• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Youth Confused - Is It Any Wonder?

rooh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2005
london
The article on why girls are confused - when so called sikh men practice one thing and preach another.

This is symptomatic of a kind of hyporcrisy on the part of many Sikhs. Many parents themselves do not understand the essence of Sikhism, how are they going to teach their children. Most Sikhs have reduced Sikhism to the level of symbolism and outward show. Essentially, this means that you do not become a Sikh just by wearing a turban or a Khanda. The true essence of Sikhism is accessed by very few individuals.

We cannot ascend to the heights of the Gurus and the Granth Sahib, and we have therefore reduced their teachings to our lower understanding, thereby distorting Sikhism altogether. Read the Bani - God and spirituality is not related to our physcial body or flesh, but to our soul. To be a Sikh is not as easy as just wearing a piece of cloth. Look at the history of the Gurus and saints. It is a path of much sacrifice. The Gurus sacrificed their own lives and their families. Contemprary so called Sikhs cannot even sacrifice their alcohol!!

Sep 11, 2005
Re: Sikh Youth Confused - Is it any Wonder????????

Religion is an organized way of fooling the public .

What r u going to offer to those who will sacrifice Alcohol ?

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London

devinesanative said:
Religion is an organized way of fooling the public .

What r u going to offer to those who will sacrifice Alcohol ?

Didnt understand what you meant by WHAT R GOING TO OFFER TO THOSE WHO WILL SACRIFICE ALCOHOL??

And yes, religion as per Guru Gobind Singh is only by name, everyone looks different from the outside, they wear differnet cloths, talk differently, act differently, but at the end WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS, same persons, and that is what is one of the basis of Sikhi, recognising equality for all.

Sikhi is a way of life, more than a religion, because Sikhi is not in the box of religion. We are all seperated and close ourselves off in our little 'boxes' and cannot see beyond our petty differences.

People just acuse and hurt each other, etc because of our differne tfaiths, just look at palestine. But sikhi is a way of life, and as a sikh (student) you read the guru granth (guide/teacher/master), to live a way of life that will achieve peace and unity with God. It is not a religion, that is why the word Sikhism is misleading, whereas Sikhi is more appropriate, as it is a way of live for us humans to live by, hence why Sikhi is universal, anyone can apply it to their lives even if they follow other faiths. Guru Granth aint just for Sikhs, it is for every human being.

WJKWJF Gurdip Singh Chana

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London

rooh said:
The article on why girls are confused - when so called sikh men practice one thing and preach another.

This is symptomatic of a kind of hyporcrisy on the part of many Sikhs. Many parents themselves do not understand the essence of Sikhism, how are they going to teach their children. Most Sikhs have reduced Sikhism to the level of symbolism and outward show. Essentially, this means that you do not become a Sikh just by wearing a turban or a Khanda. The true essence of Sikhism is accessed by very few individuals.

We cannot ascend to the heights of the Gurus and the Granth Sahib, and we have therefore reduced their teachings to our lower understanding, thereby distorting Sikhism altogether. Read the Bani - God and spirituality is not related to our physcial body or flesh, but to our soul. To be a Sikh is not as easy as just wearing a piece of cloth. Look at the history of the Gurus and saints. It is a path of much sacrifice. The Gurus sacrificed their own lives and their families. Contemprary so called Sikhs cannot even sacrifice their alcohol!!

WJKWJF,

I am in total agreement with you. I dont know whether any past generations that have come and gone have questioned how Sikhi is being practiced, and whether this problem of lack of knowledge of deep sikhi and true sikhi is infact just started in our generation or before.

I guess it is now down to us to sort matters out. Unfortunantly, dare I slander Gurdwara Sahibs, most of them are just means of making money. They are just walls erected around Guru Granth who is meant to be available for all and anywhere, and these Parbhandics (Gurdwara Managment) are using gurdwaras as a means of making money and gaining power in the community. This can obviously be seen by the Gurdwara in Canada whereby the courts had to settle the dispute between rivals.

I say the first step towards sorting this issue out is to sort the matters out at Gurdwara. The sangat turn to Gurdwaras for guidance, they themselves in this modern world would prefer someone giving them information rather than sitting down and reading books and prechars on sikhi and the true essence of Sikhi.

We have giani's in gurdwaras who dare I say in most cases do not have a clue about what sikhi really is all about. They just have amrit, wear the clothing, stay at gurdwaras, read some gurbani, but they do not explain any bani, they do not explain the real meaning behind bani. They do not explain how to reach god, most people think that simply reading 5 banis is your form of prayer, but NO, gurbani is meant for guidance, not for rutualistically and blindly reading it.

The way gurdwaras are run need to be changed. When we sit down and sort the issues out, then and then only can we go out on the 'streets' and sort sikhi out in each and every household, because give it 10 years, people will not have a clue about sikhi, what is sikhi, what is the true meaning of gurbani. The future generations are not even taught anything about sikhi, they just grow up, live a life, and then that is all.

I hope people will try and sort this matter, out, I will do so, i am only aged 18, still at uni, still got lots to learn on sikhi, but the problems we have need to be cured for sikhi to flourish. TIME FOR A REVOLUTION, a NEW MOVEMENT to reform Gurdwaras and to Reform Prechar of Sikhi.

PLEASE GIVE US YOUR VIEWS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO GIVE YOU VIEWS.

WJKWJF Gurdip

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

gs_chana said:
WJKWJF,

I am in total agreement with you. I dont know whether any past generations that have come and gone have questioned how Sikhi is being practiced, and whether this problem of lack of knowledge of deep sikhi and true sikhi is infact just started in our generation or before.

I guess it is now down to us to sort matters out. Unfortunantly, dare I slander Gurdwara Sahibs, most of them are just means of making money. They are just walls erected around Guru Granth who is meant to be available for all and anywhere, and these Parbhandics (Gurdwara Managment) are using gurdwaras as a means of making money and gaining power in the community. This can obviously be seen by the Gurdwara in Canada whereby the courts had to settle the dispute between rivals.

I say the first step towards sorting this issue out is to sort the matters out at Gurdwara. The sangat turn to Gurdwaras for guidance, they themselves in this modern world would prefer someone giving them information rather than sitting down and reading books and prechars on sikhi and the true essence of Sikhi.

We have giani's in gurdwaras who dare I say in most cases do not have a clue about what sikhi really is all about. They just have amrit, wear the clothing, stay at gurdwaras, read some gurbani, but they do not explain any bani, they do not explain the real meaning behind bani. They do not explain how to reach god, most people think that simply reading 5 banis is your form of prayer, but NO, gurbani is meant for guidance, not for rutualistically and blindly reading it.

The way gurdwaras are run need to be changed. When we sit down and sort the issues out, then and then only can we go out on the 'streets' and sort sikhi out in each and every household, because give it 10 years, people will not have a clue about sikhi, what is sikhi, what is the true meaning of gurbani. The future generations are not even taught anything about sikhi, they just grow up, live a life, and then that is all.

I hope people will try and sort this matter, out, I will do so, i am only aged 18, still at uni, still got lots to learn on sikhi, but the problems we have need to be cured for sikhi to flourish. TIME FOR A REVOLUTION, a NEW MOVEMENT to reform Gurdwaras and to Reform Prechar of Sikhi.

PLEASE GIVE US YOUR VIEWS, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO GIVE YOU VIEWS.

WJKWJF Gurdip

Waheguru ji ka kahlsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

I am 110% in agreement with you. We need more Youths like you Gurdip Singh...Youths who are willing to OPEN their eyes and QUESTION what is going on AROUND us today..

SIKHI is NOT a set of clothes...GURU NANAK JI REJECTED just ONE JANEAU...MOST SINGHS today are WEARING FIVE JANEAUS !!

SIKHI is about LIVING SIKHI..LIVING GURBANI...LIVING BY EXAMPLE. Thats how Sikhi spread far and wide during its hey days....and THATS why it is declining now...and SHAM SIKHI of DIKHAVA/BHEKH/RITUAL/PAKHAAND...is giving rise to the HUGE preponderance of DERAS of Fake saadhs, sants, babas, bhoot pret s and chhaiyas ( actually mental and psychological problems) Jadu Tuunas and stuff...all of which are Millions of miles away from GURBANI.

Sikhs today are the MALIK BHAGOS... rich and powerful "indivdually"...but complete shams in PRIVATE life..all going for QUICK FIXES....bottled "amrits" and "holy ashes"...

Our Gurdwaras are all for GO-LUCK !! collections only...everything goes as long as sangat comes in large numbers and go-lucks get filled to overflowing...

YES you are right..SIKHI needs a SINGH SABHA SUDHAAR LEHR..of the 1920s..to DRIVE OUT all the RUBBISH we have accumlated all this while..Corrupt Mahants, jathedars, Politicians and such need to be driven out of religious places like Jesus drove out these people from the Temple of His father

It gives me great hope to see Youths seeing the need for reform...SIKHI is PERFECT..it is the SIKHS who need reforming..

Jarnail Singh Gyani

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London

Gyani Jarnail Singh said:
Waheguru ji ka kahlsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

I am 110% in agreement with you. We need more Youths like you Gurdip Singh...Youths who are willing to OPEN their eyes and QUESTION what is going on AROUND us today..

SIKHI is NOT a set of clothes...GURU NANAK JI REJECTED just ONE JANEAU...MOST SINGHS today are WEARING FIVE JANEAUS !!

SIKHI is about LIVING SIKHI..LIVING GURBANI...LIVING BY EXAMPLE. Thats how Sikhi spread far and wide during its hey days....and THATS why it is declining now...and SHAM SIKHI of DIKHAVA/BHEKH/RITUAL/PAKHAAND...is giving rise to the HUGE preponderance of DERAS of Fake saadhs, sants, babas, bhoot pret s and chhaiyas ( actually mental and psychological problems) Jadu Tuunas and stuff...all of which are Millions of miles away from GURBANI.

Sikhs today are the MALIK BHAGOS... rich and powerful "indivdually"...but complete shams in PRIVATE life..all going for QUICK FIXES....bottled "amrits" and "holy ashes"...

Our Gurdwaras are all for GO-LUCK !! collections only...everything goes as long as sangat comes in large numbers and go-lucks get filled to overflowing...

YES you are right..SIKHI needs a SINGH SABHA SUDHAAR LEHR..of the 1920s..to DRIVE OUT all the RUBBISH we have accumlated all this while..Corrupt Mahants, jathedars, Politicians and such need to be driven out of religious places like Jesus drove out these people from the Temple of His father

It gives me great hope to see Youths seeing the need for reform...SIKHI is PERFECT..it is the SIKHS who need reforming..

Jarnail Singh Gyani

WJKWJF,

I thank you Gyani Ji for recognising that there too is a need for change. What I find suprising is that there have already been so many views but no replies as to this matter. Dont really know if people are in interest of this matter of have no views.

First of all it is ESSENTIAL that we figure out whether this problem we have in our SIKHI PRACTICES (NOT IN SIKHI, as you pointed out IT IS PERFECT, ONLY SIKHS NEED REFORMING) is GLOBAL or limited to but a few countries.

I am from London, England, and at least I can safely say that those gurdwaras here that have flourished have done so whereby they follow PROPER SIKHI, whereby they EDUCATE the sangat on Gurbani. From my experiences such include the Guru Nanak Nishkam Sevak Jatha and a local Gurdwara, Gurdwara Karamsar from the RaraSahib Sevadars. What I have noticed is that the 'leaders' of such Gurdwaras all consider themselves Sevadars. They do not take money from the GOLAK as a means of paying for their items. On the face value such Gurdwara examples given above have sucessed well and many sangat turn up and appreciate Sikhi, even the youth.

But where there are Gurdwaras that have deeply entrenched in politics, corrupt manner, anti-sikhi prechar/activites, whereby there are fake sants/gianis/etc, whereby all activities conducted within are just fruitless and of no avail (ritualistc/not proper sikhi); then such so called Gurdwaras need reform.

The sangat turns to Gurdwaras as I have already pointed out. I can safely say that you will notice a difference in the Panth when the way we run Gurdwaras change.

We need to encourge greater education of Deep Sikhi, not through a bunch of gianis who have just dressed up and read a lil bit of Gurdbani and proclaim themselves to be educated Sikhs, but from Sikh Scholars (though there are very little). We need to set up education centers, GLOBALLY, where we can teach the true essence of Sikhi. Where ordinary human beings enter, and Masters in Sikhi leave, whereby they will lead a life as PROPER SIKHS (not necessarily just with long hair/beard/5 k's, but with GREATER understanding of GOD/GURUS/and HOW TO LIVE LIFE AS A GURMUKH [God-Centered Person].

With regard to GurBani, thing I need to establish is where there is a globally aclaimed official Translations of the Guru Granth (in different world languages) for which the entire Sikh Population is in agreement and accepts.

I have noticed that such translations have been coming out, but out so called SIKH LEADERS SGPC has denounced them. But the only way the youth are going to understand sikhi is through a language they understand better. Punjabi is to be promoted as our mother tounge, but ask yourselves, we are on this earth to gain oneness with God, and the only way we are going to do that is through our limited time. And if those who cannot read and understand Gurbani PROPERLY and ACCURATLY, then translations should be available and such translations should be used in Gurdwaras. This way the youth when the HUKAMNAMA is read out can understand it, the Gurbani we sing to God they can understand, and ultimately they can know more about God and realise the True Beauty of Sikhi, which is hidden away behind the old languages of Guru Granth.

ULTIMATELY, for SIKHI TO FLOURISH, such translations should be distributed freely, without charge, to the world, and people will soon appreciate that Gurbani and understand more about what life is/etc. The LANGUAGE BARRIER (which many new sikh comers have talked about) will ultimately be removed, and will encourage people from all backgrounds to learn about Sikhi and its MODERN PRACTICES which are the ANSWER to the PROBLEMS of MODERN MAN.

I have pleanty more to say, dont wish to Go On, I think so far I have said enough. Lolz. But please let me know your views, as Sikhi is not run by indivuduals, it is run by the Guidance of Guruji, and if you have any issues please say them.

Sorry for any mistakes I may have made.

Gurdip Singh Chana:{;o:

Sep 11, 2005

Dear Friends ,

It is the common problem that most of people have addicted to alcoholism .

But have ever thought or imagined that why people drink Alcohol ?

Here are some of the benefits of Drinking Alcohol

• Artificially create Importance
  • Draw attention of the public , (as people are more likely to get attracted to bad people . It’s a common saying that “each and every person remembers 99 % of the time about his enemies or bad people)
  • Artificially Create Very Very Very High Status reaching the Heavens
  • Get Appreciation
  • Be Acknowledged as a Mature guy or girl
  • Be Acknowledged as an Adult guy or girl
  • Under control control of Alcohol , even if you commit a crime you get sympathy
  • Under control control of Alcohol , even if you rape a women get sympathy and woman involved is solely blamed
  • Alcohol Drinker gets the label “Wachara” , “Bechara” , “Humble”
  • If you drink alcohol and love enjoying women , you can get business
  • A waiver of Responsibilities
  • Freedom to do anything , anywhere , anytime
  • Liberty to abuse anyone , anytime , anywhere
  • A liberty to make love to your friends wife

And much more , There is no limitation , Your are limited only by your imagination

Not Convinced Yet ….. if you have not tasted this life .

Come on Grab the Chance . Hurry Up Drink Now !!! . you won’t get this chance never never in your life .

And those all who don’t drink alcohol are NAMARDS , NAPUNSAKs ,

Now coming to the reforms .

Why people behave so ?

Because people are clever and smart , and feel that they have conquered God .

Somesay that they drink because they get depressed and want relief from depression .

Sep 11, 2005

How long sikhs will keep on shooting on the shoulders of Gurus Sacrifices .

When ever we want something from someone , we fire a quote about sacrifices by Gurus , and expect others to sacrifice , but when the question of self Sacrificing comes , then we play clever and smart tricks , then again qoute some verses from Gurbani in favour of self and escape the Sacrifice ground .

HK_Fateh

SPNer
Dec 11, 2006

Quite thought-provoking inputs by a few of you...All I can say is today sikhi has as many forms as w have total number of Sikhs. This is shameful...I wonder where is that 'chardi kala' spirit vanished from us? Sikhs were known to be resilient and firm, when it would come to testifying their belief in one God. Today, we are succumbing to outer pressures as if we no more belong to that high-sprited Kaum, which was clear-headed in its thoughts and actions. Enquiring about your beliefs is one thing, questioning them for sake of despsing their founders is another. We, today's Sikh Youth, are curious to know the facts, which is good and productive. But let's not be too skeptical of our guru's teachings. All answers lie in gurbani. Even I didn't believe this cliched statement until I actually dug deep into it and found both, the answers and an unmatched tranquility!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM