i dont really know what id lose and what id gain but i cant deny the fact that i love her but also i cant deny the fact that i feel like im betraying god but i just want to know would i be betraying god or does god understand that you cant choose who you love you just do

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

to spnadmin well i dont really know what id lose and what id gain but i cant deny the fact that i love her but also i cant deny the fact that i feel like im betraying god but i just want to know would i be betraying god or does god understand that you cant choose who you love you just do

Sikhboy11 ji

I am not the one to tell you how to feel, think, or make decisions, about relationships or anything else. I asked you these questions because they are the very questions that you need to ponder. You will be better able to resolve your own doubts about your relationship with god if you do.

Spend a little time by yourself and think the questions through. Then you will be taking charge of your part in the relationship. Keep me/us informed.

jane2010

SPNer
Sep 29, 2010

Hi, basically I'm a sikh boy who wears a pakta and follows the rules of sikhi
but I've got a girlfriend who is mixed race but is athiest. I was wondering if its wrong for me to be in a relationship with her tho she respects sikhs and their religion to the fullest she does not care that i have long hair or i am a sikh and she respects me for following my religion. she sometimes drinks but i guess most non sikh girls do so i cant blame her for that but everything else such as smoking she has never done and never will. I love her deeply and she loves me deeply and i believe that true love shouldnt be forbidden but who am i to question god. So i was just wondering am i betraying god and sikhism by loving her ?

Ahh Sikh boy... you are in a pickle, i would like to advise you, if you truley love this girl and it seems like you do then you must of course firstly
follow youre heart it seems like god has brought both of you together so please dont think you are betraying god....true love should never be forbidden i wish you all the luck and remember we only live once never appologise for falling in love its the best feeling in the world, embrace it as much as you can (-:

all the best, Jane

Enlighten Me

SPNer
Dec 4, 2010
England

We're all human, we're all equal. If you and your girlfriend have respect for one another regardless of race, religion etc then there's no problem.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

No offence but you are only 16 and not really at an age when you should be thinking about serious relationships.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM