• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Sikh War Memorial Uk

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi 19 December Early Day Motion in the British House of Commons seeking the setting up of a National Sikh War Memorial in Central London.

“That this house appreciates the extraordinary bravery and sacrifices of Sikh soldiers in service of Great Britain, including during both World Wars, and supports the erection of a permanent national monument in a prime central London location to commemorate and highlight these contributions; further notes that for over a decade there has been a demand from various quarters for the installation of such a national monument; welcomes the recent statement by the Mayor of London who said it is only right that these brave individuals should have a memorial in our capital city; notes that, though Sikhs made up only two per cent of the population of British India, they formed 20 per cent of the British Indian Army during the First World War, and that hundreds of thousands of Sikh soldiers saw active service during the two major wars and many other conflicts; further notes that more than 83,000 turbaned Sikh soldiers laid down their lives and more than 100,000 were injured during the World Wars; and calls on the Government to actively support a memorial dedicated to those who made or were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom of our country.”

I personally disagree with the campaign championed by MP Tan Dhesi for the creation of a 'Sikh' war memorial in London..

What do people think about this campaign?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Why are people refraining from engaging?

Providing a context to your thoughts would be helpful. Like what i did in your first post. Not many members may be from UK... perhaps a general lack of interest in this topic...

Personally, i think, it is important for any upcoming generation to get inspiration from its glorious history. Sikh history needs to be re-established, a history which is mostly untold or mostly unscrupulously told... I see nothing cynical about the move...

What is cynical in this move?
What is the premise of your apprehension(s)?
What are your apprehensions?

I'm quite disappointed with tan dhesi

Why disappointment?

I am sure he is doing much more for the people, who elected him, than just demanding a war memorial... maybe it was a part of his election manifesto...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
A Side Note......

Gurpreet Singh Anand
January 11, 2016 · Edited ·

Names of European officials killed .
The Sikhs died unsung and were cremated en-masse no one taking their count or their names -none bothered and none have to date . — in Chilianwala, Punjab, Pakistan.

Gurpreet Singh Anand

Sikh memorial in Pakistan.jpg

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Providing a context to your thoughts would be helpful. Like what i did in your firm post. Not many members may be from UK... perhaps a general lack of interest in this topic...

Personally, i think, it is important for any upcoming generation to get inspiration from its glorious history. Sikh history needs to be re-established, a history which is mostly untold or mostly unscrupulously told... I see nothing cynical about the move...

Why disappointment?

I am sure he is doing much more for the people, who elected him, than just demanding a war memorial... maybe it was a part of his election manifesto...
Thank you for responding.. Please give me some time to formulate a adequate reply..

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Providing a context to your thoughts would be helpful. Like what i did in your first post. Not many members may be from UK... perhaps a general lack of interest in this topic...

Why disappointment?

I don't understand why we need a memorial that is religiously specific..

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

Why disappointment?

Why do 'Sikhs' need their own war memorial?
Their is no Christian or Muslim or atheist war memorial. It feels like a perpetuation and reinforcement of crass identity chauvinism..

If there was to be a 'Sikh' war memorial surely it would be acknowledging all the lives lost.. One which said every loss of life should be remembered.. One which said this terrible thing happened and we remember all the dead.. Transcending any identity politics..

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

Why disappointment?

What are your own thoughts @Aman Singh?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
What are your own thoughts @Aman Singh?

Personally, I see no issue as it would a first monument if its kind in UK.

Update:
Tan Dhesi said:
Absolutely thrilled to have hosted a historical gathering of cross party MPs, Lords, the Mayor of #London, community representatives and social activists in the Houses of Parliament this evening. London Mayor Sadiq Khan, Speaker of the House of Commons Rt Hon #JohnBercow MP, Cabinet Minister Sajid Javid MP, the Leader of the Opposition Jeremy Corbyn MP, Vince Cable MP (Leader of Liberal Democrats), Liz Saville Roberts AS/MP (Parliamentary Leader, Plaid Cymru), Nigel Dodds MP (Parliamentary Leader, DUP), and John McDonnell MP (Shadow Chancellor) all united, along with dozens of Parliamentarians, to show their support for a National Sikh War Memorial in a central London location. Messages of support from Ian Blackford MP (Parliamentary Leader, SNP), Tom Watson MP (Deputy Leader, Labour Party) and Caroline Lucas MP (Leader, Green Party) were read out to the impressive large gathering.

A staggering £375,000 has already been pledged by fifteen generous donors, donating £25,000 each. Hopefully with the announced active support of the Government, the Mayor of London and the local authorities, we will in the very near future have a permanent national monument in a befitting central London location. It would have huge additional benefits for community cohesion and integration within our country - something which is very close to my heart.

Really grateful to everyone who attended. Together, we will finally achieve this longstanding community aspiration for our country.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Personally, I see no issue as it would a first monument if its kind in UK.

Update:
Why is it not specific to the battalions? If the message of guru nanak dev ji illuminates us to the idea that religious identity is a false construct then surely creating a memorial, exclusively for 'sikhs' is absolutely anathema ?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Seriously dude, i have absolutely no idea what is fuss is all about... in the end its just a war memorial... :confused:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM