• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Names Like Parvati

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I am confused about how Sikhs view Hindu Deity. For instance, would it be acceptable for a Sikh to use the Name Parvati as a Divine Name? I have found references to Hindu Deity in the Gru Granth Sahib and I'm not sure how it is meant to be understood.

Is it similar to the Name Allah as a Sikh Name for God?

Jasnoor :sippingcoffee:

Charan

SPNer
Mar 15, 2010
Re: Names like Parvati

kintay naamaa ant na jaani-aa tum sar naahee avar haray.

You have so many Names, Lord, I do not know their limit. There is no other equal to You.

The literal meaning of Parvati is mountain stream, and since God is all-pervading, he is also Parvati =) Anyway, I think your question was how calling God Parvati is looked upon, considering that Parvati was a Hindu Goddess. I wouldn't mind someone calling God Parvati... And I assume neither would God himself. I don't see how anyone, be it a Sikh or Hindu, would get offended if you called God Parvati. Though it is not normal for Sikhs to call God Parvati, there shouldn't really be a problem...

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

I am confused about how Sikhs view Hindu Deity. For instance, would it be acceptable for a Sikh to use the Name Parvati as a Divine Name? I have found references to Hindu Deity in the Gru Granth Sahib and I'm not sure how it is meant to be understood.

Is it similar to the Name Allah as a Sikh Name for God?

Jasnoor :sippingcoffee:
Jasnoor and Charan: My understanding of God as per Sikhi and Sikhism that I understand,

• God is within each of us
    • It is there whether you are a Sikh, Hindu, Muslim, Christian or even atheist
  • The issue is discovery of God
    • Sikhism encourages you to discover withing and saves you from wandering around to find Him elsewhere even though it is everywhere too
    • Hiduism says (from what I understand) you need a guide (basically Brahmins) to find it
      • They can dictate it to be in a murti, in an animal, etc.
    • Muslims say Mohamed was God
      • You follow Him and his guidance you will go to heaven and God is there
    • Christians say Jesus is your saviour and you are going to achieve God through him
      • All believers will be resurrected
  • The core difference
    • Sikhism says God within and everywhere
      • Internal
      • For me first place to look
    • The other cited namely Hiduism, Muslim and Christians
      • God claimed by a person or assigned to an object or deity
      • External
So for me God's name can be just as examples, Aman Singh, Randip Singh, Jasnoor, Charan, Jasbirkaleka, Bhagatsingh, Gyani Jarnail Singh, Mai Harinder Kaur, Ishna, Kamala, etc.

So each is born with God. Question is who is wandering (bhatkda firda) versus trying to discover.

Sat Sri Akalkudihugkaurhug

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

Wonderful! I've never heard it put so beautifully. Such tolerance and inclusion

So when I feel called to honor the Divine Nature as the names of other religions, there is Guru? I view the Names of the Divine as Rays that reach out. Some are warmed by one Ray and some by other Rays. Is this a Sikh view as well?

Jasnoor:happykaur:

kintay naamaa ant na jaani-aa tum sar naahee avar haray.

You have so many Names, Lord, I do not know their limit. There is no other equal to You.

The literal meaning of Parvati is mountain stream, and since God is all-pervading, he is also Parvati =) Anyway, I think your question was how calling God Parvati is looked upon, considering that Parvati was a Hindu Goddess. I wouldn't mind someone calling God Parvati... And I assume neither would God himself. I don't see how anyone, be it a Sikh or Hindu, would get offended if you called God Parvati. Though it is not normal for Sikhs to call God Parvati, there shouldn't really be a problem...

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

I am blessed by what you share here with me. Thank you.

It seems the Sikh path is about opening up vs. closing down...accepting vs. rejecting...giving vs. denying. Is that true?

Jasnoor

Jasnoor and Charan: My understanding of God as per Sikhi and Sikhism that I understand,

• God is within each of us
    • It is there whether you are a Sikh, Hindu, Muslim, Christian or even atheist
  • The issue is discovery of God
    • Sikhism encourages you to discover withing and saves you from wandering around to find Him elsewhere even though it is everywhere too
    • Hiduism says (from what I understand) you need a guide (basically Brahmins) to find it
      • They can dictate it to be in a murti, in an animal, etc.
    • Muslims say Mohamed was God
    • Christians say Jesus is your saviour and you are going to achieve God through him
      • All believers will be resurrected
  • The core difference
    • Sikhism says God within and everywhere
      • Internal
      • For me first place to look
    • The other cited namely Hiduism, Muslim and Christians
      • God claimed by a person or assigned to an object or deity
      • External
So for me God's name can be Aman, Randip, Jasnoor, Charan, etc.

So each is born with God. Question is who is wandering (bhatkda firda) versus trying to discover.

Charan

SPNer
Mar 15, 2010

I am glad I was able to help! :yes:

I view the Names of the Divine as Rays that reach out. Some are warmed by one Ray and some by other Rays. Is this a Sikh view as well?

I would say yes indeed! Sikhi teaches us to not force anyone into a religion. Sikhs should be open to people of any religious background. As Sikhs, we should in fact look at different religions as different ways of getting to that One God. As you say, so nicely, some are warmed by one ray and some by other rays.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

So for me God's name can be just as examples, Aman Singh, Randip Singh, Jasnoor, Charan, Jasbirkaleka, Bhagatsingh, Gyani Jarnail Singh, Mai Harinder Kaur, Ishna, Kamala, etc.

gingerteakaur everyone except spnadmin ji LOL She is the mean one.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

gingerteakaur everyone except spnadmin ji LOL She is the mean one.
I knew I was going to make some big mistake and so I did. They say never assume. Guess what! I assumed that Aman Singh and spnadmin were Twinspeacesign

I did want to make one more point why the growth of some of the non-sikh religions is so prevalent. It is so easy to take the easy way out for finding so called external God. You either call somebody God (Ram, Ganesh, Savitri, ...) or they can claim to be God or near God (Mohamed, Jesus, Babbey, Sant/mahant, etc.).

Perhaps it could be a different topic, but it would be good to state where one is with Internal discovery of God within as perceived by self as well as they believe they are perceived by others.

For example I think I am at 20% of internal discovery of God within and others may perceive me at 15%. I don't know where the discrepancy comes from (perhaps combination of kam, karodh, lobh, moh and hankar)!

I do believe the people mentioned including spnadmin are at 20%+ from what I can ascertain from their writing.

Just musing.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: The expressions here are only philosophical and not meant to denigrate or otherwise impact so as to make someone appear inferior to others.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Ambarsarsia ji

Of course I was joking and a few of us did have a good laugh. And someone has to be the mean one sometimes.

Your idea of a thread on the journey to internal discovery is a good idea and would make a popular thread imho. People do like to look inward and reflect. I encourage you to begin such a thread with a little reflection of your own to get it started. Perhaps it would be wise to describe the milestones, clues, "maps" and "roadways", struggles and setbacks, big and small discoveries of self, so that there is some direction to the discussion. And also memorable advice one has received for good or for naught. :)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

So when I feel called to honor the Divine Nature as the names of other religions, there is Guru? I view the Names of the Divine as Rays that reach out. Some are warmed by one Ray and some by other Rays. Is this a Sikh view as well?

Jasnoor:happykaur:

Jasnoor I am giving my own thoughts to what you have stated in the two posts above as excerpted below.

"So when I feel called to honor the Divine Nature as the names of other religions, there is Guru? I view the Names of the Divine as Rays that reach out. Some are warmed by one Ray and some by other Rays. Is this a Sikh view as well?"

.... Jasnoor each and everyone of us is an emitter of rays and receptor of rays. So Sikhi is practical religion which allows all boats to rise, i.e. as you become God like you will start perceiving others as God like. So we are not just passive receivers of rays but also sources of the same for others.

"It seems the Sikh path is about opening up vs. closing down...accepting vs. rejecting...giving vs. denying. Is that true?"

.... Jasnoor I personally will agree with your statements other than giving vs. denying as I don't know if these are truly antonyms.

Great comments.

Sat Sri Akal.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

I would love that thread, too. I just sat here contemplating for a moment how the Divine Essence is inside me not outside me and for the first time, I felt very close to getting it. The thing that is very strong right now is how I've looked outside myself for the Divine and that is why I'm having so much trouble knowing the Divine. This is why it is important to understand God as formless perhaps?

Sat Sri Akaal
Jasnoor

Ambarsarsia ji

Of course I was joking and a few of us did have a good laugh. And someone has to be the mean one sometimes.

Your idea of a thread on the journey to internal discovery is a good idea and would make a popular thread imho. People do like to look inward and reflect. I encourage you to begin such a thread with a little reflection of your own to get it started. Perhaps it would be wise to describe the milestones, clues, "maps" and "roadways", struggles and setbacks, big and small discoveries of self, so that there is some direction to the discussion. And also memorable advice one has received for good or for naught. :)

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

If one is started, could someone send me the link to it. I'm still so confused trying to find my way around in forums.

Jasnoor

Ambarsarsia ji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

jasnoor ji

No one started it yet. But I will keep my eye peeled for you. Whenever you have difficulty finding something, you can ask me to help. Thanks.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA

Thank you! I would start it myself, but I think it would be better if a Sikh started it so the wording is done well; I am only beginning to learn so I don't feel qualified. :)

Jasnooricecreamkudi

jasnoor ji

No one started it yet. But I will keep my eye peeled for you. Whenever you have difficulty finding something, you can ask me to help. Thanks.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

It is the kind of thing, jasnoor ji, that should probably be started when someone is deeply moved and has no reservations. I share the interest in hearing what this spiritual journey has been like for other people. This is the kind of story that can turn on our minds, light a fire.

There is also a down-side.

The biggest challenge, perhaps risk, for the person beginning such a thread are the misperceptions that some members might have. That would, and I have seen this already, lead to taunting, criticism and second-guessing. Painful if you are the person who is trying to share openly. So this is something that may happen, or perhaps not.

The problem for readers in such a thread is that of wondering whether a person talking about spiritual enlightenment is bogus -- a sham of some kind. Or perhaps someone swamped by his/her own ego and greatly deluded, and able to mislead others.

We shall see.

celtic

SPNer
Jan 11, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I'm sorry to be off-topic for a moment, but in the name of comparative religion and equality among religion ..

Muslims say Mohamed was God

This it not quite right (according to my understanding; please correct me if I am wrong or out of line, though sources are appreciated!). It's my understanding that Muhammad (pbuh) is very definitely not God, but rather his Messenger; hence recitation of "la ilaha illallah, muhammadar rasullallah" being an article of faith for Muslims ("There is no god but Allah [i.e. the one God/Creator], [and] Muhammad is his messenger"). Muhammad is never equated with God, but rather with the previous Messengers before him in the Abrahamic line (including Jesus, Moses, Zoroaster, Abraham, ... maybe some more I've forgotten).

But you're spot on in saying that by following his guidance (which comprise the ahadith), and of course the instructions in the Qur'an (which he guides you to), you'll go to heaven. I'm not sure if "God is there" as such, but certainly His presence is.

You're also right in the dichotomy of "internal" vs. "external." Thank you for your insight :happysingh:

Apologies again, and no offense meant by "correcting" (though I am open to corrections!).

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Celtic ji I have no problem you correcting me. Hence I learn too like all SPNers. I update the part here a bit and not my words in the first sentence but from a website appear to be written in the essence you described,

• Muslims believe that Muhammad was a messenger of Allah (Arabic for The One and Only God) and last of the prophets sent by Allah to guide man to the right path.
    • You follow Him and his guidance you will go to heaven
Just for your and others general perusal,

• Professor Sahib Singh ji (an pre-eminet scholar who wrote "Guru Granth Darpan") who wrote a treatise and explained the meanings in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji states in one area that from Sikhism perspective,
    • Hindus are blind in both eyes to their souls
      • They created an External God only
      • They put the external God in murtis and captured Him in Mandirs
    • Muslims are only blind in one eye
      • They created an External God only (did not put Him inside slave objects or locations)
    • Sikhism sees God everywhere Internal/external and does not require a professed or believed messenger to understand or discover Him/Her/It and does not enslave Him/Her/It within any restrictive concepts
Sat Sri Akal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM