• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Name

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Hi,

it kind of embarrasses me to ask this question and to make this request, but I have been able to encourage myself to do it.

I'm a new identifying sikh. I have written a couple of threads in this forum (convert's corner) that might serve you to gather an idea of where I am in this path which is new to me. As a summary I'm a (very) new Sikh from Spain. I'm attending the local gurudwara at times and meditating and reading (part, for now) of the nitnem banis (almost) daily. Step by step.... :) I'm reading posts here from which I'm learning quite a lot and reading from other sources too. Also I have been lucky to be welcome at the house of a local sikh from the Punjab that answered some of my questions. I'm very happy about this new journey.

As I wrote in my thread "many questions :) " I've been considering getting a Sikh name as a way to remind me my purpose in this journey. In the same way I always wear a kara or I use a chunni when reading the banis at home.
I understand that for those born in Sikhi it might be unimportant to have a Sikh name or not, but for me it would be like a new birth, a simbol of my commitment to learning. Now I feel ready for this but I'm far too shy to ask for the first letter of the hukamnama to the members of the local gurudwara. A few already know me and talk to me when I go there. I feel extremely welcome. But still I would feel weird asking for it.

My question and request are: would it be proper to ask for a member of the forum to take the first letter of the hukamnama and would someone be willing to do it for me?
After this I am suppossed to choose myself a name, right? One that I find beautiful or whose meaning I feel identify with. Am I correct? For me it would be specially nice to find a name with prefixes or suffixes that meant one of the virtues I wish to develop in myself (peace, love, courage...) (Aman- ; - preet; - jeet...)

My life is happy and beautiful and at the same time hectic and stressful at times and I need reminders for me to keep myself in this new path. A name would be a very beautiful constant reminder. So, if it is proper to get a name this way, I'd be very grateful if someone was willing to help me.

Love,

Ester

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Hi,

it kind of embarrasses me to ask this question and to make this request, but I have been able to encourage myself to do it.

I'm a new identifying sikh. I have written a couple of threads in this forum (convert's corner) that might serve you to gather an idea of where I am in this path which is new to me. As a summary I'm a (very) new Sikh from Spain. I'm attending the local gurudwara at times and meditating and reading (part, for now) of the nitnem banis (almost) daily. Step by step.... :) I'm reading posts here from which I'm learning quite a lot and reading from other sources too. Also I have been lucky to be welcome at the house of a local sikh from the Punjab that answered some of my questions. I'm very happy about this new journey.

As I wrote in my thread "many questions :) " I've been considering getting a Sikh name as a way to remind me my purpose in this journey. In the same way I always wear a kara or I use a chunni when reading the banis at home.
I understand that for those born in Sikhi it might be unimportant to have a Sikh name or not, but for me it would be like a new birth, a simbol of my commitment to learning. Now I feel ready for this but I'm far too shy to ask for the first letter of the hukamnama to the members of the local gurudwara. A few already know me and talk to me when I go there. I feel extremely welcome. But still I would feel weird asking for it.

My question and request are: would it be proper to ask for a member of the forum to take the first letter of the hukamnama and would someone be willing to do it for me?
After this I am suppossed to choose myself a name, right? One that I find beautiful or whose meaning I feel identify with. Am I correct? For me it would be specially nice to find a name with prefixes or suffixes that meant one of the virtues I wish to develop in myself (peace, love, courage...) (Aman- ; - preet; - jeet...)

My life is happy and beautiful and at the same time hectic and stressful at times and I need reminders for me to keep myself in this new path. A name would be a very beautiful constant reminder. So, if it is proper to get a name this way, I'd be very grateful if someone was willing to help me.

Love,

Ester

I am not a SIkh per se, but I admire your devotion and love, however, in my view, this is something personal to you that should not involve another, why not just watch the live feed from Amritsar tomorrow and use that, its a lot more personal, and this is a personal thing, either that or just turn up at the Gurudwara one day and do the same, if you feel you are missing the validation and kudos, which is normal and understandable, then that is a different matter, but if you just wish to be reborn, well, I think thats personal.

I may have used the word personal a few too many times, apologies

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
..its not you but the spirit awakening....surrender to it, disengage the mind and let chance take you places.
I'm a new identifying sikh. I have written a couple of threads in this forum (convert's corner) that might serve you to gather an idea of where I am in this path which is new to me.
..the path is new to you but you're not new to the path. The Guru appears when the student [Sikh] is ready - journey ahead is spiritual not physical. Trust each n every decision you make on account "guru" is taking me somewhere, the you somewhere.
I'm far too shy to ask for the first letter of the hukamnama
...is it your modesty or inability to rise above such social perimeters ? Just as the bride n groom tie knots at the alter of Truth [SGGSJ] so must you, alone, reach out to your spiritual husband SGGSJ and take the letter to be His for ever. The relationship is between you and the Guru, not third party.
..nothing improper, but definitely illegal to serve husband via proxy you.
..bless you !
It will be phenomenally beautiful and truly rewarding if you were to find the courage to square up to your husband and take His "letter" directly from Him.

Good luck n God bless

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Thank you so much Harry ji and Original Ji for your responses,

They helped me to make my decision of finding the letter myself.

I admire your devotion and love
I feel honoured for this

..its not you but the spirit awakening....surrender to it, disengage the mind and let chance take you places.

This is inspiring :)

the path is new to you but you're not new to the path.
It sounds beautiful to me....

..is it your modesty or inability to rise above such social perimeters ?
It is the fear that I won't be able to express myself well enough for the community to understand that my reasons are honest and that I am truly commited to this path. It is most likely a unreasonable fear but .... still...

It will be phenomenally beautiful and truly rewarding if you were to find the courage to square up to your husband and take His "letter" directly from Him.

I found it :)

Now that I'm decided to find myself the letter I would still like it in the traditional way by opening the SGGSJ at a random page. I found this indications...but from "is a vaar (ode)...." it's most confusing to me, even though I am trying to learn and understant the structure of the SGGSJ and the meaning of different relevant terms as "pauri", "salok" etc:

"For taking the command (Hukam), the hymn (shabad) that is continuing on the top of the left hand Ang must be read from the beginning. If the hymn begins on the previous Ang, turn over the Ang and read the whole hymn from the beginning to the end. If the scriptural composition that is continuing on the top of the left hand Ang is a vaar (ode) then start from the first of the saloks preceding the pauri and read upto the end of the pauri. "

Also, unfortunately a printed copy of the SGGSJ with transliteration and translation it is far too expensive for me to purchase it. I found online versions like this one :http://www.srigurugranth.org/0002.htm,. I guess I could simply introduce a random number in the Ang number box, but even if I worked out which is the actual letter I have to pick (which I cannot do as I do not really understand how to do it) I would still doubt what is the actual roman letter I have to choose. For example, here PAGE 2 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib. is every first roman letter of each verse always corresponding to the first Gurmukhi letter of the verse above?

I'd be grateful to anyone willing to help me on this.

Love,
Ester

Balbir27

Look for what is, not what you think should be
Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2017
@Ester

I may be wrong, but I believe Original meant that you should directly approach the source.

Let me explain -
Firstly, the Internet versions of the SGGS do not truly follow the actual pages of the SGGS - even I was misled and had to seek clarification. You may possibly get confused and it is not the same thing as actually doing it in the Gurudawara.

Secondly, the SGGS in the Gurudawara is written in the Gurmukhi language, with no English translations or phonetic representations. So you have the pure original form in its original pages.

You appear to have reached a pivotal point in your life, by your own choosing, where you wish to take re-birth, so to speak, in pursuit of the Spiritual Truth following Nanakian Philosophy which does not set any rules, has no barriers and does not make any distinctions. What better than to sit in front of the SGGS, and have the Divine Hand pick out and tell you what the first letter of your new you should be? Don't deprive yourself of the beauty of the spiritual experience in this one chance in a lifetime situation. I believe this was Original's message.

The only thing required is courage from your shyness. You've reached here so far, take that 1 step more. So go to the Gurudawara (the time or day does not matter), seek out the Granthi (priest) and tell him what you wish to have done. He will be more than happy to fulfil your wishes. Take a friend, if you wish.

God will always guide his true devotees.

Sat Sri Akal

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Also, unfortunately a printed copy of the SGGSJ with transliteration and translation it is far too expensive for me to purchase it. I found online versions like this one :http://www.srigurugranth.org/0002.htm,. I guess I could simply introduce a random number in the Ang number box, but even if I worked out which is the actual letter I have to pick (which I cannot do as I do not really understand how to do it) I would still doubt what is the actual roman letter I have to choose. For example, here PAGE 2 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib. is every first roman letter of each verse always corresponding to the first Gurmukhi letter of the verse above?

thats easy, just paste the word or the link, and someone here will give you the key letter, I am sure the folks here will even suggest a few names

Balbir27

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2017
I am not a SIkh per se

Kindly explain, how you are giving advice to Ester, who wishes to embrace Sikhism, when you, appear to be apart from it.

This is a very pertinent question asked very respectfully.

Sat Sri Akal

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Kindly explain, how you are giving advice to Ester, who wishes to embrace Sikhism, when you, appear to be apart from it.

This is a very pertinent question asked very respectfully.

Sat Sri Akal

We are here, on this forum, because we question the traditional ways, the long established ways, we want to ask question, we want answers, we want debate, I could not consider myself a full Sikh because there are too many questions, and if I stand up and pronounce my opinion as a Sikh, then I am intimating my Sikhi is better than your Sikhi, something which I have no wish to do, so it is easier to make opinions as a Sikh per se, as then they remain my own opinions, and not what I feel Sikhism should be, I am apart from what you may consider traditional Sikhism, and out of respect for traditional Sikhism, the Sikhism of my parents, I label myself a SIkh per se.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Which means you are not a Sikh, but you are in favour of Sikhism? Right?

for that you would have to fully define what is a SIkh, and what is Sikhism, perhaps a new thread would stop this one being hijacked, I would be happy to answer any questions you have

Balbir27

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2017
Ester
Please don't mind us. It is good and quite normal to question ourselves and I hope you find your path regardless.

Harry Haller
My apologies for I have no right to question you like that. You do, however, raise a fundamental question which I have pondered over many times and which you have also raised now and then in your posts globally. Quite rightly so. And it most certainly requires a new thread. But not for you or me personally. All SPNers should be participants. What is a Sikh and what is Sikhism?

Sat Sri Akal

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
@Ester

I may be wrong, but I believe Original meant that you should directly approach the source.

Let me explain -
Firstly, the Internet versions of the SGGS do not truly follow the actual pages of the SGGS - even I was misled and had to seek clarification. You may possibly get confused and it is not the same thing as actually doing it in the Gurudawara.

Secondly, the SGGS in the Gurudawara is written in the Gurmukhi language, with no English translations or phonetic representations. So you have the pure original form in its original pages.

You appear to have reached a pivotal point in your life, by your own choosing, where you wish to take re-birth, so to speak, in pursuit of the Spiritual Truth following Nanakian Philosophy which does not set any rules, has no barriers and does not make any distinctions. What better than to sit in front of the SGGS, and have the Divine Hand pick out and tell you what the first letter of your new you should be? Don't deprive yourself of the beauty of the spiritual experience in this one chance in a lifetime situation. I believe this was Original's message.

The only thing required is courage from your shyness. You've reached here so far, take that 1 step more. So go to the Gurudawara (the time or day does not matter), seek out the Granthi (priest) and tell him what you wish to have done. He will be more than happy to fulfil your wishes. Take a friend, if you wish.

God will always guide his true devotees.

Sat Sri Akal

Thank you so much, BalbirJi for helping me to understand. It makes absolutely sense to me. I felt moved before the possibility of going to the Gurudwara and pick the letter myself from the SGGS. I will go this evening and let you all know what's the result. I'm most happy about it.

thats easy, just paste the word or the link, and someone here will give you the key letter, I am sure the folks here will even suggest a few names
Thanks a lot. It could be a good idea but I found the courage to go to the Gurudwara this evening :). I have a list of names begining with every Gurmukhi letter but some letters have no names that I like. So, I might need some suggestions if the letter ends up being one of these. :)

Ester
Please don't mind us. It is good and quite normal to question ourselves and I hope you find your path regardless.

Please, don't worry at all :)
It is nice and interesting to see you all interact one another in this forum. I'm learning a lot from it.

Love,
Ester

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks a lot. It could be a good idea but I found the courage to go to the Gurudwara this evening :). I have a list of names begining with every Gurmukhi letter but some letters have no names that I like. So, I might need some suggestions if the letter ends up being one of these. :)

You will have to excuse me, some find me quite rude, I am not rude, I just ask a lot of questions, my question is this, what is the point of all this if there are some letters you do not like, why not just choose a name you like and take that? I think the whole process is to submit to a higher power and accept a name from that power, regardless of what letter, and be happy and grateful for it, I don't quite understand where like comes into it, your talking about joining the pure, surely liking certain names is irrelevant, names are for gravestones.

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
You will have to excuse me, some find me quite rude, I am not rude, I just ask a lot of questions, my question is this, what is the point of all this if there are some letters you do not like, why not just choose a name you like and take that? I think the whole process is to submit to a higher power and accept a name from that power, regardless of what letter, and be happy and grateful for it, I don't quite understand where like comes into it, your talking about joining the pure, surely liking certain names is irrelevant, names are for gravestones.

Harry Ji,
I don't find you rude at all. I have an inquisitive mind too :) and I see respect in your question. I'm very glad to replay.

It is not that there are letters that I dislike per se but that in my list of names there are letters for which I have no name in the list that I like. (Sorry, I'm not an English native speaker and I'm not capable of express this better) It's just a couple of letters, though. And I'm confident that if I pick one of theses letters from the SGGSJ I will either find a name that I like or I will come to accept and later to like and embrace one of the ones I don't like that much.

I believe I could be guided by God to find a suitable name by picking a random name directly from my list, or even to be inspired to choose the right one if I meditate in silence, but I find it very beautiful to find this inspiration directly from the SGGS. Different paths to reach the same point. I'm just choosing the path that, for some reason I don't know, makes me feel more conected with God and with myself.

Does it make sense? :)

Love, Ester

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
And I'm confident that if I pick one of theses letters from the SGGSJ I will either find a name that I like or I will come to accept and later to like and embrace one of the ones I don't like that much.

again, I am not nit picking, but the whole point of what you are doing is to avoid the above, and accept that a name is just a name given by God

Balbir27

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2017
Ester Ji

I think Harry has a point, in that, regardless of which letter you receive, one accepts it completely. There is no place for like or dislike etc. Admittedly, some letters can create difficulty in finding names, but even that is a surmountable challenge.

Remember that one receives only the first letter, and God gives you the choice of the name!
Kindly let us know how you get on.

Sat Sri Akal

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I found it :)
WOW !!!!!..found what, the courage, name or the letter ?
Now that I'm decided to find myself the letter I would still like it in the traditional way by opening the SGGSJ at a random page.
...the traditional way would be to go to the Gurdwara and request a member of staff to anoint you with the letter for name sake, who will, as you've correctly observed, open the SGGSJ at a random page and give you the letter. However, should you want to commit yourself in picking the letter yourself then no problem, because the objective is the one and the same, that is, a Sikh name. The beauty in all that you're doing and experiencing is based on "belief" - and that belief is Sikh, brought to your doorstep by those who practice n live by it.
I found this indications...but from "is a vaar (ode)...."
..that'll be Asa Di Vaar, SGGSJ, 462
it's most confusing to me, even though I am trying to learn and understant the structure of the SGGSJ and the meaning of different relevant terms as "pauri", "salok" etc:
..with time you will come to learn and understand "your" Guru [spiritual husband], just as you would your "husband" in a marital relationship.
"For taking the command (Hukam), the hymn (shabad) that is continuing on the top of the left hand Ang must be read from the beginning. If the hymn begins on the previous Ang, turn over the Ang and read the whole hymn from the beginning to the end. If the scriptural composition that is continuing on the top of the left hand Ang is a vaar (ode) then start from the first of the saloks preceding the pauri and read upto the end of the pauri. "
..the idea "sikh name" from SGGSJ is demonstrative of and commitment to a HIGHER BEING [HB] ! The reading n understanding of SGGSJ is a discipline in itself which should be learnt from qualified teachers [Granthies].
..god doesn't just play dice, god plays fairly. So yes, go ahead and pick random [Quantum Physics] numbers and open the page. Once you've opened the page kindly post it here and I'll guide you through.

speak soon !

Last edited:

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Hi,

Love,

Ester
Ester I would have to say that their is no need to think about being 'reborn'..
This journey you've been on since birth and it will continue, it's your journey esters journey..
Names are the least of your worries!

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Dear Ester

Taking account of all that has been said so far, including my own, you can see how different tongues have expressed different views on the one subject, name. This is interesting because there is bit of that "nameness" in all of them, qualifying it as it were, the doctrinal aspects associated with a Sikh name. Consider yourself fortunate therefore, to have connected with an ancestral past of time immemorial.

Enjoy

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM