• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh & Non-Sikh Relationship/marriage

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Note I said between two humans, because I think many people suuffer from the 12th Night Syndrom i.e. they are more in love with the idea of being IN love!

Randip ji,

Indeed I did note that distincntsion. But to which other species is the charge love your God and love each other as you would your God, directed to? Also if I am to love others as I love God, whom am I directed to love, the cat, the fish, the dog, other humans?

Being in love with the idea of love is also very, very normal. Love grows, it deepens it looses it's adolesant vibe as we loose our adolesance, in short it changes and the lucky ones may well learn that the idea of love means nowt when compared to actual love, to loving and being loved.

Not only is it the greatest of commands it is the greatest force. In real ways people have been known to kill and die for it.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji,

Indeed I did note that distincntsion. But to which other species is the charge love your God and love each other as you would your God, directed to? Also if I am to love others as I love God, whom am I directed to love, the cat, the fish, the dog, other humans?

Being in love with the idea of love is also very, very normal. Love grows, it deepens it looses it's adolesant vibe as we loose our adolesance, in short it changes and the lucky ones may well learn that the idea of love means nowt when compared to actual love, to loving and being loved.

Not only is it the greatest of commands it is the greatest force. In real ways people have been known to kill and die for it.

You final sentence sums up my misgivings.

If the Tenth Master had acted to kill for the love of his children, he would have been no better than the rest of us!

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
You final sentence sums up my misgivings.

If the Tenth Master had acted to kill for the love of his children, he would have been no better than the rest of us!

Randip ji,

You have misgivings about love?

All of our Guru ji's are differant from us this is clear, they exist on a higher moral plane than us mere humans. Yet Guru Gobhind Singh ji, did go to war, did fight, did kill out of love, love for those who suffer. He killed, and caused others to kil,l to aleviate their suffering at the hands of other humans. His actions speak loudly of the love he had for these people.

For a father to kill in order to protect his children, this is normal is it not?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji,

You have misgivings about love?

All of our Guru ji's are differant from us this is clear, they exist on a higher moral plane than us mere humans. Yet Guru Gobhind Singh ji, did go to war, did fight, did kill out of love, love for those who suffer. He killed, and caused others to kil,l to aleviate their suffering at the hands of other humans. His actions speak loudly of the love he had for these people.

For a father to kill in order to protect his children, this is normal is it not?

I have misgivings about what people thin IS love.

Perhaps I should be more clearer.

ik-jivan

SPNer
May 3, 2010
Do you think that if Bullah Shah and Mother Teresa of Avila were to have wed they would have disputed over their devotional practices? There is a point within all religions where only the Divine, Universal essence remains. Sants, Gianis, Jnanas, Baktas, Sufis and Jivan-Muktas see nothing but the Divine and feel nothing but love and compassion.

I think that whenever any two join with aspirations to mutually assist each other to achieve that perspective and understanding, the marriage can and will succeed. The binding is everlasting, because the real objective that binds them together is God and they see God within each other. They can accept each other’s seeming imperfections, because they recognise that they are not the other person’s problems, but one’s own difficulty in accepting and believing that God lives within and guides the spouse too.

But what happens when life-partners are not practising at the same devotional level? If two become one, in which direction will this one move to maintain harmony? I have read of a Sufi mystic whose wife was rude and inhospitable to visitors, who came for his advice. When asked about her, the Sufi explained that it was she who reminded him of what he did not want to be!

Regarding Andrew ji and his Amritdhari fiancé, how can we know what is destined? Yet Narayanjot Kaur ji, you raise a very valid point. Would she become a patit by not marrying a Sikh man and does she take her Amrit vows and obligations too lightly?

Perhaps Andrew ji should review the Sikh Rehat Maryada and then talk to his Amritdhari fiancé directly about her Sikh vows. http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_six.html

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Do you think that if Bullah Shah and Mother Teresa of Avila were to have wed they would have disputed over their devotional practices? There is a point within all religions where only the Divine, Universal essence remains. Sants, Gianis, Jnanas, Baktas, Sufis and Jivan-Muktas see nothing but the Divine and feel nothing but love and compassion.

I like this point you make about love!

ik-jivan

SPNer
May 3, 2010
Randip Singh ji,
Yes, it’s a nice conceptual ideal, but it is rarely manifest. How many humans actually practice devotion to the degree mentioned? Maybe 1%. And how many even recognize the spiritual value of attempting to reunite the male and female psyches? Unfortunately, the ideal of unconditional love will have to wait some time for our thinking minds and volatile emotions to catch up and mature. In the meantime, I sense most of us will continue mistaking ‘liking’ and ‘preferring’ due to samskaras for love. Nonetheless, we all keep trying and will eventually reach the ideal, realizing our potential.

There are many contrasts of reality that give rise to the illusion of duality, but male-female is the starkest of them all. How obvious a message from the Divine this is, to indicate that unity is the only means of survival. Not one grain of wheat, not one fruit, not one man, nor woman would be here without cooperative union.

We have a profoundly ingenious Creator! He fixes the foundation of harmony with the cement of compromise! And harmonious households are the foundation stones of a peaceful community. Truly, if men and women can learn to live in real harmony, there is hope for the same between all peoples.

Sat Sri Akal,
t

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM