• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Youths Brighten Lives On A Gloomy Day In KL

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Article forwarded by Gyani Jarnail Singh ji.

KUALA LUMPUR: Commuters and stall owners were pleasantly surprised as 50 young Sikhs helped spread a little warmth and friendliness, brightening up a rainy afternoon at KL Sentral.

The youths gave out free carnations, delicious mini-cupcakes and encouraged members of the public to “Smile!” in conjunction with Malaysia Smile Day.

Its 23-year-old project manager Ashvinder Kaur said: “It is just a gesture from us to the public, to share a bit of love and make their day. We all need that once in a while.”

Dressed in bright yellow T-shirts with smiley badges pinned on, some with colourful turbans, the members of Oh My Guru (O M G), a youth division of the Sikh Association of Malaysia (SNSM), held up signs that said “Smile for me, please!”, “It takes 43 facial muscles to frown, but only 17 to smile!” and “Smile lah!” and watched as faces lit up and frowns turned into grins.

For Susan Yeap, 63, receiving a pink carnation certainly made her day.
“It has been a long while since anyone gave me flowers. My children used to buy me flowers on my birthday but they are all abroad,” said the beaming Yeap.

When 20-year-old Faizul Salihin was offered a cupcake, he traded it in for a red carnation, “I want to give it to someone special. I want to see her smile, too,” he said.

“I am so happy today!” said an excited M. Rani, 35, who works in a shop at the station.

The O M G had previously organised other events that involved the public, including a Bhangra dance flash mob in KL Sentral and a tea ceremony in Central Market to mark Vaisakhi.

O M G member Simret Singh, 24, said the events were meant to promote racial unity and the feeling to being “truly Malaysian”.

“People from all races joined us when we did the Bhangra and everyone just had fun. Although we are a religious group, we don't promote Sikhism at our events. Our events are for everyone,” he said.

Simret said the Malaysia Smile Day was held to encourage people to smile a little more. “A smile is universal. No matter what race you belong to, or what language you speak, everyone can understand you when you smile,” he said.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/10/9/nation/9663745&sec=nation

Do you smile enough?!

Attachments

• n_p1sikh.jpg
    n_p1sikh.jpg
    61 KB · Reads: 252
  • n_3sikha.jpg
    n_3sikha.jpg
    20.9 KB · Reads: 261

BazGrewal

SPNer
Sep 17, 2010
I really enjoy reading about all these articles about Sikhs from all over the world performing acts of kindness, and having positive effects in their communities wherever they may be.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM