• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Wars

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Re: Battle of Chamkaur

pk70 ji

Were you born in Chamkaur?

I was not born in Chamkaur Sahib but 12 miles away from it, I used to go there many times in a year, my cousin was married in a village Mundeean hardly 2 miles from Chamkaur Sahib, I was very close to her, so visiting her also means visiting Gursawara Sahib during every visit to her. As a child I would wander around to imagine that fierce fight. I would sit alone on the place from where Guru ji before leaving Chamkaur Sahib, did clapping and said" peere Hind is here" It used to be very fascnating. I miss all that even today !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

pk70 ji

You need to talk more to Bhagat ji because he is trying to come up with a historically accurate picture for his next set of illustrations. :) All we have had to go on so far is the Internet and it has been very contradictory.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Bhagat ji

What about Palaces, Fortresses and Forts in Old Punjab!
I don't know if Lohgarh is in Punjab. But that is where Bachitar Singh defeated the elephant. I found some small, low quality pictures of it. What I need is a picture looking at it from the front, and of the bridge thing above the moat.

Back to Chamkaur, Pk70 ji, do you by any chance have pictures of the kachi garhi?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

I don't know if Lohgarh is in Punjab. But that is where Bachitar Singh defeated the elephant. I found some small, low quality pictures of it. What I need is a picture looking at it from the front, and of the bridge thing above the moat.

Back to Chamkaur, Pk70 ji, do you by any chance have pictures of the kachi garhi?

Lohgarh was the name of the Fort in which Guru Gobind Singh ji along with his Sikhs were positioned in when they were attacked with that elephant who eventually got badly wounded by Bhai Bachittar Singh's spear. Lohgarh Fort was in Anandpur Sahib, Punjab.

Unfortunately I do not have any picture of old "Kachee Garhi" You can draw with yopur imagination by looking at the pictures posted on this thread about Guru ji and his Sikhs while their stay in Haheli. Imagine a fort in a mini form, its surrounding walls worked as barrier, in it there were some holes to watch out side activities. Sorry Bhagat Singh, I wish I could provide some thing in this regard.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Bhagat ji

I have the PIC - bridge and moat at this link - the full size image.

http://matrimonyxpress.com/images/April07/fort1.jpg
I found this image already (googled lohgarh :D).
I am looking for a bigger, more detailed version. What I was picturing was Bhai Bachitar singh followed by two others singhs charging directly towards the viewer, with the fort towering behind them!
I thought since there are already paintings where Bhai Bachitar Singh is hitting or about to hit the enemy elephant, I should do where he is either done with the elephant or coming out of the fort.
[url]http://www.sikh-heritage.co.uk/movements/lobanas/bach1.jpghttp://www.artofpunjab.com/images/bhai_bachittar_singh.jpg[/URL][url]http://www.artofpunjab.com/images/bhai_bachittar_singh.jpg[/URL]
I saw this one but I didn't think this was the Lohgarh fort since there is no moat.

i appreciate your effort. I hope you are learning alot from this, just as I am. :yes:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I am learning about Indian architecture over the centuries from 1600 onward. What we need is a good web site that covers more centuries, maybe 5000 BE onward with a greater variety of examples than is typically offered on the web. Mostly temple architecture. And not enough of the information about where people lived out their lives. This is understandable as only in the past 25 years have archeologists in Egypt, Italy, Israel and England turned their interest to excavations of sites that were not huge religious/political installations or burial sites. In BBC stories about archeological finds in Rome -- which occur almost every day -- we are informed that the finances are extremely stretched for preservation of these situations. So much so, that after archeologists photograph everything and remove important artifacts, they cover it all back up again and modern construction of roads and buildings resumes over them.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Battle of Saragarhi
Battle of Saragarhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Battle of Saragarhi was fought during the Tirah Campaign on 12 September 1897 between twenty one Sikhs of the 4th Battalion (then 36th Sikhs) of the Sikh Regiment of British India, defending an army post, and 10,000 Afghan and Orakzai tribesmen in a last stand. The battle occurred in the North-West Frontier Province, now a part of Pakistan, which then formed part of British India."
Battle of Saragarhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I found many resources on Sikh soldiers but none on the Afghan and Orakzai tribesmen. Anyone have any idea where to look, etc?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
wow, no one responded to saragarhi...
lol anyway, ill be posting some initial sketches for saragarhi, battle of chamkaur 2 and bhai bachittar singh(alreayd up ;)) on my blog below.
Banda Singh Bahadur and Akali Phula Singh are on my mind for later. If there is any other Sikh woman in the wars ( EDIT: around this time, I know there were some during Maharaja Ranjit SIngh's time), I would love to give her more priority over the men. :D I don't want work on a third Mai Bhago piece just yet.

Sikhi Art

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
"Banda Singh Bahadur" up on my blog (Sikhi Art), along with "Escape from Anandpur". Both are works in progress, and I plan to finish them after my other works in progress.

Still thinking of what to do with Saragarhi.:confused:

TOo many WIPs, gotta stop somewhere...:(

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
bhagat

i came back to forum after quite some time and checked your blog... nice work...keep it up !!

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
BABA DEEP SINGH JI!
3116231858_4c024f3263.jpg

thats right!!!

Prints/posters will be made available as soon as Mom gives a checkmark.:D lol
Keep an eye out!
Sikhi Art
prince911 on deviantART
Flickr: prince911's Photostream

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Painde Khan has said to have faced Guru Gobind Snigh ji with full armour covering every bit of his body, except for his ears. Guru ji strikes at this point and ends his life in battle.
I found out that even the most common mughal armour has some sort of ear protection. So what armour is Painde Khan wearing?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM